Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Augmented Dickey posted:

Not sure how many are on the used market yet, but a low milage 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive should suit your needs perfectly. I don't think yu're going to find anything truely 'sporty' with <30k on the odometer under $20k. But if you're coming from a Park Avenue pretty much any compact sedan should feel quite agile in comparison.

Having just bought a used Mazda 3 this weekend (thanks thread!), you won't find a 2012 with low miles for under $20k either.

It's insanely nice coming from a 94 Camry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Agronox posted:

Sure you will; I bought a 2012 Skyactiv new for around $18k OTD.

Automatic though? The shitlord boss at the dealership tried to sell me a new 2012 Mazda 3 for less than 20k (before all the other costs) but it was a manual. I can't drive stick so it was a no-go. Then he tried to sell me a new Mazda 2 - which was like driving a river barge with 1 horsepower. I can't believe anyone buy those things, especially new. Not everyone can drive stick or wants to deal with dickhead dealers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

IOwnCalculus posted:

If your car has that low of a value, consider that the dealer may not even want it in trade. When I bought said MS3 in 2009, the dealer didn't even want to make me an offer on the only vehicle I'd have traded (a 1988 Volvo 240). Definitely let them make an offer if they're willing to once you have the purchase price where you want it to be.

Look around dealers' websites though. When I bought my Mazda 3 I was able to get $1500 trade-in for my piece of poo poo 94 Camry because they had a promo deal going.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The upkeep costs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

rockcity posted:

Yeah, it's highly model specific and most performance models are ones that break that trend like STi's, MS3's, etc. For some reason some of the cheaper economy cars are also falling into the trend as well.

I think it's just the low base price to begin with takes away a lot of the possible price difference. Versas, for instance could be had so cheap new when I was looking that the used market was really unfriendly for the buyer. On that you might as well have bought new. I really didn't like them though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I have no rust on my '09 3 that I know of, for what it's worth. Mid-atlantic region too, so we get a fair amount of road salt and humidity both.

Just had it serviced by a shop I trust too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

An automatic '06 Accord with 54k miles for $6000? Maybe if it was literally on fire or there were still fish flopping around the back seat from when it was at the bottom of the river.

It doesn't get mentioned much but it's a good idea to research your dealer while you're researching your car. This place also purports to have a 08 Civic with 30k miles on it for 9 grand. Either they're flat out false advertising, it's hot, or it was formerly home to a family of raccoons, who were also on fire.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) Looking at compacts to midsize. Does not matter if its 4 door or a coup but I'd prefer if it can hold up to four-five people for weekend trips.

Mazda 3

You're not getting 3 people in the back of a Mazda 3 comfortably, and the leg room isn't what you'd call great. But I have the sedan version, maybe the hatch has more room.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oaks posted:

Is it possible to custom order a new car? I know you're restricted to basically whatever is in the inventory when you go to the dealer, but is there any way of getting specifically what you want (in terms of trim + options) without waiting until you get lucky? I'm not in any hurry, I could wait for months if need be.

I know BMW will do it, even fly you out to Germany if you want to cough up that much cash. I knew a guy whose parents did it. (It wasn't that nice a car, I don't get it.)

As has been said, for more common (although low end BMWs are common as dirt around here) cars there's probably something that matches your qualifications just on a lot not too far away, and dealers will truck stuff around, or in my case just drive you to the other lot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CaseFace McGee posted:

Also, how is the cost of ownership for a Mazda 3? I am no longer looking at Mini because it requires run-flat tires and high octane fuel, which brings up cost of ownership. How does Mazda compare for typical parts costs, etc?

I've had a 2009 for a year and aside from gas I've spent like $250?, which includes whatever scheduled maintenance crap the mechanic said I needed to do after it passed 60k. I'm awful at remembering to get the oil done so I put it on synthetic, which was more expensive but lets me be a total idiot about getting it changed.

In other words, pretty cheap. Also no rust to speak of, and we do get winter here.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bovril Delight posted:

I know the Civic Hybrids of that era had a lot of stories on the battery crapping out. Is it on the original battery pack? Pretty sure there was a class action lawsuit.

