Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Proposed Budget: Complicated. I own a 2014 Ford Fiesta base model powershift automatic sedan. Bought it new on Ford Credit 72 month loan, have only made a year and a half's worth of payments. I'd like to stop burning money by trading in this car for something much more fitting to my meager means. :downs:
New or Used: USED
Body Style: Just for me, probably whatever leans toward fuel efficiency, though I'm desperate enough to possibly consider a pickup truck at this point.
How will you be using the car? Short <5 mile commute a few days a week with a desired single 45-mile round trip down to friends every weekend or so.
What aspects are most important to you? As much of a combination of reliability and cost of ownership as possible, with MPG a distant third. Primary thing I'm looking for is to lower my insurance premium and not have to make monthly car payments.

FYI, I live the U.S. Rust Belt, my experience comes complete with climate change January subzero weeks, apocalyptic hail in spring, and bump-filled gravel bulletstorm perpetual construction summers. I can't guarantee being able to park inside of a garage every day.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

nm posted:

How underwater are you?
What would you like to know specifically? You phrased the question with a figure of speech and I don't know if you're asking about income or debt or driving record

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
About the worth, should I ask the dealer I got it from for an assessment, or go to Carmax, or go by Blue Book value? I'm afraid I'll get laughed at at both places :ohdear:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Punched in numbers on Blue Book website and trade-in value is average $8,597 on Trade In to Dealer, $10,648 for Sale to Private Party if that matters at all.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Proposed Budget: The big boy job I got last year is starting to give me the (over)confidence I need to look at sporty and/or legitimately hot cars and destroying their warranties with a tune as soon as I'm tempted. 80k salary with no rent to pay for the next 2 years but Timetable for when I can actually afford the car is fluctuating because I am also spending used car prices on my gun hobby insanity and gacha games that I never should have let myself into

New or Used: Absolutely new. I will not settle for less than a '22 BRZ, or a FoRS, or whatever the heck Toyota is going to try and spit out as a GR Corolla next year. Miata RF with the top never down is also a consideration. gently caress the sun

Alternative northern Continental US weather/SHTF hellscape option: Outback Wilderness trim or other safari'd dumb thing that isn't a Porsche. (I'm not very good at planning trips to be during good weather) I don't have feelings one way or another about electrics. gently caress Elon and the earth TBH

How will you be using the car?: I want an autocrossing/tracking (maybe dirt tracking if the safari option) daily driver do-it-all as my only car and and definitely not what I have right now.

What aspects are most important to you? For insurance purposes, I'm a 33 and a guy and my skill at driving is probably middling at best. I can't drive stick because I never hung out with the cool kids. I've changed spare tires before, but I've never bothered to spend the effort to change my own oil on my non-hot '14 Fiesta, so I'd rather not have to have myself wrench on this new car. I'm most likely going to need one of those newfangled auto-stopping sensor system thingies to compensate for my inattentive jackassery. But enough self-deprecation, I want a light AF car that I can toss hard

So as you can tell, this isn't really a practical decision for me even though I might want to be more serious about it. But hey, ask me about how I chose the Chrysler TC by Maserati as my first car, that I had to get towed and repaired just to get off the lot. I need to live out the boy racer fantasy that I was previously too young/depressed/poor/busy to have, please indulge my perpetual mid-life crisis with a decision on one of the cars above or any similarly-classed cars

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 27, 2021

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thanks for the thorough roasting. My apologies if I sound very obtuse regarding my life situation, I probably don't have a very healthy perspective of myself.

@ KillHour: I'm aware of the FoRS no longer being brought over here, it popped into my head as I was typing the GR Corolla bit since they're both likely going to be awd turbo hatches. Also it wouldn't be a Punisher wrap, it would be an ahegao wrap

@ Loan Dusty Road & got off on a technicality: Corvettes sound nice (I did specify new though), but I don't know if they're worth daily driving and also dealing with a crumbling infrastructure worsened by wildly varying weather. Pretend I've never really looked at one of them before--how high off the ground are they compared to Miatas? I know this might be a little hypocrite-ish when I also lust after the BRZ

@ Bouillon Rube: And speaking of that ground clearance, that's where the misused "safari" term comes into play. I drive on gravel once or twice a month which I guess isn't a big deal for any kind of car, but yeah I think some of the inspiration for me is coming from the Singer ACS Porsche 911. I have the Homer Simpson Designs a Car problem where I'd like a fun coupe and/or rally car thing, but I don't know how to avoid embarassingly scraping steep driveways, so now this twisted concept of ideal car in my head is a lifted coupe.

@ GOD IS BED & heffray: I'm also kind of afraid of driving stick as my only car. This is probably going to be a lame trauma story and Too Much Information, but the one time I'd ever tried driving stick was when I was a kid and snuck into a free Cobalt SS test driving event. I couldn't figure out how to get the right combination of engine + letting go of the clutch pedal softly(or was it quickly?) enough to not stall the car, so the instructor put the car in 1st and let me putter around the course in shame. ANYWAYS I appreciate the GTI suggestion with the DSG, it's closer to the type of car that I thought I was trying to convey with my description.

@ Nick Jr. Face: yes, this is why i am asking for help deciding on a type of car to buy on the coolest internet forum in the world...

