Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I'm in the NC Triad area, my '98 Breeze is probably running on luck at 188k miles and I've got the cash for an upgrade.

Proposed Budget: $10k to $20k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 door, mid to fullsize sedan (maybe one of the boxy cars like Scion xB, Cube, Soul)
How will you be using the car?: work commute and errands, 100 miles a week or so.
What aspects are most important to you?: RIDE COMFORT, reliability after sitting still for a week at a time, MOPAR would be nice, at least a little zip.

My daily driver is a Volvo 670 with 630k miles on the clock and it's a horrible rattlebucket, so I want something with a very smooth ride for riding home after a week on the road. I want to ride a fluffy cloud. I like the looks of the Ford Fusion, Dodge Charger (either of the new gens) and Mazda 6. However, if there is something in that price range that is known for having the absolute smoothest ride I'm all ears. I'd like to buy used because it's just going to sit in a parking lot for a week while I'm truckin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Just drive the cars for the fun of it and then go buy what you want. Make it a game where you get to convince the dealer to let you have a 15 minute joy ride.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I've been reading the thread but not posting, so I had to go a few pages back to find this, but I've been having luck looking at cars.

Veinless posted:

A well-maintained Crown Victoria would meet your criteria of a reliable sofa-on-wheels.
Thanks for this advice. I decided to look at all Panther platform cars in the area, and I'm about to pull the trigger on a Merc Grand Marquis. Now I have a question about financing.

I can buy the car outright, but if I finance for a short term (1 year, and half of the purchase price or less I dunno) would that help my credit rating? I'm in the 500s because I lost my job back in 2008 and maxed my credit cards and got kicked out of my apartment. All that has been settled and I have a proper financial cushion and a credit card with a $1k limit that I pay off every month, so I'm wondering if getting a short term car note would help get that rating up to the 700s.

Just floating this by the BFC part of the thread.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Saxophone posted:

I suppose I'll get my car thoroughly inspected to make sure there's nothing wrong mechanically (save for the AC compressor) and consider keeping her. I'm sure that new car itch will pass if I start looking at my monthly payments on a new car. I will say I'm extremely interested in the Prius now, though.
If nothing else, start saving what you would be spending on a monthly payment and then have a bigger down payment / more emergency fund.

There was a video way on back that describes getting a beater for two or three years instead of a new car and then buying the 'new' car used with the money saved and then repeating that cycle and saving the difference and getting A MILLION DOLLARS by the end of it all. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Miata. If op is too tall, just take the top off.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

nm posted:

You do not want to get into an accident with an overweight trailer. You'll have a bad time.
Even a vehicle that is rated to tow normal things can have a bad time. I saw a full size work van get flipped over by the trailer it was towing. Speed was probably a factor but heavy trailers can push around cars and trucks and wind can make it worse.

What I'm saying is: Don't tow a shed on a little trailer. Lawnmowers and motorcycles only.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ok, so if that one's out, how about the others on the list? And is there anything I'm not thinking of?

Like, how's the Soul doing for reliability?

Kia Souls are good for reliability, shops will be more familiar with them than a Fiat 500, and they have decent ground clearance.

And they come in Alien Green which is appropriate for Nevada.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

powderific posted:

I'm so used to them being lovely used cars that I forget anyone ever bought them new.

My 2005 Grand Marquis had the original sticker in the glove box. Thanks PO old fart for taking the depreciation hit from 35k to 7k while not smoking and not driving 10k miles a year.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Throatwarbler posted:

I think the mfrs do have certain dates for clearing out the previous year's inventory, and on those dates you would have more deals, but it probably isn't the 4th of July.

http://www.chevrolet.com/sales.html

So *now* what's your excuse for not buying a manual SS you assholes?

A: I had no idea GM released a full sized rwd sedan with a V8 that wasn't a Caddy. It looks tight and if I was shopping it would go on the short list.

B: My area only has automatics in stock :argh:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Throatwarbler posted:

I find old people tend to be particular about the seating position and height, because when they sit down in a Corvette or similar they can't get back up again. So they should probably go sit in a number of sedans and SUVs and see which seating position suits them best.
This is important. Be sure to check out upright compacts like Kia Soul /Scion xB / whatever Honda replaced the Element. The upright seating position is easier on old joints and provides better vision than normal sedans.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not happy unless my car feels like an aircraft carrier.

