Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Shopping for a replacement for a 1995 Jeep Cherokee, thinking minivan, used, but I don't mind putting 20k into it if it is a ton of car for the money. I generally buy cars that are stripped down, wife usually gets talked into the options package. So we could go either way there and be at least half-happy.

we are usually 4 or 5, but third row and possible seating for 7 is the direction we are looking.

I don't want to feed it a lot of gas. I don't need multimedia/gps/whatever else. Just move my family plus a friend or two back and forth to places you take family. Don't anticipate towing, but if it didn't add a lot to the cost I could feel ok about the option.

Anybody have any thoughts on the Mazda 5? I know they had a fairly recent redesign, and I can wait a year, or maybe even 2 if there is something awesome now that will be cheap and still awesome by the time the jeep finally needs a 1500$ repair, rather than 500$ every 6 months.

What else should I be looking at?

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Appreciated the earlier tips about buying a family-hauling appliance. Will be stopping by a mazda shop to see how we fit in the 5, and trying the dodge suggested as well. Any other "I just need a third row, don't want to pay for a driving experience" sorts of rides I should be considering, probably used, and ideally under 20k.

The jeep cost me another 50$ today. As I understand it, the e-break caught on something and exploded, which messed up the ABS sensors, and caused many unpleasant grindy draggy noises. To fix would be 800-1300$ and involve a scrapyard axle, since they don't make the parts anymore.

For 50$ they tore the emergency break off, and put some black tape over the ABS warning light (not really). Said "Don't park on hills".

So, car is officially a jalopy now I think. But it still runs pretty good, and the interior is still actually kinda nice, considering how many toddlers and how much lumber has been in it. Is there a time of year to be shopping for cars? I figure I'm still in no real hurry, and this thing will probably get groceries and not kill me for another 6 months or a year.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

So, finally got around to test-driving the Mazda 5 I was interested in. I like it very well. Excellent visibility, good driving feel, considerably roomy front and middle, and I don't expect to be hauling people long distance in the wee seats in the back.

HOWEVER, I don't like the seats. Don't like the way the cloth feels, and I'm not sure I like the position/shape/padding either. Is this something I can address with aftermarket seat covers? or is "don't like the seats" a buy/no-buy decision?

I don't see this addressed in any of the reviews I've read. Am I the only person who finds them uncomfortable? or is it just not something reviews talk about? For reference, I've never thought "I don't really like the seats" about my old saab, prius, or jeep. So I don't think I'm picky.

I've not tried the leather trim GT version, but I don't really want to pay for the rest of the not-very-interesting gizmos on the top trim level.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

nm posted:

It's about acceleration, not speed. Also, you can have fun in a car off the track, say on a curvy mountain road.

James May contends, and I agree, you have a lot of fun driving a car at the edge of it's performance, when the wheels are losing grip, when the engine has no more oomph to give.

If you have a nice car, you only experience this on the track. However, with a minivan and skinny tires, you can terrify yourself real good on a roundabout.

I loved driving my 78 Microbus, because anything past 45 miles made a huge edge of performance racket, it was tippy, it was sloppy, and everything was happening 18" from your face. Admittedly, the 0-45 in 12 seconds wasn't as much exhilaration, but still it was a fun drat car to actually be driving in, rather than an appliance experience.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

nm posted:

Manuals aren't really that bad in traffic in practice.

Not bad if you are just driving. If you are driving, and eating a mcmuffin, and 48 oz soda, they show some drawbacks.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Proposed Budget: 10-20k cash, 30ish if there is something so awesome I'd be willing to finance part of it.
New or Used: New or Used
Body Style: 4 door
How will you be using the car?: This is where I need some advice. To-and-from work driving and grocery-getting but under 200 miles a week, with a couple 2000+ mile cross-country trips per year.
So, right now we have a 2004 Prius and a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee that we use for sport and utility never. The Jeep has a lot of problems, and is noisy, expensive to feed, and getting on toward time to replace. We have a family of 4 (sometimes 5) with kids in school. When I asked some while back I thought I would need a 3-row so as to be able to haul children+friends to things. However, been keeping track, and the number of times I've needed more than 5 seats (and thus two cars) is very small. So, rather than replace the jeep with a minivan-ish-thing, I'm thinking maybe another small car and just taking two cars on the rare more-than-5-seats occasion.
What aspects are most important to you?
Reliability, comfort, cost of ownership, ability to keep 2 phones and 2 tablets charging. I wouldn't mind if it were fun to drive, or was cool, or good looking, but that isn't the overwhelming concern.

