Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
I am looking to buy a car!

Proposed Budget: 15,000 max, preferably.
New or Used: Either - prefer an OK new to a Great-but-worn used.
Body Style: I quite like Hatchbacks.
How will you be using the car?: Daily use, doesn't need to go on long treks often.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Don't care, manual is fine with me.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, handling, and aesthetics. It doesn't need to be super sporty, but less-boring cars are preferred.

Thanks!

edit: Just some additional info:
The cars I've had my eye on specifically are the Ford Fiesta, Honda Fit, Volkswagen Golf/Rabbit, and Mazda2/3. That's roughly in order of preference, but I don't really know enough about them specifically to choose a car from those, and I'm very open to suggestions of other cars I may have missed. It should probably be noted that this is for a first car.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

oRenj9 posted:

The only vehicle I would nix from your list is the VW. It is just inferior to the Mazda3 in every aspect. Personally, I would get the Mazda3, but the Fit is a solid choice too. The 3 is the fun-to-drive one of the two, while the Fit is the more economical option. I personally hate driving cars with so little horsepower.

The Mazda3 is probably going to be a bit on the expensive side for me - there just aren't many used nearby [that I've found], and most are sedans. I'll certainly keep an eye out for them, though.

There is a used 2009 Honda Fit Sport nearby with 53000 miles for $12,900. That particular model had a recall out in 2011 ['A FAILURE OF THE SPRING ASSEMBLIES MAY CAUSE THE VEHICLE TO STALL DURING OPERATION INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.'], but I'm not sure if this car has had the issue fixed. Kelley Blue Book puts that model around $12,750, and I figure I could've haggled at least that low to begin with.

The Fiesta is beefier, fancier and better looking though, and that would be for a new 2013 model. It'd be more on the expensive side at around $15,000, but I'm not sure if the difference between it and the Fit is worth 3000 or not. The warranties for purchasing new [and likely APR savings I could get] do appeal to me, though.

Will heed your recommendation with regard to the Golf, especially given the price point.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
I've narrowed my car search down to 2 choices, and I'd like advice for which to take, how much to offer, potential problems the model's faced or even if there are perhaps better cars within the price range. [Keeping in mind that my small town has a relatively limited pre-owned car selection.]

1. 2007 Volkswagen Passat Wolfsburg Edition - link
    • $12,950 list price
    • 71811 miles
  2. 2012 Mazda3 i Touring HB [SKYACTIV] - link
    • $16,900 list price [An initial offer from the dealer - ignore the website price]
    • 12466 miles

The Passat I believe has had a recall for the brake power assist - I'm not sure if this one has had the issue fixed, but it should be free to fix if not [or so I'm led to believe].
This is for a first car and I'm looking for something in-between affordable and fun to drive. $16K pre-taxes & fees is more or less the most I'm willing to spend.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 8, 2013

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Seraphimikey posted:

Proposed Budget: $18,000-$25,000
New or Used: New or certified used
Body Style: Sedan or Coupe.
How will you be using the car?: No towing, rarely have passengers, mainly used for just driving to work and back as I use the SUV on weekends due to kids. Commute 24 miles each way to work, mostly highway.
I want something comfortable and stylish.
What aspects are most important to you?: Style, decent to high MPG, semi-sporty but not a sports car. Must have leather. Just looking for anything that I may of skipped over in my search thus far as I haven't had any luck finding anything I like. I used to have a 2006 Civic but sold it before deployment. I loved how it drove and was realiable but it's looks never really impressed me.

I can tell you a BMW 3 series between '07 and '10 should fit into your price range. If you're willing to set aside a bit more than you're used to for preventive maintenance [and premium gas], then it could be a good fit for you.