Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hello, I recently bought a used car and have myself in a less than perfect situation.

I bought a reasonably nice mid 00s car from a dealer, final price was 2200 that didn't disclose had a previos salvage title. I have contacted the sales person about the issue and have in writing that he didn't know about the title issue.

He asked what I would like him too do to make the situation right and I'm not sure what / how much to ask for.

I am in a state where written disclosure of previous salvage is required by a dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That's my dilemma actually, the car itself has 170,000 miles on it and the accident occurred at around 95,000 from the car history report that I have pulled up after seeing the title wasn't clear (I know I should have done this before). It was totaled from being rear ended several years ago and there's not any obvious damage to the vehicle from it.

That's why I'm trying to see what I should ask for besides just getting a refund for the car, although I am considering doing that.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hello, I recently bought a used car and have myself in a less than perfect situation.

I bought a reasonably nice mid 00s car from a dealer, final price was 2200 that didn't disclose had a previos salvage title. I have contacted the sales person about the issue and have in writing that he didn't know about the title issue.

He asked what I would like him too do to make the situation right and I'm not sure what / how much to ask for.

I am in a state where written disclosure of previous salvage is required by a dealer.

Sorry to put this back up but I am really struggling with asking for a full re efund or finding a reasonable price adjustment to compensate for the lower resale value in the future.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Remy Marathe posted:

For the sake of argument- what if he could angle for a substantial refund? Who finds a car that's not a piece of poo poo in need of major repairs for < $2000 anymore?

Resale value seems pretty ridiculous to consider on a $2200 car. What if he could get it down to like $1000-$1500, AND is confident in it being [reasonably] mechanically sound, AND he's already established the insurance situation as acceptable (who buys more than basic liability on a $2k car?), AND he means to drive it into the ground and expect nothing more than a few bucks from his local auto recycler when he's done with it? Couldn't this be turned into a reasonably priced disposable car?

This is the exact thing that I've been considering. From doing some digging around I do know that a local body shop performed the repairs on the car (they owned the car for ~8 months). Its been 5 years since then, not sure if they would have the records or if they would be willing to share them if a random person called and asked about it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Butt Bidness posted:

Would love to have this answered RE why is the kbb value so low compared to the market.

Well the buy from dealer value is in the ball park of what that Craigslist ad is priced near. It seems a private party trying to get dealer prices for their car.