Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Proposed Budget: 20k-30k

New or Used:New

Body Style: 4 door crossover type vehicle or sedan with a lot of space in the back (Maybe back seats that go down).

How will you be using the car?: I have a short drive to work (under 3 miles) but every few weeks I take a 70 miles each way trip and maybe twice a year I travel more significant distances (200-300 miles each way) for work.

What aspects are most important to you? Right now I have a 2003 Buick Century and while it's comfortable I can't fit much in the thing. I'd like something that has a nice interior with a lot of headroom (I'm 6'4" and more upper torso than legs). I have wide shoulders. I am looking for something with some decent space for transport (Either a large trunk or hatchback) but not a full SUV because I don't want to have terrible gas mileage. I like tech though I'm not gonna pay a ton extra for ridiculous features I won't use. Having had terrible ones in the past I do like to have good speakers. I'm not horrible picky about appearance (I do dislike the boxier things like the Cube and the really weird stuff like the Veloster's 1+2 doors, which makes me sad because I otherwise really like the Veloster).

Last summer I looked at some leftover Hyundai Tourings and nearly bought one. I couldn't fit in the upgraded model with the sun roof (Head hit the ceiling) and that was the dealbreaker since I couldn't care less about a sunroof but it came with some of the other features I wanted. I'm also considering the Mazda 3 Hatchback and the Mazda CX5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, I have a lot of issues with headroom in some of the bigger cars, but I fit in the freakin' tiny Honda Fit just fine! I had been at the Honda dealer to see other things, but sat in one just to amuse myself and it was like I'd stepped into a magical timewarp that was somehow bigger on the inside than the outside. I would have actually considered one if the interior wasn't completely awful.

nm posted:

As a 6'4" guy who tries to fit in every car he sees, I can tell you there is basically no relationship to exterior size and being able to fit comfortably.
Mazda 2: Bingo (I own one)
Last gen mazda 3: Weird ergonomics kept me from buying
Smart: Yes
Hyundai Equus: A very surprising no.
Fiat 500: Yes
C5 RS6: No :(

I can't fit in miatas and lotuses though :(
In fact, the chevy uplander is the least comfortable vehicle I've ever driven that I could sit in without getting stuck (hello Tesla roaster, that was embarrassing).

On the Pontiac Vibe stuff, I've always heard good things about them. My parents own one and love the thing. I've driven it, it is ok (and I fit in it). I had no issues with it, but it didn't blow me away either. They haven't had any huge problems with it, other than the sunroof stopped working, or possibly never worked in the first place since it's not something they use. I think the CD player went in it too. It refused to spit out a disc stuck in it and my father wouldn't take it in despite being under warranty still because he had a CD-R in there and they were insisting "non-official" discs would void the warranty. He also wouldn't let me pry the disc out with a screwdriver for some crazy reason. I didn't think there was a step down from broken.

crowbb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 28, 2013

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde

widunder posted:

I'm currently looking into buying my first car, intended for once-and-again city and highway driving. I'm not a car person. I've limited my must-haves to the following:

- Decent fuel economy
- Crossover-sized (or maybe SUV)
- A comfortable drive (for someone who is 6'2 and has a bad back)
- Safe
- Decent BT connectivity
- Not too expensive (I'm looking at 2013-2014 models in Europe with sub 60k miles on them at at around €18-20k)
- Reliable

I've so far mainly been eyeing a Jeep Renegade (although I saw those scary braking videos), a Mazda CX-5 or maybe a Volvo XC60. I love the look of the Audi Q3 but it seems that the options on it are really lackluster as compared to the CX-5. Help a first time buyer out! Looking to keep it for a decade with light use.

I'm not really a car person either, but I am a similarly sized person who owns a 2014 Mazda CX-5 so I can address some of your requests. I am 6'4" and bought a new 2014 CX-5 almost 3 years ago. One of the main reasons I singled the Mazda out, is much of my height is in my torso and leg room isn't often a problem for me, but head room is. I fit in the CX-5 comfortably while many of the other cars I looked at caused my head to be squished against the ceiling. I wanted a smallish SUV not a giant monster and I spent around the top of my budget.

Fuel economy: The fuel economy has been great. I don't often take long trips, but the times I have I have done better than the estimated highway MPG. I don't really track it day to day but when I first got the thing, it was doing about what the sticker said. I don't drive a huge amount, but I put on about 10k miles per year.

Size: I can fit a lot in this thing. My parents own a Vibe and my sister owns a Hyundai Elantra Touring and it dwarfs both of them. It's not full on giant SUV size though. Warning, the back window does not open up so really long things can be an issue.

Comfortable drive: I have off back issues and I find it way easier to get in and out of my CX-5, though it's a bit misleading since my old car was a sedan that was much lower to the ground. The drive has always been smooth and comfortable.

Safety: No accidents yet thankfully but I have the Grand Touring with both tech packages and it came with some added safety features. This is my first car with backup camera and the side mirror warnings and I don't think I could live without either anymore. It has some front sensors for helping you brake when you are about to hit something and a few other features I have not noticed in use.

BT Connectivity: It has it. I have never used it, sorry.

Price: I'm in the US but I paid about $32000 after tax for mine new so it might be in your ballpark used.

Reliability: I haven't had any major issues yet other than the stupid windshield keeps breaking. I have replaced the thing twice now due to giant cracks from small hits (Not including Safelite errors, see below). On my previous car when I drove in a high speed truck heavy area daily I took much harder hits and suffered way less severe cracks (Fixable with a windshield repair kit most of the time). Replacing that thing is EXPENSIVE too. I had to use my insurance because the windshield was about $1000 to replace and they'd cover it if I used Safelite for my $500 deductible. It is some kind of special windshield because of the extra front sensors and I suspect it is thinner and more fragile as a result. Fun fact, the first time I had it replaced they used the wrong windshield and it stress cracked within a day. They had to replace that one for free. No mechanical issues at all so far. The GPS software became corrupted once and caused hilarious errors but the card is removeable so I was able to redownload the software on my home PC and fix it without a dealer trip.