@ Ornery and Hornery: I know, it's probably what I deserve :negative:

Again, my apologies--I didn't really know how to approach this problem with my limited life experience and knowledge of car, uh, culture. It's hard for me to sound fun without also sounding narcissistic and I appreciate serious attempts at narrowing things down for me without pigeon-holing me into stereotypes that I may or may not belong to.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 27, 2021

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Internet Explorer posted:

I think it's more that you came across as having a lot of really strong opinions, inconsistent wants, some possibly incorrect assumptions, and "first big boy job at 80k with no rent for 2 years" raises some red flags from a BFC perspective.
Forgive me for not knowing what BFC's perspective is, but what are the red flags, in detail?

And yeah, I can understand now why it's not a good idea to ask for suggestions by throwing malformed ideas out there and hoping something sticks. I was afraid that I'd be given suggestions that would be more compromise than I'd care for, which FWIW I should mention that I'm willing to discuss why or why not certain ideas that I've put in so far are worth pursuing.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Should I go wrap an auto mustang around a tree instead so that you'll all feel less bad about how a low quality human destroyed a car you like less

really depressed now about myself, this is the other side of me speaking

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yes, I'm confirming that everything you've surmised about me so far has been correct

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'd post on the budgeting thread but remembering advice is hard when my dick or my need to overconform to a nonsensical perceived social norm are driving

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I will say that in recent history I've learned from experience about the time and effort involvement for competition shooting - of maintaining my own guns & gear and making sure I follow all the safety precautions and regulations and laws regarding that hobby. So I'm probably a little less unbalanced than I was maybe 3 years ago??

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

bird with big dick posted:

Get a Shelby GT500.

stop

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What are the signs that the market is good to buy in, anyways? Do those times even exist for luxury/sports cars?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

zedprime posted:

A lot of the top end just aren't on the lot unless you're in a worldwide top 20 by wealth city. You gotta buy out the catalogue. It's gonna cost what it's gonna cost.

Chicago's #5 on that list but you're definitely making a good case to look at models that are far more commoditized instead of a super special butterfly model-trim

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
All right, let's try this again with less spastic word salad

Proposed Budget: I've put together a budget for myself, with plenty of disposable income leeway, to attempt to finance a $50,000 vehicle over 5 years. If things go sideways and my credit doesn't look as great as I think it will at the dealer, we'll probably want to knock that down to $40,000 (or I just suck it up and go for a 3-year loan).

New or Used: I think a new model that's more in-stock in and around my IL suburban area would be something I could go for. Within my means, I could probably go for a good example of a lightly-used luxury and/or sports brand.

Body Style: I'll only need to carry one other person in the car, and he's not a very tall guy. However, we will occasionally be transporting firearms in the vehicle to and from competitions and classes around twice a month, so nothing that stands out too much would be a plus. This commute is anywhere between 60-90 minutes depending on location, and it will be done rain or shine. Ideally, I'd also like to put down the requirement for something that's 3,500 pounds or less, because I'd prefer a smaller vehicle for ease of parking in various other situations where wide lots aren't a given. After realizing that late-models Outbacks are actually 4,000-pound mid-size SUVs and not the station wagon I remember from my high school days, the late-model Civic Hatchback is starting to seem more my speed since it's around 3k pounds and has a longer 5th door, but again I'm very naive about those things. I'm open to options that are either 2/3-door or 4/5-door, as long as the size and weight are still economical.

How will you be using the car?: Mentioned up above, but tl;dr it's a car to get me & a friend around places for our other hobby, my own enthusiasm for going 6/10s on the highway will have to come as a secondary objective instead :(

What aspects are most important to you? I spend enough time wrenching on my competition gear, I'd prefer low-maintenance/reliability. I won't be too scared of bills as long as I can get service with reputable shops, same thing regarding fuel prices so I'm open to turbochargers or other high-compression engines or what have you (though I understand pushing engines harder typically comes with the territory of high maintenance). A nice-to-have would be something that could get going on the highway well enough to get into faster traffic, something like 220+ horses given the weight I asked for above.

I prefer *not* to live in my car like some of my terrible friends, so I keep relatively little stuff in it and I don' t get it messy when I'm not transporting hobby things. I won't have too much of a preference for interiors and electronics, as long as their aren't too distracting from my drive (or better yet, can help me with my drive like with automatic braking sensors, etc.)

So yeah -- I like peppy non-SUV cars, but would like a convenient hobby shuttle that won't get more attention than maybe say, an earlier-model Miata (?) I hope this was more helpful

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thanks. I was hoping someone would recommend an Audi or 1- or 2-series too. The TT almost fit the bill but I don't live in a video game :negative:

wow, that is a lot of used Golf Rs near me, what the

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 4, 2021

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
On that advice, what's the consensus on non-STI WRXs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

zedprime posted:

I think Illinois is a stored out of cabin state so if you are in a hatch, crossover, or SUV you need to spring for the partition anyway if it's not standard. At least I remember the Kentucky rednecks on the border being really sour they were supposed to take their truck cabin gunracks down if they were going to Illinois.

https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/hunting/Documents/TransportYourFirearmLegally.pdf

Looks like that's not a problem if your firearm is stored in a case and not immediately accessible. Apparently terrible gun racks are fine, but they are indeed stupid.

Anyways, yes there are considerations to make for keeping firearms out of sight from prying eyes and hands. I should be able to work with most car models in setting up their storage spaces for transport (and not just sloppily throw in naked long guns sticking out into the cabin)