Part of the problem with hybrids is the battery as it ages. I wouldn't buy one used aside from the Prius though, but I wouldn't buy one of those either unless you're unrealistically dedicated to the environment (and replacing the battery is stupid bad for the environment anyway). I would also be very wary of a Honda 06 for that price that wasn't a hybrid unless it had a lot of miles on it, and 70k isn't a lot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

For lack of a better term, that's a weekend car, not a daily driver. I would love to pick up a cheapish 90s Miata myself for fun when I have some spare cash, but I wouldn't rely on something like that to get to work. You're looking at older cars that have higher maintenance costs and I guess if you can afford that go for it, but it's not ideal if you can't.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

an skeleton posted:

I see-- well my friend who buys cars from auction recently got an Acura TSX 2004 with a euro-r body kit, a bunch of options and a really expensive sound system installed in it that he'll sell me for 4500 (I don't think he's actually making a profit off of it). The only downside is 169k miles. Assuming it was well taken care of, could this be a good deal? It's basically everything I want in a car besides the mileage, it's even black on black.

That's a lot for a car with 170k on it regardless of badge or sound systems or whatever if you want it to last. You could do better for that amount.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

an skeleton posted:

Well, it has some cool stuff that wasn't aftermarket on it too. My edmund's is saying dealer retail 6,367 and private party 5,216 at 170k miles. In any case I'll have a mechanic or two look at it.

When you get up to that many miles you're looking at a bunch of stuff just looking to fail on you relatively soon. Even on Hondas/Toyotas. I mean, it could be fine and all, but for sure have it looked at and try to talk him down some.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Have you considered a Prius?

I'm not sure what bothered you about the Camry, since it sounds like that's exactly the car for you, but hey.

As far as Mazda 3s, yes, the ride will always be stiff; they are designed that way.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Emasculatrix posted:

I negotiated a 2011 Prius 2 with 30k miles and powertrain warranty to $15,000. This is probably around the base price of the new 2015 Fit. I was thinking that if it's the same price, it might make sense to buy the new car though. I don't care about the driving experience- I care that the car is safe and won't cost a lot.

That's a nice looking deal even after the bullshit tax/tags/fees/whatever and keep in mind that "base price" on a brand new Fit will be a manual with bone stock everything.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

an skeleton posted:

I don't know, I feel like the only reliable cars are toyotas/lexus and honda/acura, and I think corolla/camrys are insanely boring so I'm trying to get something of the honda/acura variety, but its tough. Any other brands you think I should check out?

Mazda 3 post.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

A post recommending a Mazda 3! (They're kind of frequent.)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Grumpwagon posted:

You'll probably want to narrow it down a bit more. You have a ton of options. To start a test drive list: Ford Focus/Fiesta, Mazda 2/3/6 (I believe rust is still an issue, but chime in), Honda Accord (I don't think the current Civic was received very well), Toyota Prius.

Don't even bother looking for 2s. They're so cheap that used will be effectively the same price as new, if he can even find a used one, also they are super anemic. (Unless you'd prefer to look at new cars, in which case the Versa is in a similar situation but has more room.)

I have no rust on my 3, but we've had 2 pretty mild winters in the 5 years it's been around. Anecdotal evidence! Just give it a good wash when it gets above freezing to get the salt off, which you should probably do to any car really.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

an skeleton posted:

This car is about 2k above my budget, but it seems like a good deal with navigation and fairly low mileage and what not. Opinions?
http://www.luterileyhonda.com/used/Acura/2006-Acura-TL-dallas-b7561aeb0a0a00640db09614f73372be.htm

edit: Do I still need to take this car to a mechanic since it's coming from a certified dealership? I'm assuming so but just double checking.

That depends on the dealer. If it's a huge chain you're probably ok because they will likely warranty it to some degree. If it's BillyBob's Certified Used Cars and Lightly Used Toilet Paper Emporium then I'd wonder.