Basically we really like our 2nd generation trim-package zero prius. Had a rental prius the other week, and didn't care for what they had done with the center console, nowhere near enough charging ports, and didn't find any use/usability for the bluetooth integration. Is that because it was a low-trim rental, or are they just not very good for that?

So, what am I looking at for a family-mover driving appliance that will be an improvement over my 2nd generation prius? Ford Focus, whatever the hyundai and kia small 4-doors are? Another prius?

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 16, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

Your numbers make no sense. You just said that you can get a Leaf for $25k, How is the Leaf 2x the cost of the Mazda? The Mazda3 isn't a $12.5k car? Later on you post that your "breakeven" is 15 years with fuel savings at $1000 per year, so the price difference between the 2 is $15k? What?

are there really no tax credits for electro-cars in California? Seems like the "fuel" cost is high as well, though maybe California.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

You're going to fit 3 adults and 2 carseats into a Prius? They're pretty roomy but I don't know that they are *that* big.

We did half a dozen cross-country drives with 2 adults, 2 booster seats, and a (skinny) teenager in a prius no fuss no muss. If the carseat-kids don't mess with eachother too much, you can strap one of the carseats to the middle seat, and leave one of the back seats with enough room for 85% of an adult for 7 hours.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

nm posted:

I don't know much about the spark, but as for the versa: If there is a hell, you'll get a choice better a mirage or a versa if you get a new car.

This is so. I rented a Mirage for 3 long days in San Diego. What a miserable rattlebox. For all the talk of how much better cars are in the 2010's, there are still some abysmal exceptions at the low end.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

I found the Fusion to have some real obnoxious blind spots, and weirdly big for the amount of interior usable space it had. I know a lot of modern cars murder rear and side visibility for crash safety ratings, but for me I found the Ford to be harder to see out of than the Prius or the Mazda 3.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Looks like my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee has issues with front suspension, sway bars, bushings, tie rod ends, shocks, pinion seals on rear axle, and the ABS is torn out from previous trauma, and a fair amount of body rust, and the AC and the power locks are both out as well. They want most of 4000$ to fix a portion of that list..which was actually longer, it's just I ran out of room on my sticky note writing it all down. But it starts reliably, so that is something.

Right now we have a 2007 prius as a daily driver, and the jeep is used pretty much only for in-town errands when the prius is out, and for carrying bicycles to the trailhead a couple miles away. Probably less than 3000 miles a year at the moment. Shop guy says I can buy a better car for what it would cost to fix. How much better a car can I buy for this use-case for that 4000$? How much past 4000$ would it take to get something I'd be happy with?

Last time I was looking at something to replace the jeep, I was looking at new Mazda 3's, and decided that for the number of miles I put on it, I was better off limping along with what I had, and waiting for something expensive to go wrong. Starting to look like that has happened.

So, AI/BFC, do I want to buy a 20-25,000$ new car, and relegate the Prius to second car status, or do I want to replace the second car with a less busted second car? What is the best way to extract value from the jeep that starts reliably but has 4000$ worth of problems?

I would kind of like something with a tow hitch so I can mount a tow-hitch 4-bike tray style rack (might even be able to put that on the prius, dunno), but other than that, I am open to suggestions for a low-use second car with the most utility for a 4 person family that occasionally hauls 4 bikes.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Back for more,

Looking to replace the jeep that has been a 3000 mile a year second car for about 6 years now. Thinking that I am looking for something with 6-7 seats for friend-hauling occasions. Willing to spend 10k or thereabouts.

From the looks of things, I can get a 10 year old minivan, or a slightly newer SUV. What should I be looking for in this case? The Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna are both well regarded, and surprisingly expensive for old-rear end cars, but 100k on the odometer might not be a big deal, when I'm only looking to put another 40k on it in the next decade. Minivans that are not a honda or toyota are cheaper, but since I'm looking to keep this damned thing till the kids are out of college, a thousand or two in either direction isn't too much of a big deal if it is the right thing for the next ten years. Looks like I can't come anywhere close to the 2011 model year refresh on these for that kind of money...does that actually matter?

Buying in Southern Illinois, so weather isn't too punishing, and the roads aren't _that_ salty.

Anything else I should be considering?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Well, looks like I am pretty sure I want a 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L.

