Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wow. I had a Versa rental and while it was miserable it did have a regular rear end am/fm/cd stereo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cretin90 posted:

Sorry, to clarify the unlimited powertrain warranty is free and included.

Even CPO is kind of a waste on a Honda that is only a year or three old.

"unlimited" warranty is more of a selling point if you're buying something that is ready to explode at any time like a Fiat or a Mini.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Trackers like to roll and kill people. Not that anything from 1993 is likely to be reliable anyway, but I'd say keep looking.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Internet Explorer posted:

I disagree. They are so uncool and old at this point that they are basically the perfect hipster cars.

Has anyone suggested a Pontiac Aztec?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

There are more Mazdas in the sea if you want one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Eric the Mauve posted:

The thread title should probably just be “Unless you’re towing regularly or have 3 kids, buy a Prius”

Someone would immediately buy a salvage title former rental Prius.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

500 miles per week is most likely a lot of highway miles, in which case a hybrid won't do you nearly as much good in terms of mileage. A Prius would be pretty low-maintenance though, since that sounds like it's also a real concern if you've managed to thrash a 7 year old Hyundai.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I want to hear the story behind why a 1998 Chrysler is even being considered. Is a relative offering it to you for free?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The new Civic design isn't bad, it's just... eccentric.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I mean, Prius, but alternatively, yeah, I agree with Honda Fit or Mazda3 hatch.

But also, you sound like you might like CUVs. Not as big as a grand cherokee, but higher ride than a car by a bit. Take a look at things like the Honda CRV, Mazda CX-5, and Toyota, poo poo, what's theirs, the Venza?

As far as turn radius I don't -think- much made now that you're interested in will be unable to hang a U with 2 full lanes of space but that should be something you see how you like on a test drive.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If I was just racking up highway miles like crazy I think I'd actually want something quieter and smoother riding.

Like a Prius.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deteriorata posted:

Edmund's TCO estimates for a Prius are about the same as a Mazda 3. The Repair and Maintenance costs are also about the same (comparing 2012 models, ).

I still can't figure out how they're getting these numbers. Driving on the surface of mars?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deteriorata posted:

The maintenance costs estimate comes from the recommended service intervals by the manufacturers. The repair costs estimate is derived from the costs of extended warranties (after stripping out the profit, incentives, and other non-repair based factors).

So nearly complete bullshit then.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deteriorata posted:

I will take bad data over no data.

That's been made abundantly clear. Nobody else wants to though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Look, I know there’s cheaper and better cars out there than Nissan Rogues, but this car is for my mom, and seat comfort is a big, big, BIG deal for her because of medical poo poo. And for some reason she was really anxious to buy today so I could only get her to test drive a Rogue and a lovely Escape. I couldn’t get her to look at anything else. Trust me, you’d understand if you knew my mom; getting her out of the house at all is kind of a pain, and she can’t normally stay out for very long when she does leave for health reasons I don’t feel like going into here.

If it were up to me, we would’ve gotten her a CR-V and probably walked away with a better car for less money, but like I said, we already own a 2015 CR-V now and we’ve owned others before it and Mom has always hated the seats in them. They hurt her back and hips if she sits in them for too long, and we need a car where that’s not an issue. She also has trouble getting in and out of CR-Vs (including ours) because they’re high up off the ground and she has mobility problems.

EDIT: I should also point out that the only reason we considered Rogues in the first place (as opposed to the other cars people suggested in this thread the last time I posted here) is because a couple of months ago we were in a position to get a really, really good deal on one, and my mom test-drove one then and decided that she loved it.

My mom is prone to the same sort of stupid poo poo, so I can sympathize. I don't think she'd ever consider chainsawing a hole into a car just so she could smoke out of it without cracking a window, but my mom doesn't smoke.

But there's no sense in arguing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is there a reason you don't want to go to a dealer?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Because a private seller might try to rip you off whereas a dealer will try to rip you off?

Everyone will try to rip you off.

But regardless, it's going to be really drat hard to find a Toyota or Honda sedan with under 50k miles that just sits around waiting to sell.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Save all the documentation, park the car in storage, and bring it out to car shows in 30 years as a one of one with unique factory options :v:

"Whoa, Ford used to make cars?"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't. I had just already informally agreed to the thing before I realized the title would be an issue. He's taken it in for additional servicing since then (there was an AC leak), and now I'm in an awkward position of telling him I can't buy from him.

You didn't get engaged to him, and imo trying to sell someone a car when you haven't got clean title is, at the very least, negotiating in bad faith and you shouldn't feel bad walking away.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

This is also called floating the title, and there's very little enforcement done to punish those that do it in Texas. Title transfer fees (about $125) + 6% on the sales price of the vehicle is what it costs to register in Texas.

It's really not a big deal, especially if you can do a clean title search and see if there's anything outstanding. I'd demand that the seller gives you a discount of whatever the registration fee is in Georgia, else no deal.

Maybe it's no big deal, but unless this car is some kind of unicorn why would you take a risk you don't need to? Nobody buying a car is needs to help the seller dodge taxes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nm posted:

My understanding is that it is safer for basically everyone to ride rear facing, even adults. The question is when the inconvenience and car sickness outweighs the increase in safety.

God our self driving cars with rear facing seats and bubblewrap interiors are going to be such a bummer in like 20 years.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FilthyImp posted:

or C2C so you can bodyslam the guy who just cut you off.

Ok I think I'm coming around to the idea of Commuter Unknown's Battlegrounds.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Throatwarbler posted:

All you guys who want cheap cars but are scared of reverse:

https://www.amazon.com/JEEMAK-Rearv...L70_&dpSrc=srch

I'm even more scared of loving around with my car's wiring. I just solve the problem by parallel parking really really horribly.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Casu Marzu posted:

I believe Mazda significantly improved it for MY2010. My 2011 has been a snow state car since new and there's no signs of rust yet.

Helps that it's been garaged and washed regularly.

My 09 lives outside in a snow state and I never wash it. No rust. Anecdotes are useless though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chunjee posted:

How's that Tesla stock doing?

I don't think it's fair to lump in all electrics with Car Citizen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EvilMerlin posted:

If you are looking at the Mazda 5, Rav4 and Tuscon, take a look at the 2019 Edge as well.

I think ya'll mean the CX-5... the regular Mazda 5 is a weird minivan. Also look at the CRV.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

True, but you could do a lot worse on a snap decision than a CRV, other than the questionable AWD system.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m laughing at someone looking at a Hyundai and making fun of a Kia.

I'm sure Hyundai's brand managers are stoked that they've managed to differentiate their two brands to the point where someone would.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mazda3 or Civic hatches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Seats 7 what?