Also, is navigation really even a feature? Do you have a cellphone from 2002 or something? Don't upsell yourself 2 thousand bucks on something your phone already does. And 120K ain't that low.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

rockcity posted:

I've had navigation in my last three cars and I've gotten so used to having it that I'd really miss it if I didn't. I've gotten it because it was part of the trim package I wanted each time though. More than actual navigation, it's nice being able to just have an overhead view of where I on a map right in my dash rather than having to get out my phone to do. That being said, it's a nav system from 2006, that I'm betting has never been updated so it's likely loaded with all sorts of roads that are incorrect or missing roads that are now upwards of seven years old.

http://www.amazon.com/GreatShield-L...mount+galaxy+s4

I dunno, I guess if it's bundled in with a trim level sure, but I don't see the point in saying "oooooh navigation!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ultimate Mango posted:

The amazing thing is if you can get someone who is fully transparent about he back end stuff and can include it in the deal. I have one dealer willing to lower the price more based on financing knowing full well I won't carry the loan full term (but pay it back the third month).

The sales lizard gets his commission regardless; he doesn't give a poo poo if the dealership makes anything on the financing end.

Anyway, to the other guy, shop around! Especially if you're doing a trade-in, some places are way more generous than others, and some places will offer you scrap pricing. I got way more than my piece of poo poo nearly dead Camry was worth because the dealer was running some dumb program apeing Cash for Clunkers (yes, several years after that was even a thing) that only like one guy at the dealership even knew what I was talking about.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Seems to me that since you're only going to use it for a year and change, then try to flip it fast, you should just go for the most popular car you can find, treat it nice, and try to get most of your money back out of it. As long as it does the job, resale is the main factor. So basically find a dirt common Toyota/Honda model in good shape and make sure the filters don't get jammed with sand. Fortunately, safety tends to correlate with such cars.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

an skeleton posted:

Can I get opinions on this car judging from the CList:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4334966157.html

edit:
How cheap of a price would this need to be to be a good deal:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/4334455842.html

quote:

Mileage: 185000

IT WONT LAST LONG!!

No poo poo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DaveSauce posted:

Maybe a good question to ask is: If I'm looking at the Legacy, Mazda 6, Fusion, Accord, are there any major differences between these cars that I would be stupid to ignore? Or is it all small stuff that really boils down to personal preference? I can make a decision if it comes down to personal preference, I just don't want to ignore obvious things just because I like brand X over brand Y.

An Accord will hold its value best when you eventually decide to trade it in for a Subaru?

Just get the Subaru if that's what you want duder.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Have you driven a Highlander? There's not much more room than an Accord, if any. I borrowed both for a few months over the years and it's really just a jacked up sedan.

And really, yappy rat dogs don't take any space that a CUV would help with. More cubic feet doesn't really matter for them, only lateral space, unless you plan on playing dog tetris.

And 99.999_% of Jeep Cherokees (and all SUVs) are only driven offroad to the extent that sometimes you have to park on the grass/gravel when you go to a concert or picnic.

Go test drive some stuff, you seem to be working off numbers online that aren't getting you the whole truth.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Faceless Clock posted:

I don't agree with this. The downsides of a car as unsafe and unreliable as an old Metro are considerable.

Since you do not seem to care much about the car as more than a tool, I'd recommend looking at cars that are three to five years old. You can easily snag a 50k mile Camry, Accord, Fusion or comparable car for about ten to fifteen grand.

On what planet can you get a 3 year old Camry/Accord for 10 grand?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The reason for that is simple: Saturn was just another of many, many GM rebadge brands.

At 3k$ you're buying a beater, and it's going to be a case by case thing. When you get to that range it's more important that the car is well maintained and any major defects have already gone bad and been fixed than what marque it is.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

plester1 posted:

This is why prepayment penalties exist. Read your loan paperwork!

Pretty sure that's completely illegal in my state. YMMV. On my (usurious because my credit is garbage from lovely student loans that amounted to nothing useful; don't go to law school, folks) loan I could pay it off tomorrow with no penalties if I had the cash on hand.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mazda 3 or Ford Focus seems most in line with what you want, you could get either up front with what you've got if you're ok with an older model.

