Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Lauer
Nov 30, 2017

by Smythe

nm posted:

One other downside to AWD.
Most, but not all, AWD systems require you to replace all 4 tires at once. This means one non-patchable flat is going to cost you $800 rather than $200.

I've heard this is mostly a myth. I think lots of AWD systems in Subaru, Audi, etc. are meant to handle the variation on one new tire vs. 3 worn tires. Yes the manual will recommend you change all 4 or at least by axle, but I think saying it's required is inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Lauer
Nov 30, 2017

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, no myth to it. I think some of the modern fully electronic systems can accommodate it, but anything that depends on any sort of mechanical system is absolutely going to be unhappy. Mechanical and hydraulic AWD systems rely on the difference in rotation between the front and rear outputs to lock up and redistribute power. Different tire sizes will cause this to happen when it shouldn't.

I trust you because you know a ton, but can I politely ask for a source to say it's 'required' to replace all 4 tires in the event of a flat with AWD? I know it's commonly thought, but I don't think the tolerances are that tight. I think you'd see a lot more differential replacements / 100k mi drivetrain warranty claims if that were true.

The most I have found are sources from tire companies that say to buy all 4 tires if you have AWD, nothing from an OEM beyond 'recommendations'.

Matt Lauer fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 2, 2018

Matt Lauer
Nov 30, 2017

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

For a lot of the part time AWDs you need to switch off traction control to dig yourself out of slippery situations otherwise the traction control just cuts your throttle. That's why there's a big traction control switch in the middle of the dash and the manual tells you multiple times that if you are stuck turn off traction control.

Yep I suspect this is the case with the guy who encountered the new CR-V or whatever that had difficulty in a snowy parking lot. AWD can get itself out of a ton of snow unless it's grounding itself out in 6+ inches. I've gotten stuck in FWD plenty of times (through my own stupidity / hooning) but have yet to with AWD.

Matt Lauer
Nov 30, 2017

by Smythe
Certainly looks terrible in that test I'll agree.

That being said I don't know how often zero or near-zero friction happens in the real world. Like I said I've easily gotten stuck in FWD with a small amount of snow and ice, granted in all seasons. I think the worst was in a newer Civic.

Honda's response is interesting, from Honda Sweden's head of communications: http://teknikensvarld.se/honda-cr-v-4wd-system-is-not-working-again-163708/ it's not an ideal powerful AWD system but their response is reasonable.

lol

Matt Lauer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 2, 2018

Matt Lauer
Nov 30, 2017

by Smythe

Guinness posted:

:lol: Yep this looks like exactly what was happening with the stuck CRV I was helping push.

There may have been some clueless-driver-at-fault, but this is still just so pathetic. AWD my rear end.

I mean if the TC was on and nobody has the brilliant idea to turn it off (this happens extremely often with non-car people drivers, which is almost everyone) it is very very easy to stay stuck in snow. My bet is TC was on.

My dad got stuck in very thin snow (FWD Acura TL) and never thought to push the TC button. Once it was off it was unstuck after some effort. Yes the AWD system seems horrid for zero traction as in the video, but I would not blame it at this point for the anecdote you describe. Guess I'll die on that hill!

Successful AWDing CR-V on snow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P488eAJ6eGA&t=183s

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

My cousin once ruined his new Toyota pickup by driving through a riverbed because he saw it in a commercial. He is the reason they have that little print at the bottom of the screen.

lol I wonder what the damage was, or if he just flooded it.

Matt Lauer fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 3, 2018