Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

I've managed to survive in Seattle for 6 years without a car, but my husband and I are finally in a comfortable enough financial position to buy something! This is the first time in my life that I'll own a car that's not 20 years old and $1500, and I could use some guidance so I don't just go and buy the first thing I see OR overthink it and give myself an ulcer.

Proposed Budget: $8000 cash
New or Used[/b]: Used
Body Style: Compact or midsize, 4 door.
How will you be using the car?: Occasional work commute (30-40 minute drive, highway, a few times a month), but other than that mostly city driving and occasional road trips.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Reliability, ease of maintenance, automatic transmission. Husband wants something Japanese, but that's negotiable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

DNK posted:

Also does $8000 cash mean that’s your desired total purchase amount or merely the potential downpayment on a financed vehicle?

for each ~12k financed at 2% for 60mo, it’s about $250/mo

So you could buy a 20k car and have $250/mo payments for 5 years. Something like that.

$8000 would be the desired total purchase, I really don't want to finance unless we have to.

Inner Light posted:

How do you feel about a:

P
R
I
U
S

Seriously though, if Prius does not appeal to you, please explain why :) . At 8k you're starting to get a little rough in terms of age unless you get the cheapest and smallest type of econoboxes, so you'll want something reliable.

I feel positively about the Prius! It looks like most of the ones I'm seeing in our price range are 2012 models and older, is there anything in particular I should be looking out for with that age?

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

I've managed to survive in Seattle for 6 years without a car, but my husband and I are finally in a comfortable enough financial position to buy something! This is the first time in my life that I'll own a car that's not 20 years old and $1500, and I could use some guidance so I don't just go and buy the first thing I see OR overthink it and give myself an ulcer.

Proposed Budget: $8000 cash
New or Used[/b]: Used
Body Style: Compact or midsize, 4 door.
How will you be using the car?: Occasional work commute (30-40 minute drive, highway, a few times a month), but other than that mostly city driving and occasional road trips.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Reliability, ease of maintenance, automatic transmission. Husband wants something Japanese, but that's negotiable.

Hello I'm back! I've been looking at what's available locally, and I keep coming back to this 2012 Prius, is there anything on there that stands out as a red flag?

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

The unpainted front bumper cover. That car has been in an accident, and someone tried to fix it as cheaply as possible.

It’s possible that somebody just cracked the bumper cover in a light, low-speed collision and it’s basically fine underneath. It’s also possible that the crash safety structures are compromised and it’s a twisted mess that will fold in half in another crash. Theoretically, a car in bad shape after an accident should be totaled, but especially on the less expensive end of the market it’s possible for accidents to avoid insurance companies.

In normal times, I’d just say “look elsewhere,” but at the very least don’t go near it without a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection that you’ve paid for, from a mechanic you trust. And, definitely don’t trust anything Quick Motor Inc tells you about the car.

I was worried about that too, but based on the car fax report, the only reported accident was in February 2014 (“Vehicle involved in a rear-end collision with another motor vehicle, Airbags did not deploy”) and then September of that same year, the Toyota dealership had it for sale as certified pre-owned. I guess it’s still possible that there was another accident that’s not on the report, but it also looks like the second owner was getting it maintained regularly which seems like a good sign?

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Alright, I think y’all talked me out of it.