Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Proposed Budget: ~$30,000
New or Used: New
Body Style: Truck
How will you be using the car: Taking garbage to the dump, picking up wood and garden poo poo from Lowe's, etc.
What aspects are most important to you: Reliability, MPG

My mother's looking to buy a small truck for general truck stuff. Taking junk down to the dump, getting stuff from Lowe's, that kind of stuff. No towing or major hauling. No serious offroading, though she would like 4WD for driving on the beach. She insists on buying new. She's looking at stuff along the lines of the Ranger, Canyon, Colorado, Tacoma, Ram, etc.

She's super picky about vehicles and she wants to test drive pretty much every light/midsize truck out there, so I'm more interested in what I should be steering her away from than recommendations as to what to get. Is there anything in that range that should be avoided?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

On the subject of tradeins, I've got a 2017 RAV4 and apparently everybody really wants me to trade it in. This is a vehicle I inherited, and it's fully paid off and in great shape with about ~70k miles on it.

Thing is, I really don't need an SUV at all. It's extremely rare that I have more than one other passenger in the vehicle, and I don't haul enough stuff around to need the cargo capacity. I just drive it because my previous vehicle was a lovely beater and I wasn't about to turn it down. I'd be perfectly happy driving something smaller with better gas mileage. I don't really care how fun something is to drive, as long as it's reliable and gets good gas mileage.

I've been tempted to trade it in and go for a used Prius or something similar. Is this a crazy idea? I've inherited all my previous vehicles as hand-me-downs from other family members, so I've never actually dealt with buying a car from a dealer. The dealer my dad bought it from has offered more than the sticker price of some of their used vehicles of similar mileage, so is it possible to trade it in to them and drive out of there with a car and a check? I'm totally clueless here.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's less about the extra money and more about having something smaller with better gas mileage, I wouldn't expect to actually make any significant money on it.

Keeping it is ultimately what I was leaning towards, but it seems like everybody I know IRL is going "you'd be crazy not to trade it in right now!" and I was wondering if I was missing something.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

silence_kit posted:

How much do you drive? How much money would you save on gas by buying a used Prius?

I agree with got off on a technicality--owning a car with a known service history is a very good thing. Your current car will serve you very well for a long time.

Who wants you to trade in the car?

I drive a decent amount. I live out in the sticks, so it’s 20+ miles to anything bigger than a gas station.

And it’s not really ‘wants me to trade it’ so much as various family members and such doing the ‘I can’t believe you’re leaving money on the table’ kind of stuff. I was leaning towards keeping it because after years of driving lovely beaters I didn’t feel a need to trade in something reliable and in good condition, but I also wondered if that experience was leading me wrong.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Good to know, going to keep it. Thanks for the advice.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There's a reason why they didn't name the car forum "Automotive Sanity".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My dad bought a small hunting property out in rural bumfuck Texas and the cops there used to pull him over for stupid bullshit all the loving time, with one of them flat out saying that he was getting pulled over for poo poo because he was from out of town. They apologized and stopped doing it after he showed one of them a property tax statement showing that he owned land out there. This was within the last 5 years or so.