Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Spite posted:

Proposed Budget: < 35k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: sedan
How will you be using the car?: 45min commute with 20-30min bumper-to-bumper. Also have a kid so there will be a carseat.

What aspects are most important to you?
Need navigation as the wife has no sense of direction. I think CarPlay will also work. Want a decent sound system.

Is there a hybrid that isn't totally crap to drive?

If I don't get a hybrid I'll almost definitely get a manual.
Otherwise I'm looking at the mazda 3 or civic si.

Or should I get the hybrid and talk my wife into a miata next year?

I have been driving my 2019 Honda Insight Touring for nearly a year now and it's been fantastic.

I originally wanted a Hybrid but couldn't stand the Prius. I tried some others, but automakers like to just put a hybrid battery into another car and pretend it's fine but then the mileage is poo poo and the engine is underpowered (like the Malibu Hybrid with like 20% of the trunk occupied permanently by the battery). Also usually the handling in Hybrids is... off, like in the Prius.

The Insight was the only hybrid I actually enjoyed driving so I ended up buying it. Mine has CarPlay which works perfect with my iPhone. All the computer bits work just fine. Supposedly Honda hybrid batteries are less reliable than their competitors, though, but I don't know anything about that yet.

If you have any questions for me I can answer them here or via PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The big thing with Hybrids is that the battery might cost a lot to replace/fix if it’s lovely or too old or whatever. In mine (I bought it new) it’d be like a $4k replacement, and it shockingly made sense for me to get the $800 extended warranty which applied for way, way longer than the expected longevity of the battery according to my internet research.

I also really like my hybrid otherwise, especially how silent it is when running directly off the battery.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’ve definitely been saved from more than a few fender bender/love taps because of my auto-brake. It always happened when I was looking around and the dude in front of me stopped or slowed down quicker than I expected.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There are exceptions, they’ll often keep “the best” cars around for CPO/Used sales but generally they go off to auction. If you know your car is hot poo poo you can get a pretty okeydokey deal on it.

Best to sell it privately though, and if the repair isn’t too onerous it’s worth doing because people balk at car sales at the stupidest things. One time my dad tried to sell a car and the guy walked because he didn’t have the decency to clean the mud off it (rain and construction nearby meant he got it dirty the day before).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was once handed a deal sheet with a $2500 surcharge for “Apple CarPlay”... on a model that already came with CarPlay.

Years earlier I asked which models got leather seats and they said they could swap the cloth seats in a lower trim for leather seats to save me money. To get a higher trim cost $2000 which included a bunch of different features, but to swap the cloth seats for leather seats it cost $4000. gently caress that, I just left lol

“And accessories” seems like an absolute minefield, tread carefully friend!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I know it’s not logical but when I have a bad experience with a specific make/model, I’ll bail on it completely. If you had a bad experience with a VW Golf, maybe consider some other similar type of car, maybe from a more reliable/low TCO brand?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you get multiple pulls in a week or so (I forget specifically), you’ll only get dinged once, I believe. And then it comes off in like 3 months.

No reason to take the first rate offered— get it all prepped ahead of time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There is no situation where you are better off financially for owning a car. Cars are 100% guaranteed to be worth less than what you bought them for one day.

That being said, I found out I could sell my car right now in excess of the remaining loan balance+interest paid so far, so that’s kinda neat. I think it’s because I re-fi’d on day one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I drive a 2019 Insight. I still love it, and I tried a lot of hybrids before buying. The biggest (only) issue was a software thing that got fixed with a software update.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

remigious posted:

My CU flat out refused to work with Carvana at all :(

Any reason, maybe a bad story? Seems odd. Like if my bank was like "any car dealer is fine EXCEPT FOR BOB NEWCAR'S NEW AND USED CARS" I would feel compelled to learn more about what happened. It can't be good.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think you generally expect to lose about 20% day one, if I recall?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Whatever the car, I simply must have a CarPlay head unit these days which will run like $250 to install so I guess it’s $5250 now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There's not much reason to pay cash if you qualify for one of those stupid-low rates, like ~1% on a new car but when you're weighing a 4-6% interest rate, the calculus changes. The "modest" return from the market carries with it significant risk, don't forget, and the ~8% expected annualized return or whatever is over the long term, usually far in excess of the term you expect to be holding a car note.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think they usually add on additional doc fees and the like to still make money on the financing portion just not through interest.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kia Fortes are good cars in that range in my experience. My brother bought a 2019 Kia Forte for like $12k and fuckin' loves it. It was like $2k under the normal price because it smelled kind of off, turns out there was 2 cigarettes in the filter and he pulled them out, had them run an ozone thing on it and it doesn't smell like anything anymore.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When I was younger my dad bought a really, really nice car and I loved that stupid thing so much. It's worth about 10k less than my current car and I was considering buying it, knowing that it is going to cost a fortune to maintain.