There's nothing wrong with Altimas, but they're a normal size sedan. The Focus and 3 fit small parking spaces a lot easier. As always, go drive the ones you haven't and see what you prefer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Priusii... Priuses? Do not have big problems.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Throatwarbler posted:

What, this glorious rear end didn't make you smile even once?

I think you just need to lighten up a bit.

EDIT: Well that sure is a wall of text explaining all the reasons not to buy a 5 series GT.

I've never seen a car that looked like it was trying to force out a really stubborn poo poo but here we are.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks, all. Gotta revise my guessed budget, though, she wants to stay at $25k now that I've had a chance to ask her. She likes the Venza but that pushes it

Consider a used Highlander? They're cheaper than the Venza but are kinda the same thing for your needs - it's basically a tall Camry. My dad had one when he could still walk on crutches, and they're pretty easy to get in and out of if that's an issue.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Ok well it is nice to hear that it is not super shady up front. I figured as much honestly, why would taxis use them if they weren't reliable? One guy I talked to said they would be lovely on gas millage but if they are reliable cars then that wouldn't be too much of an issue, I don't plan to have an hour commute every day or anything.

Cops, generally, keep their fleets well maintained. Their castoffs could have high mileage from some highway cop but were looked after real well, or could be old and sat idling at a toll plaza 20 hours per day but have no miles on it, or it could have been a city beat car that got rode hard and put away wet. That's up to you to figure out. You could do worse if what you're looking for is a cheap but reliable shitheap to beat into the ground; the parts and maintenance is cheap. But nobody's going to want to buy it off you. As ex-fleet cars go, the cops are relatively good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If they were well maintained that's about what you'd pay for that car at that mileage in MD, albeit a little high maybe. I used to own one myself from that era, and it lasted until 190k until I thought it was well and truly on the way out. Basically the same as what was said about crown vics applies to Camrys, there's so bloody many of them out there that parts and fixes are pretty cheap. Of course you never know how well it was treated by the prior owner.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

The guy tried to down play everything like it wasn't a big deal. After including tags, tax, title, inspecting i was able to stone wall him down to 3800 for everything. But I walked away in the end since he kept insisting I give him 200 on the spot before he was willing to fix the engine light and the buzzing sound when accelerating.

"Yeah, so when we took it apart a bit, it looks like it's going to cost ..."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

spwrozek posted:

Could you explain more? Like I said I have time to make a decision. Realistically the Saturn can be OK this summer and my wife will probably drive down here more than me up there.

People are stupid and forget winter exists. This matters in places that get real actual winter, like you do.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am going to question your need for AWD in NYC unless you work at a hospital or something. Think hard about that one - if you get rid of the AWD requirement and throw snows on your car in the winter (I am a broken record), you will open yourself up to a delightful class of small cars which are both cheaper and more fuel efficient - Fit, Yaris, Fiesta, Versa Note, Mazda2, Sonic etc.

Also Prius C, since he lives in 100% city driving.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is there any reason you would be looking at Mazda 2s and not 3s? 3s are much better cars and not much more expensive used. Around here at least, used 2s are a bad prospect because the base price is so low that they don't depreciate enough for it be a buyer's market, without even taking into account how horrendously underpowered they are.

You could get a 3 hatch for around that price if you look at a few years older, and 39k klickadoodles or whatever moon miles you Canadians use isn't even very much these days, so don't worry about that kind of mileage too much, other than that it was on a former rental car only a year old* and 2s aren't worth it.

* They are selling it for a reason if it's that new.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nm posted:

The 2 is actually a more fun car than the last gen 3 IF you buy the stick. And it is way less underpowered than 100hp would indicate because it is quite light.

It is quite light, but driving one felt more sluggish and anemic than the beat to hell 20 year old Camry I was trading in. Also being light isn't a great point when you're talking to someone living in the frigid north, as that poster does - even the 3 is a little lighter than I'd trust most people with in the snow we get here around DC.

I can't speak to how the manuals are, though.