I'd like to recommend a Duesenberg.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ciaphas posted:

When you say buying one off-lease, do you mean buying after the lease is over or buying a used one? I was led to understand the following about cars-

Also, is the depreciation on the Volt just because it's an electric and electric car tech is moving at comparatively blazing speed, or is there more to it than that?
They mean buying a used Volt that someone else leased for 3 years.

The big depreciation is for two reasons. You're right that electric cars depreciate faster because of fast moving tech. The 3 year old Volts hitting the used market depreciate even more because the 2016 model year had a major redesign with a greater range on pure battery mode.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 24, 2016

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Ignoranus: absolutely get the pre-purchase inspection. Earlier in the thread someone posted a Craigslist ad like yours, with no red flags. The PPI raised lots of red flags that aren't apparent until the car is on a lift, so they walked away. That Sentra could be just fine, or it could be crap, but a mechanic will know far more once they get a look.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jedi425 posted:

Not really, aside from what Thermopyle said; I had honestly forgotten about Mazda being a thing. No one I know owns one, so I don't hear any of the dumb anecdotal poo poo idiots like me base purchases on. :v:

But thanks for mentioning it; we'll add Mazda to the test drive day we're planning next week. Might try a Mazda3 5-door and a CX-5.

Sadly, what you really want is a 2017 Toyota Matrix, but Toyota stopped making the Matrix in 2013. The Mazda3 5-door is a solid choice. Also look around for Ford Focus 5 door / hatchback cars.

Also, the insurance company totaled your Corolla because they don't want to touch a car that had several airbags deploy because there is probably frame damage as well. It's better and safer to just give you a check (and you said they paid out well, good for them and you) than try and pay a shop $15k to repair your frame damaged deployed airbag Corolla that now has a horrible Carfax history. And another $10k for body and paint work. If the damage was anything like what happened to a buddy of mine where his Matrix was totaled, yeah, that car was gone.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

VideoTapir posted:

It's called the Corolla iM now.

Well don't I look foolish for recommending something the OP was already aware of.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nicest Ford Crown Vic / Mercury Grand Marquis you can buy in your price range

Upsides are: parts are everywhere, it's reliable, it's very simple, everyone will drive the speed limit around you, it's huge

Downsides are: finding a good one that's not beat to poo poo, atrocious fuel economy, everyone will drive the speed limit around you, it's huge
Fuel economy is horrible, but if the driver is driving less than 100 miles a week / 5000 a year, it's not a big deal.

And the shiny and chrome smile from opening up the V8 is worth the price of admission.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kafka Esq. posted:

Ok, so I have my eye on a 2015 Mazda3 hatch that has 23,000km on it, basically looks brand new except for a few dents the dealer is going to take out Tuesday or Wednesday, probably from car doors opening into the side or something. One owner, accident free.

The sticker price on the window was $16,995 and he agreed to 15k with some free junk thrown in, then I went home to sleep on it.

Does it sound like a good deal to you guys? The brakes failed on my beater and I really need a car.
Go for it. 15k in Canada bucks for a gently used Mazda 3 is fine. You might do better but it would take work and you need wheels now.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Motronic posted:

This is the best post in the thread.

(super low bar)

The best post was the goon that listened to advice. They got a PPI, the inspection found a lot of red flags, and the goon walked away from the deal.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Chrysler 200 with surprisingly cheap maintenance costs.

Ooh, 15k a year. Yeah, 60k is when Chrysler goes sour.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 17, 2017

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Number_6 posted:

Did you drive that car through ocean surf twice a day followed by a powerwash with hot nitric acid because daaaamn

Vermont winters evidently do not gently caress around.

On that note, what should he do to take better care of his next car so it doesn't turn to swiss cheese?

Also: Ignoranus: be sure to get any car inspected before purchase, because a mechanic would find crazy rust in odd places like the steering system because they can put the car on a lift and really look around in places you can't.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 5, 2017

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mezzanon posted:

Edit: Is it better to go through a dealership or can I buy off regular kijiji or local markets? Should I get cars inspected if I buy off a rando? If so, how?