I hate basically all cars, though, and like having money so I'm not going to do it, but every 6mo or so I compare prices and imagine driving it around again (BMW 6 Series).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bought a new car for $30k 3 (4?) years ago, and it is now worth $26k. Don't know what to do with this information, but it's getting real tempting to just buy a bike/vespa

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Options are, I guess, automatically exercised when they become in the money? But only in relation to.. cars?

I have never been more confused.

I can understand financing a car at a low/zero rate and shoving that dollar amount into I-bonds or whatever, but options are next level BWM.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vespa is going to conquer the market one way or the other

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Some porsche dude on September 11th: "gently caress"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah, when you get a super cheap car you're also getting a discount because you will need something done to it. The current owner likely doesn't know about (or care) the problems that it comes with, but that's a big reason of why cars just naturally depreciate over time. Something will go wrong, it's just a matter of what/when.

At 23 years old, it's a statistical certainty that it'll need work.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You should also consider taxes and fees on top of the purchase price which is going to be, like, an additional $3000.

Anyways, negotiating car prices is very difficult, but generally speaking you're one of the volume buyers so an easy/quick sale is more important to them than the price, so if you emphasize the fact that you're willing to buy today or whatever (if you actually are) you can probably bring them down like $500 or something, max. Importantly, they are going to sell so many of those cars to so many people, you really don't have much wiggle room or negotiating stances other than a speedy transaction which they may or may not give a poo poo about.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 3, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you have the infrastructure available to you already at work/home, it can make sense. If you have to go to a charger it loving sucks. I rented a plug-in a while back and thought it was good except for the charger situation.

Pricing wise it’s a hard sell. It’s like you’re pre-paying for gasoline you won’t use. If it was the same price as a gas engine it would be a no-brainer (again provided you have a work/home charger).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KillHour posted:

I buy that an S is nicer than a 7, but a C is not nearly as nice as a well optioned 3.

In my experience, higher-level Mercedes drive a lot smoother than BMW, which some people equate to "better" or "more luxurious"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I imagine the batteries on a used Prius are gonna be generally poo poo though? Just basing that off of how phone batteries go to poo poo after a few years.

Nah. I mean, idk, maybe, but even if the battery was hosed it's like $1,000 and you'd probably know if the battery was hosed very quickly which still makes it more economical than most other options.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hybrids are still generally built for fuel efficiency so even if they're lugging around a battery and you're somehow on the highway and you never brake (I have to brake all the time on the highway), it's probably going to be more efficient than other cars in the same class/category/price.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So? A shitload of Hondas and Toyotas are built and sold in the US and people call them foreign cars. Consumers are very, very stupid.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I only buy domestic cars that are made right here in the US of A like the Chevy Equinox or the Ford Bronco. None of those foreign imports, like the Honda Accord

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Calidus posted:

Honda choice to make USA its primary market over Japan was bet that really paid off. There was a marketing push by Honda at one point that showed that their Marysville Ohio plant cars were more American than the cars offered by the big 3 out Detroit.

I think I've read things that say of the dollars spent on a car, buying a Honda or a Toyota means more of those dollars goes to American workers than at any American manufacturer.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ethanol posted:

the rav4 is probably fine it just looks dated, like its been on the same gen since like 2014, even though technically they upgraded it in 2018. that's kind of Toyotas thing though, they're good cars overall, you can't go wrong with one imo. (biased Toyota owner)

This is how I am with Honda. I know zero people who have ever regretted buying a Honda

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A garage is very expensive storage space, and keeping your poo poo in your garage and your car outside is very funny.

Just have less stuff.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I love the write-up except for the last bit. If he has an offer for $2459 why is he seeking $2500?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

bird with big dick posted:

And it's by no means restricted to EVs. According to Carvana the Accord I sold last year has lost nearly 60% of its value.

Honestly, the market seems heavily tilted in favor of gas hybrids than anything else. I think the lack of sufficient infrastructure makes EVs a really difficult value proposition, especially if it's more expensive than a gas-only vehicle.

That being said, everyone I've met wants EVs they just don't know how they would be able to charge it if their office/apartment doesn't offer chargers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Motronic posted:

That's the rub, now isn't it? I think the previously unmet demand for EVs has been met. Now the market will be the whatever 10-20% of people for whom an EV makes sense when they are replacing a car at this state in battery technology and infrastructure. Those are largely homeowners (so they can charge at home) who are also likely to have a second or third car that is not an EV.

I don't see this situation changing significantly unless and until the technology or infrastructure changes significantly. We're already seeing government mandates being backed off of the previously plainly and obviously unrealistic target dates.

