Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deus Rex Machina
Aug 19, 2011

I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Proposed Budget: $8k-$15k
New or Used: Used preferred. Looking for best value.
Body Style: 4 door, generally anything except a van truck or suv
How will you be using the car?: Mostly short driving to and from work, the store, etc. Don't really consider my needs particularly exceptional or abnormal.

What aspects are most important to you? Value. Fuel economy + reliability. Also however much safety is reasonable.

I currently have a 5-speed 2001 Saturn SL2 (90k miles) with an EPA rating of 25/36mpg city/highway and a four star safety rating that I got at $5k and has given me something like 50k miles but it's starting to fall apart.

What I'd really like is a $10-12k car that'll give me >100k miles of minimal maintenance with good mpg and some modern perks such as side curtain airbags.

I've already put in about as much for repairs as my car is worth in the past year, but nothing out there is calling to me as a great deal. Should I just keep my car up until used hybrids become more affordable?

Deus Rex Machina fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Rex Machina
Aug 19, 2011

I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

leica posted:

You can easily afford a used Prius in that price range.

Can a mod please change the thread title to AI meets BFC: Get a Prius

Is a Prius really a good value? It seems like the initial cost is pretty significant vs. what they save you.

What age/mileage should I be looking for for a good value?