Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Heyo AI/AT/thread - I'm in the market for a new sedan or hatchback or something! I got rekt by a fellow and my 2012 Ford Focus SE is now totaled - so I'm looking for something to replace it.

Proposed Budget: ~$20,000 (I'm gonna get $8000 from insurance, I'm pretty sure)
New or Used: New ideally
Body Style: I'm a huge fan of the Ford Focus I had totaled out under me - so a compact size car would be nice. I'm not particular about hatchback/coupe/whatever.
How will you be using the car?: Mostly city/highway driving, but I like going camping? So something with a bit of trunk storage would be good.
What aspects are most important to you? Compact size, good gas mileage.

I was looking things up earlier and apparently there are cars now that will parallel park themselves? That honestly seems amazing. Edmunds and autotrader don't have a nice way to search for cars with that, though, sadly.

edit: I haven't thought about car buying in a while - would a Ford dealership still have 2013/2014 Ford Focuses in stock somewhere?

wolfs fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

what's the AI wisdom for best gas mileage in a car that's not some weirdo hybrid or diesel thing? / ...is buying a diesel car as annoying as it seems? i feel like it's random what gas stations carry diesel

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

sharkytm posted:

More details please?

Oh, I'm in the US. Texas. If all goes to plan within a year I'll be living out in the boonies and have a longer drive to work- I have a 2017 CR-V that's nice but doesn't have the greatest range compared to the 2012 Ford Focus I had until someone t-boned and totaled it.

I'm definitely not going to buy new.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Corolla/Civic are your best bet for low cost of ownership / low fuel consumption in a gasoline car without any hybridization.

Any reason you're not recommending a Yaris? Or like, an old Fiat 500?
I'm leaning towards something compact. I miss how zippy that 2012 Focus was.

edit: though I'm starting to wonder if I should be looking into small trucks??? this will be a second car for commuting is what I was thinking but now I'm not sure

wolfs fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 21, 2020

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

In thinking about this it occurs to me the back of my CR-V isn't that huge (which doesn't matter right now since I live in a dense suburb and don't use the trunk for much), and it gets about 30ish mpg or higher when I drive well, so maybe that isn't as much of a commuting issue as I thought.
Points taken about the Yaris and Fiat. I guess they've got less interior volume than a Focus. The reason I'm reluctant to get another Focus is that Ford stopped making them, and parts will probably dry up, right?

But anyways. Trucks.
I *will* have to contend with some acreage when I move, so I just glanced at truck prices and mpg ratings, and they don't encourage me. No one is making fuel efficient small trucks in the US?

wolfs fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 21, 2020

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Throatwarbler posted:

Maybe that was true back in the bad old days but Chrysler owns them now. :911:

Was your '12 Focus an auto, if so then count yourself lucky. Also do not buy another Focus.

yeah it was an automatic sport

lucky how? i mean it crumpled up pretty good when i got hit but it was nice to drive

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Hey, re: 2012 Ford Focus and the biz with the payouts -

In 2017 my Focus went over a curb on a turn I've made thousands of times and I wasn't sure why, but regardless it got called totaled and salvaged and whatever else.
Before that I'd taken it to the dealership 2 or 3 times for transmission and electrical troubles.
Would I get a substantial amount of money from this thing?

I don't think I have all my old receipts is the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Is the Ford Maverick going to exist as new stock for at least 3 years? / What are the odds Honda makes a hybrid truck smaller than the Ridgeline? They just killed the Fit. If Ford really start the Maverick at $20k I’d consider trading in or selling my CR-V for it (since Credit Karma is claiming it’s worth $22,500 right now).

My 2017 Honda CR-V is nice, but the few times I carry big things and put the back seat down I find myself wishing it were less constrained overall — and 40 mpg seems really nice versus the about 30 I get now driving carefully.

also, a datapoint re: over MSRP cars. I’m in Austin, TX getting an oil change and I walked through the dealer’s lot — they have exactly one Honda Insight and it’s selling for $26,005 - $995 over the $25,010 MSRP. For 52 mpg! hybrids are insane