Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Butt Bidness posted:

Good to know. I was looking for something maybe a touch sportier with 4WD for occasional hiking trips in the mountains of the Pac NW. Should I just go regular impreza?

Edit: budget flexible around 13k

Skip AWD/4WD and you'll save yourself money, because you sure don't need it to drive to a PNW trailhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

EugeneJ posted:

I'm tempted by a 2003 Crown Vic that a dealer has listed for $5500 with 75,000 miles.

But I'm concerned about the RWD since I live in a snow-filled wonderland. I know the Vic has ABS, but would that be enough to keep me from freaking me out on an icy road? I've only drove FWD vehicles before.

Not a big deal, you'll learn how it handles and figure out when you can't get on the gas. Get snow tires, though.

Getting stuck is a bigger problem than handling.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

If you're coming in off the internet having done your research, then you're not only trying to get a car at a price way below where they expect to sell it, but F&I likely can't make any money off you. If you're trying to beat KBB price, then yeah, you should expect some frustration. The salesman doesn't have any incentive to move a car just because it's been sitting on the lot, he's going to get roasted way worse by management for not getting enough out of the deal than to not make that sale.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

ICHIBAHN posted:

I've had a look at my budget and updated my answers here. Cheers.
Proposed Budget: £2, 000
New or Used: Doesn't matter, as long as it didn't look beat up and ran properly.
Body Style: 2 door I guess.
How will you be using the car?: Short frequent journies to work (2 miles) to city centre from home (6 miles I guess).
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost (original and ongoing), maintenance, environmental impact (I want my vehicle to be as eco-friendly as possible).

Seriously, just ride a bike. You have hardly any distance to cover, your budget is low, and your important aspects are completely counter to what you will get with that budget.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mr Executive posted:

I mean, you could just say you don't know anything about the car, or not post. Or you could be an indignant dick about it.

:allears: Somebody's excitable!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

How much negotiating room do you have on extremely popular cars, particularly if you're taking dealer financing incentives? We're down to 2020 RAV4 and CX-5 (like everyone else) and I wouldn't be surprised that financing + cash back incentives they are throwing in a major city dealership is going to be enough for the floor to just give buyers the take-it-or-leave-it MSRP because the stock will move, but I want to do my due diligence before I just bumble in and go "OKAY HERE'S MY SIGNATURE"

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Hyundai resale bottoms out so fast you're not going to have to worry about that for an Equus, it'll be selling for like $12k+ below the comparable LS. I don't doubt cost of ownership is going to be higher, but I also don't think you'll make up that difference.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

JHomer722 posted:

I might be answering my own question here, but the Civic would probably be more fun day to day but I like the Crosstrek for what I might decide to do. I’m new to CA and psyched to explore hiking and camping areas, but it’s not like I am an exceptionally avid outdoorsman.

I own an AWD vehicle but I really want to reiterate, there is little that demands AWD even if you are an exceptionally avid outdoorsman, and that includes the winter high mountain passes in California (where you should carry chains in case anyway). Don't get sucked in by AWD, it should be a bonus on the vehicle you already want.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 7, 2020

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Estate tax of 200% for Applebee's Appetizer as punishment for being a humorless goober

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

ethanol posted:

I kind of want to look into penfed but I already let the stupid navy credit union pull my credit because im dumb as hell and didn’t know the button was gonna do the hard pull.

my local union is like 3.5-4% with excellent credit so I dunno whether to even bother having them do an inquiry if it’s that high for excellent. They do have pretty good customer service. Just trying to avoid having too many inquiries. But maybe just do both anyways.

1.9% from dealer financing is extremely common right now, you should be able to get 2.5% or better from a credit union.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I don't like the Crosstrek at all, so much else in the segment has more cargo space and drives better.

I'm always hesitant to recommend in this thread because I don't want to get into Kia reliability wars, but I bought my Seltos specifically to have something to bring into the mountains with gear and racking bikes, skis, or a kayak, and I love it so far and it's cheap (under 23K OTD for S AWD). It is not an especially high-powered vehicle and has a CVT but it's excellent value. We drove CUVs from Subaru, Toyota, Honda, and Mazda and the CX-5 ended up being the only competition because it's a noticably better drivers with better interior finish - definitely not true for the Crosstrek, RAV4, or CR-V.

I also never considered factory crossbars, we tossed Thule Wingbars on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Unsinkabear posted:

I knew it wasn't necessary for Florida, I just have a flexible job and mad dreams of being able to drive up to Beech Mountain and go skiing the next time the conditions and my partner's time off line up. Let me have this, universe! :cry:

Yeah, even then, you'd be fine in any car. I always drove up to VT/NH ski areas with whatever economy rental Enterprise would give me, usually something like a Sentra. My buddy drives an Elantra and doesn't have snow tires. The east coast doesn't really tend to have gnarly passes that would actually require notable traction (and at least in the Northeast, the gnarly passes are closed in winter)