You should get all used cars inspected by a trusted mechanic. It is a Pre-purchase Inspection or PPI and is totally worth it. Mechanics can put the car on a lift and know more about frequent problems that type of car would have and look for those problems.

If the seller doesn't agree to one, walk away and don't come back because they are hiding something. As for finding a good mechanic in your area, you gotta ask around. I think Car Talk's website had a source for that, but that was a while ago and US focused.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 6, 2017

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Thermopyle posted:

Depends on if its "I don't know why it vibrates because its not bad enough for me to investigate but it's probably X, Y, or Z" or if its "I don't know why it vibrates, it's a mystery I can't figure out!".

Or "I know why it vibrates but it will cost $$$ to fix and isn't a safety issue"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I can't understand for the life of me why you would ever market a cheaper, smaller van alternative to baby boomers - who will never stop loving giant poo poo - and not millennials who are now starting families. They really think the Transit Wagon is an RV alternative??

I met a retired couple that had a Dodge Sprinter as an RV alternative. It was more a place to sleep than a full home on wheels, but saving money on the RV and eating nice food instead of Franks and beans makes sense.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Your coupe requirement and fitting a bike requirement are diametrically opposed so you need to consider which one matters more to you.
Maybe a trunk mounted bike rack could work. Toodle around town in a zippy coupe without the rack and strap it on when needed.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Blitter posted:

Trunk mount racks are a hassle, and although hitch mounts are better, your girlfriend will hate you forever if her track bike gets slathered in road dirt, and when wet, gets the bearings contaminated too.

You need to fit it inside, plus other gear. If you're both short I can see a hatchback working, maybe?

Did they really sell the Volco V70 R (P2) into 2010 in Europe?!

https://m.autolina.ch/en/auto/volvo-v70/1610436
Ah, I've just seen them around, I didn't know about the hassle or think of the possibility of the bike getting junked up back there. It was just an idea.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Amara posted:

From MA to NV. MA definitely salts the roads heavily in the winter. I assume Nevada does too because mountains?
If you aren't moving to Reno or Vegas, I would buy in MA because you'll have more variety buying electric. Pickings will be slim if you're in a tiny town 4 hours from a city.

Edit: Gen 1 Volts are fine off lease, as long as you get it inspected. Finding a good mechanic that knows Volts for an inspection may be tough.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 24, 2018

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SalTheBard posted:

My wife is 5'2", I'm 6'2". If we do any amount of driving I'm assuming we'll take my Mazda 3.

Get both of you and a baby seat in the car. You never know until you put the baby seat in.

Case in point: my sister rents cars to visit family because she lives in NYC with no car. With a baby seat in the middle of the rear bench she fits just fine next to baby in a 2008 Kia Soul, but not a 2018 Kia Soul. :confused:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SalTheBard posted:

Thanks to some of the responses in this thread along with talking to a friend of mine we are also looking at Kia Optimas and Hyundai Elantras. I didn't realize that the American Car Manufacturers were in such dire shape so I'm a little nervous about buying a Domestic car right now.

A Chevy Spark is a Daewoo Matiz. Daewoo is the Korean car brand that never figured out build quality, and was so bad it disappeared from the US market only to be rebadged as Chevy. Same with the Aveo.

Chevy makes dacent cars in the Malibu and Volt and maybe Bolt, they just never bothered with making a decent sub-compact.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Why is the Prius such a standout thread favorite? I'm seeing 2010 Priusi in my area for $5k, and I'm tempted to ditch my 2004 Elantra. It's fine and trustworthy, but it's a little unrefined and starting to smell like wet dog inside when it rains (every day in Florida this time of year)
It's by far the best driving appliance. Great gas mileage, good safety, great interior space, super reliable. However, if someone wants a fun drive or power or more space or towing capacity, there are other choices.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

DNK posted:

That really needs to be an AI thread title at least once.

Buy a PT Cruiser, send it around the US to other posters, everyone replaces a part. If it's a body panel it must not color match any other body panel.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Deteriorata posted:

Well, I guess technically BFC is a subforum below this (it was originally Budget, Finance, and something).

Come on over to AI and you'll find lots of love for beaters.

Budget, Finance, and Careers.