Tesla fighting back on opening up their supercharger network is another huge stall because Tesla owners don't want other people to access their chargers and Tesla has a really excellent network that resolves a lot of the cross-country issues for drivers. It also doesn't require you to sit around for an hour or whatever while your car charges which is super helpful.

Still, the federal government is keen on giving out huge boons to people building out EV chargers, and a lot of state govts really want to not have to deal with gas prices dominating the news cycle. I think it's going to take a lot of taxpayer-provided derisking for auto manufacturers along with taxpayer-provided infrastructure development at roughly the same time-- which is right now! I expect a lot of EV pushes to be met with low demand and EVs to have low resale value because the goal is that everyone that can will be able to drive an EV.

I personally cannot, so I drive a gas hybrid but I don't know anyone who would be willing to drive a car with low mileage outside of the superwealthy (or the people pretending to be). Here in CA, I saw a dude fill up his Ford Raptor and it was $150 and he seemed loving pissed about it. Clearly not pissed enough to drive a less absurd car, but definitely pissed enough to write a letter to the governor or whomever.

jokes fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 7, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If I was buying a car, I absolutely would look into a plug-in (if you have access to a charger) or gas hybrids. Cities and states are trying to slowly electrify but they aren't there yet (making EVs not a great option for everyone). Gas is getting expensive, especially in cities, and there's no reason to think that will alleviate soon. There are federal incentives for buying EVs, but that's really more of a beta test incentive.

Not surprised that EVs are slashing prices as the market and grid matures, and also that gas-only non-hybrids are dropping in prices-- especially in this financing environment. A car that gets 50+ MPG and/or is electrified is a hugely valuable alternative.

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 7, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ethanol posted:

seems like using carvana is a bad way to value cars. they were lowballing even during covid

It's kind of the only "I could turn this car into this much money today" tool available, I don't think KBB is that authoritative any more-- maybe I'm wrong?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

my bony fealty posted:

If you mean plug-in hybrid - those can be charged in a normal wall outlet right? If you buy a PHEV does it come with the charger or does that have to be bought separately?

The idea of a car that can do short trips around town without gas but also have gas range is very appealing. I'm hesitant to go for a $40-50k car with interest rates what they are though :/

No idea, but I think the Level 1 Charger (the weakest) uses a 120V AC current which is what a lot of larger household appliances run off of, like a clothes dryer.

It's worth noting there are available tax credits for plug-ins

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Motronic posted:

No. 120v is a regular outlet. Not what your electric dryer runs off of.

This is a 120V electric dryer, a newer version of one I had. I was really surprised since I remember the big chonky outlets that needed special wiring setups and poo poo growing up.

Regardless, the 120V (level 1 chargers) are super slow. Like, you'll get maybe 5 miles for an hour of charge time. Which isn't a big deal if you just plug it in when you come home or are at work or whatever, which is why plug-ins are loving rad in the current environment. Charge overnight, electrified commute, gas for longer excursions or as a backup.

I think new Priuses have solar charger options on the roof which passively gives you like 5 miles on a sunny day, which is even more intriguing but the value proposition on that is probably a lot more specious and it probably has issues that aren't immediately apparent-- for example you're supposed to park it in direct sunlight which would heat up the car, so you'll need to use the AC to cool it down which probably taxes the supposed mileage gain from the roof.

Some places are phasing out solar tax credits for your home as well so the "dream" of having solar panels on your home which gives you the electricity needed to run your house and charge your car is likely less economically feasible than you'd think. Electricity is still categorically cheaper than gas wrt operating costs, though. Resell value in lots of areas (especially mine) really leans heavily in favor of PHEVs these days, it seems, so the economics are progressing away from gas-only, thankfully.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 8, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

dopesilly posted:

Need a car recommendation, or at least a few makes/years/models I should check out.

Proposed Budget: $20-$30K
New or Used: Interest rates are lower for new, used cars are pretty insanely expensive, so I'm not sure whether to go used or new.
Body Style: 4 door
How will you be using the car?: I live in the northeast so hopefully AWD or FWD, will probably rideshare/delivery inbetween jobs with it, mostly daily driver.
What aspects are most important to you?: MPG, reliability, comfort

I keep looking at used Rav4s and Rav4 hybrids, but the used prices for 2-3 year old models are almost identical to new 2023/2024 models. I previously owned Toyotas and Hondas and had very good experiences despite them being used cars, but I'm concerned about how expensive the used car market is these days. A used 2021-2023 Rav4 hybrid is going for like $30k near me, a new one is $32-35k...doesn't make much sense to me to go used?

What's wrong with a Prius/sedan? Just the AWD/FWD? If storage is a concern I get it, but I don't know how outdoorsy your car needs to be where you live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KillHour posted:

If I can drive up a volcano in a Challenger, you can get to a trail head in an Impreza.

Why does this look like it's from a video game or something