After a considerable amount of test driving, it is about the nicest minivan we can get in my price range. One I was looking at was listed at 24,300$ with 45,000 miles on the odometer. Price was a bit of a stretch, but doable. And it had a tow hitch, which is useful to me, and a DVD that is not really.
HOWEVER, while discussing the merits of car the first, the floor manager came in and said "Hey, I've got another car coming in, it'll be ready monday, you want to come take a look at it" Also 2011 EX-L, closer to 80,000 miles, and closer to 20,000$. No hitch. No DVD.
So, why would the manager come in and try to sell a thing he doesn't have yet, over top of the salesman who had a reasonable shot at selling me something he does have (and for more money).
AND, is an extra 40,000 miles on what was alleged to be "The nicest, cleanest, best maintained car I've seen in seven months (oddly specific timeframe)" a good deal for 4000$ less?
ALSO, is taking a car to my own mechanic a waste of an afternoon and 80$ when buying a relatively low milage car from a big dealership and some warranty still left?

We didn't talk about extended warranties, though they appear to offer them. Probably not something I should be looking at, right?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

Minivans can tow in theory but they are still essentially FWD sedan drivetrains which are unsuited for that sort of thing. Tow hitch on a 5 year old minivan = transmission on its last legs.

I just need it for a bike rack, but yeah, maybe need to have that given a good look, in case the previous owner liked to haul his pontoon boat.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Other revelation about 3rd row minivans, goddamn things are huge. My garage used to fit my prius, my jeep grand cherokee, my shop vac, a busted chair waiting for large trash day, both trash bins, and two bikes on a rack. Now it fits the odyssey, the prius, and the trashcans. Need to get a shed for the mower and the bikes.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

When shopping for cars, is there a minimum size vehicle that can hold two baby seats? I have one kid on the way and probably another down the road but don't expect 3. Yet I get nonstop advice from coworkers to get crossover or bigger, whereas I figure even my dad's fiesta could hold two seats in the back. Am I wrong?

How long you looking to hold on to the car? I did just fine with a Prius till the kids were well into elementary school (including a stroller){And a 15 year old prius is going to be a great car for boys with a learners permit}. Now days we get a fair amount of value out of a minivan because they have friends who like to tag along to things, and taking one 7-8 seat van is better on gas and parking than two hatchbacks.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 9, 2015

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Fuuuuuuuck I don't want to go car shopping again this year, but my 2007 package zero Prius with 130k on it just got totaled.

Insurance will probably pay out about 7500$ for it. My first instinct is to go buy the finest, lowest milage dark grey prius I can get for 7500$
Anything I should be looking out for on this? will I be 1000$ happier with the finest dark grey low mileage prius I can get for 8500$?
I don't think I like the flying-buttress center console for the 3rd generation priuses. Would it be something I would get used to, and find whatever other 3rd-generation-ness to be worth having?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

What sucks is that I want a 2nd generation prius. the 3rd generation is smaller on the inside, and bigger on the outside, for no good goddamn reason. But there are a million 2011 priuses on the lot because of people turning them over after 3-4 years, and the only 2009 priuses have been sitting on the lot for 287 days because they are in garbage condition on lovely corner lots on the rear end-end of west county. If people didn't sell/return them after 3-4 years, they are going to drive them into the dirt, like I was going to.

Probably going to end up settling for a newer car that I don't like as well for more money, just so I can get this poo poo done.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Well, that is pleasant. Ended up getting a 2009 Prius, with leather/heated seats, not a scratch, backup camera, etc and 60,000 miles on it for 9500$ including tax, title, administrative fees, and a full tank of gas. Insurance pays out 7500$ for the totaled 2007. So I'm reasonably happy with my new 2000$ car.

Only took a week of looking at dirty bent overpriced crap on lovely corner lots an hour away to find something decent.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

That Works posted:

Is there a substantial difference or advantage to the plug-in versions of the Prius vs the regular? Is having that worth it over the regular at all?

If you live within 6 miles of work, maybe.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

squidtarts posted:

Is there a big advantage over getting a 3rd gen instead of 2nd gen Prius? There's a 2007 model with fewer miles that's slightly cheaper. I'm not sure whether to prioritize age or mileage.

Nope. the 2gen is actually bigger inside. 2007 probably won't have bluetooth, but you can get an aftermarket bluetooth module to plug into the stock cd, for about 100$ or however much you want to spend for an aftermarket head unit (and the plastic to go around it)

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm curious, why is everyone so quick to recommend the Prius? Is it because it's a hybrid, or because recent competition with electric cars has caused a decrease in demand (and dealers wanting to move them more), or something else?

They are best-ever reliable, cheap to own, and there are a million bazillion of them, so you can always find the one you want, and can walk away from any price shenanigans, because there is another just like it within 50 feet of you. They are reasonably big on the inside and reasonably small on the outside.