After the name change I forgot what the B stood for. I was guessing Business.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I don't understand this. A sunroof is an open window. How is it any better than just cracking the window in a back seat?
I thought those window visor things were perfect for this application: ash out the cracked window without all of the blowback when compared a regular window.

Oh, and I totally understand "these seats are the most comfortable for me" reason. That's why one important part of car shopping is "go sit in many cars" because seats and butts are varied.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 10, 2018

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

pig slut lisa posted:

Hmmm...this seems a little backward to me, like the $200 decision would end up driving the $20,000 decision and not the other way around. It seems like there are lots of lists online when you Google "recommended car seats for [make model]" that we could make use of.

I hadn't even thought about choosing between the dozens of possible car seat choices yet... :stonklol:

You'd be surprised. My sister lives in NYC so she rents cars to visit family. The car seat she chose fits just fine in an older Kia Soul but not in the newest model. The car seat fits better in a midsized sedan compared to the upright compact hatches.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FayGate posted:

Ended up talking the guy selling the Buick down to 2000 and bought it. Of course as soon as I got home after a lengthy test drive the service engine light came on. Guy said he changed the oil a few days ago so I'm hoping it is something as simple as pressing a reset somewhere! The tires will need to be rebalanced so hopefully when I get that done I'll have them read the ODB2 code and it isn't some insanity. I have about 1000 set away for misc. repairs so here's to hoping.
Did you get a pre-purchase inspection?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FayGate posted:

No. Did not seem worth it for a 2k car. Maybe I'm wrong?

Check engine light was due to an o2 sensor showing low voltage.

I would get a PPI for any used car just because there might be something wrong that can only be seen when the car is on a lift.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

JediTalentAgent posted:

Proposed Budget: $6-13K
New or Used: Used, no more than 8 years old, under 100k
Body Style: Preferably smaller car. A wagon or hatchback.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, mostly local, but a highway trip about once a week for 1-2 hours each way. I'm coming away from 90s era cars, so a lot of stuff like perks, power, etc. I'm used to not having.

Looking at a rental (I know the thread title) 2017 Toyota Yaris with about 20K miles that falls in the high end of that range (when I figure in extended coverage) with the 1.5l engine, but I can't figure out a few things.

Description says it says it has a four-speed automatic, but I can't tell if this is a traditional automatic or a CVT in this. I suppose the 4-speed Auto should indicate that it's the former but when I keep digging on looking up info on many cars they'll indicate a lot of stuff that seems to say it's automatic, but further digging seems to reveal stuff like, "Well, it's actually a CVT."

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

No rentals.

A Yaris with 20k in 1.5 years has been thrashed (because it's a rental). It should not be $12k.

Look at 3 year old cars coming off of leases.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

What is an almost functional ac?

IME it's when there's a slow leak and the a/c blows cold half of the time. Cold cold cold weak weak weak and so on for a week or two until getting a can of refrigerant.

I'm more worried about ever so slightly misfiring. If that means the exhaust barks every so often I had that happen with my Grand Marquis and shortly after I lost an ignition coil. That's a common problem with Panther platform cars.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 27, 2018

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
AI meets BFC: Car Buying Thread: No rentals or salvage; get an inspection

Or "Get a PPI" and people will ask "what's a PPI" and learn.

I remember there was a success story where the goon went "I'm gonna buy it because I always wanted one" but then agreed to get a PPI and came back with "The PPI showed it's a piece of junk, I walked, time to keep looking"

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 1, 2018

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

zapplez posted:

Just because a Pacifica is a better looking minivan, compared to others, doesn't mean its a good looking vehicle. Its still a 3 out of 10. I dont care that the competition is a bunch of 1s or 2s.

Well Fiat is bringing cars to the US again, maybe they can bring over the Multipla!

Yes I know they have a redesign where it's not so bugeyed and it's not even a sliding door minivan, but boy howdy is this an ugly car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dustoph posted:

Seriously considering renting a minivan for a day just to pack it with all of our poo poo and see how it feels.

And minivans can get a trailer hitch for a small trailer or a rear shelf that I see all the time.

Minivans are the perfect "kids and dogs" vehicle, and will be far more comfortable and usable than a big passenger van.