Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Helping my brother decide if he wants to buy:

2011 Ford Edge with 265,000 KM: price aside, specifics of the quality of maintainence from the current owner aside, would you trust that make/model/year to stay on the road much longer? He basically wants something that won't spontaneously combust and leave him without a vehicle, or with a sudden major repair that will cost him more than the car is worth. Low risk or high risk?

e. Another way to ask the question: if all other things are equal and we're in a frictionless vaccuum is a 2011 Edge a lower or higher risk buy than other high mileage / lower price used cars?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Deteriorata posted:

With older cars, you get survivor bias. All companies make some lemons, but they don't last long and are off to junk yards in a few years. At 10 years, most of the ones that were just made badly are gone. Manufacturers that inherently build better cars will have a larger fraction of their cars still on the road.

So to a large extent, 10 year old cars are almost interchangeable with respect to future reliability. What makes the difference are owner maintenance and exposure to road salt.

If the car is in good shape and has been well maintained, it's probably going to be good for a while yet. However, at that age everything is a crap shoot. There's always the possibility of something major blowing up and it will never be as reliable as a new car under warranty.

Thanks - that's the type of info I was looking for. I'll pass that on to him. Namaste.