They aren't fun or exciting, but as a driving appliance, there isn't anything better.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

I Love Topanga posted:

Proposed Budget: $25,000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: SUV (Currently thinking Nissa Pathfinder, Mazda CX9, or Honda Pilot)
How will you be using the car?: Family of 4 (two car seats), strollers, groceries, and occasional guests
What aspects are most important to you? 3 rows of seating

Growing out of the 2005 Prius. Looking to upgrade to a larger vehicle that can comfortably accommodate my family.

Get a minivan. You'll pay all the money in the world (or 25k), even for very used, but a Honda Odyssey is awesome for moving family around. You aren't fooling anybody about your virility and sexual availability with your Mom-SUV, so get a van that has nice folding seats, and like 18 cupholders. Seriously, minivans drive better than SUV's make better use of interior space, and have actually useable-by-adults-for-moderate-distances third rows without being Suburban sized.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not fully convinced that you need a minivan or similar sized vehicle for two kids.

Not when they are small, you just throw two carseats in the back, and shovel it out with a manure fork every so often. But when you've got junior-high age kids, they've got friends, and you'll be swapping rides/carpooling/taking people to do poo poo with your family a fair bit, and then a 3rd row is going to get weekly use.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Sea Pancake posted:

Edit: Also, I've heard that if the battery dies on a Prius and you need to replace it you're out $5k. I definitely don't have $5k I wouldn't miss to throw at a new battery for a car. This car would only be 3 years old so I doubt the battery would have been replaced yet.

Batteries don't fail all at once, if they fail at all, and it isn't 5g's anymore either. Car works reasonably well with half or less of it's original battery capacity, but generally if you get anything done, you get one or three failing cells replaced, not the whole thing.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

euphronius posted:

I think it's the anti Iranian sentiment in the USA that keeps people away .

Zoroastrian jokes?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

euphronius posted:

Yes.

I'm sorry.

Turns out Mazda alleges that is why it is called that.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Mursh posted:

I'm looking at buying a Honda Odyssey EX, most likely a 2014 after looking around as it fits my budget and what I'm looking for.

There's not many privately available so I'm leaning toward a certified used partially for some peace of mind cause I'm not the most knowledgeable about cars. Im wondering though, can I trust the inspection was done?Should I be asking to have someone else independently look at the car? Would the dealership even consider that or is it overkill?I've only bought new or used cars from friends so not sure where to go here or what kind of questions to ask compared to a regular used car.

It is only 50-80$ to have a mechanic give it a pre-purchase inspection, and it is a good way to get the dealership to replace wear items or transmission fluid, or whatever it is that your mechanic flags under the already agreed price. For the kind of money you unass for a not-that-used minivan, it is money and 2 hours well spent. And not unlikely to get you 300$ worth of work from the dealer gratis for 80$ worth of inspection.

Also, gives the dealership a chance to be dickholes before they have your 25k, so you can decide to walk.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

I like colors that are almost boring. The Nord Grey NSX would suit nicely. It is mostly grey, but with a slightly green verdigris tinge to it.

I do have strong opinions on reds. They should be a scarlet, with a good deal of orange in. Any red with a hint of purple is more suited to a throw pillow than an automobile.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Turns out the only thing more annoying than trying to fix your parents computer over the phone is helping them shop for cars over the phone.

My mom finally had her 23 year old Volvo 740 die, and needs a new whip. I suggested to her the usual you want a car? buy a Prius, you want a red car, buy a Mazda 3 hatch. To little uptake.

Apparently she likes the ride height on the Ford Escape, and thinks it may be easier to get in and out of as she gets older (a reasonably spry 70 year old now)

She also liked the "bells and whistles" on a Malibu.

With that level of vague old person talk, is a Malibu a reasonable use of 23k for a 70 year old woman who probably doesn't put 4000 miles on a car in a year? Does it actually have a good tech package? How is the ford escape as an old person car?

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

silvergoose posted:

*I* don't mind it, my wife does seem to think it's ugly. A bit pricier than the Sedona I guess?

Of these, the Sedona seems lowest price-wise. Is there a significant reason the other cars are better?

Thanks both of you, though, for the quick responses!

There is a reason school pickup lines are 80% Honda Odyssey by volume. Really well thought out family transportation system, and the 3rd row is usable by medium sized adults. But they are also brutally expensive new, and hold value like crazy, so buying used isn't going to net you any this-decade bargains. Also not bad to drive for 14 hours at a stretch.