Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guni posted:

Proposed Budget: $15-$30,000 (preferably around $20kish)
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback or smaller sedan.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver - probably average 200km's a week.

What aspects are most important to you? Probably reliability, in that I don't want poo poo to be constantly breaking as I (a) don't have the technical know how and (b) don't have any room to actually fix anything (apartment living).

Hey goons, I'm currently looking at purchasing a car at the end of the year, maybe a little sooner. I'm looking for a car that is sporty (even if it's just quick 0-100 km/h), however, unfortunately it has to be an automatic as my girlfriend doesn't want to drive a manual (she has a sort of legitimate reason, but I'd prefer not to go into it tbh).

I know there's golf GTI, but I know they're not the best reliability wise..But that's around the size I'm looking for.

I guess it's worth noting that I live in Australia, so a lot of the typical suggestions (G37's etc) aren't viable.

Should I just buy a Mazda 3?

HALP GOONZZ!!1!

I don't know how AUD spend, but you can get a very nice new Mazda 3 for your price range in USD, or quite nice used for your ideal point. They are not, however, fast. They are very fun and sporty slow cars in their class to drive, but they aren't setting the world on fire as far as 0-60. The Mazdaspeed 3 might do you better in that respect, but it's manual.

e: get one with the Skyactiv tech for sure, which I think started in '11 or '12, better MPG and power, and you can afford it.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MarsellusWallace posted:

This is a future value problem - If that big repair is the only thing wrong with an otherwise reliable car, then go for it, then it may be worth it.

Is there any cheap way to own a car for 1 year? I really like the current Mustang, and I'm assuming the next year's will be far better everywhere but the engine, but I need a car for the summer/fall, and they don't come out 'till fall of this year.

Having never owned a car, how good are the various "True Cost to Own" calculators online? I'm looking at Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds, but there's a large spread between them ($29k(kbb)/$35k(edmunds), with a lot of that being in insurance estimates).

Lease. It's a waste of money generally, but if you want a car, particularly an American car, and for only a year, welp. You'll be paying good money, but if you want to/can eat it, at least you won't be on the hook for resale.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BertrandRussell posted:

If price were no object, would the Focus still get the nod over the Mazda3? Like if it were between the Titanium and the Mazda 3S?

Focii are fine cars, but you still do better if you plan to drive it into the ground going Japanese (as a rule in my opinion, but that's just me). The 3's skyactiv redesign in 2012 I believe also majorly improved mileage and power. I can't speak to trim stuff on the Focus but I can't imagine Mazda fell much behind. Given that I have a modern smartphone I don't care much about in dash whatever, but my 3 is also an '09; I'm sure they have more gizmos now.

Aside from scheduled maintenance at 60k the only problem I've had was a screw in a tire I ran over because I drive to a lovely industrial area every day.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

gaan kak posted:

I don't exactly know if this is the right thread for this, but I'm about to sell a car for the first time and wanted to cover my bases. 98 Passat (piece of garbage VW) with some pretty significant body damage, but it runs fine and has less than 124k miles. Looking to get $1k-$1.5k, which seems pretty reasonable. Now, the complicating factor is that it's registered to my parents, who live in WA (and I live in New Orleans). What steps do I need to take to move this car on Craigslist?

Have them sign it over to you of course. At least here in MD, my parents were able to transfer title of my first car to me as a gift with no tax or fees, I think it's a one time thing though.

e: and only because it was a parent to child transfer.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 4, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nm posted:

Yes. And it is quite likely they're driving for business, so their employer probably pays most, if not all, the car payments, so why not buy a new car every 3 years?

That also means they drove it like a total rear end in a top hat with no care. IE why you shouldn't ever buy a former fleet/rental vehicle.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Where can you find scheduled maintenance info?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If you must have a new car at that price range is there any reason you aren't looking at a Focus? I certainly would.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Get a Prius and a snip, or just get a minivan now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ciaphas posted:

Makes sense, I guess. It was just a bit of a shock. I feel like I'd still rather buy new, though, if the savings is that slim, just for peace of mind.

I dunno, 5 grand is not a small amount of money. But depreciation varies a lot outside of constants like Honda/Toyota commanding a premium.

One thing I wish I had personally thought more about was that loans on new cars tend to have better terms than on used.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DELETED posted:

Just how disappointed would I be upgrading from my 98 Civic DX coupe to a new or new-ish Civic coupe? I'm a big fan of the cheap insurance, killer gas mileage and ease of repair for most things. I prefer to do my own repairs when possible, though I'd definitely take advantage of the warranty if applicable. I do a lot of driving for work and receive a mileage compensation so the less I spend on gas, the more money ends up in my pocket. Has Honda really gone that far downhill?

Going from a 98 anything to a newish anything will probably not be disappointing. I don't think Honda/Toyota have gone terribly downhill so much as a few other makers have gotten a lot better (obviously not GM). Like you can buy a Korean car these days and it probably won't fall apart on you.

You should really consider taking a Mazda 3 and/or Focus for a spin, the Honda/Toyota tax buys you less than it used to.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

What would even be the point of etching the vin into the window?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Don't you know, all car thieves walk around with one of those little jeweler's magnifying glass dealies to make sure they never jack the cars with etched windows.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jags are garbage at this point and haven't been "cool" for a long time now. Your other choices aren't either, but cool and reliable/practical are often to usually at odds.

Have you considered just getting a not too old Miata for your cool impress the ladies car and keeping whatever it is you have?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guinness posted:

:lol: I love the Miata as much as anyone but just :lol:

He's in his 50s, I was trying not to be a dick about it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Absolutely everything I have heard about current Jags is that they are a barrel of trouble. If you can get a great warranty, and you clearly seem in love with them, go for it, what you want is the most important thing.

If your current car is paid off, albeit old, and in good condition (it is a Toyota after all), you might look at how much it will cost to keep it minimally insured, and at that point just say gently caress it and buy your Jag with a backup car tarped or in the garage.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

BFC questions for this thread:

1. We're in a position to buy a car in all cash. Is there any reason we should not just sit down at the dealer and cut them a check? Or would financing part of it allow us to weasel our way into a better deal?

2. Would we get more money out of our old car if we sold it to Carmax for cash first instead of doing a trade-in? Or would using it as a bargaining chip at the dealer be more advantageous for us?

Assuming we don't hate it on a test drive, looks like we're getting a Subaru Forester. The salt chat from earlier in this thread has me a little worried about the Subaru since we're in the mid-west where it snows a lot.

1. Dealers make most of their money on financing and warranties and other bullshit. You can absolutely come out better off making them think that you aren't going to immediately pay the entire thing off and that you need the worst possible loan terms ever as long as the pre-interest price looks nicer. They want you to finance, why give away your hand?

2. Depends what you're trading in but I think you usually do better selling private party or at least not as a trade in.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Big L posted:

Proposed Budget: $18,500
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4 door sedan, compact
How will you be using the car?: Single urban driver in Florida with a <2 mile daily work commute. Occasional road trips to visit family/friends.
What aspects are most important to you?: Automatic transmission, Comfort (interior noise, smooth ride), Fuel Economy, Reliability, Gizmos (see below for aftermarket questions)

For that price new look at Ford Fiestas or Focii. You don't want a Mazda 3, there is interior noise and the ride is sporty, not smooth. I guess the Versa is usually that cheap too? But it kind of sucks.

I can't even imagine a new Civic for 17k unless it has no seats or something. I guess Florida must be super cheap or something. But I mean, yeah, go for that if you can afford it and if it really is new and not "new" from Big Jeffrey's Alligator Park and Car Emporiu

Hyundais and Dodges are not as recommended because they are Hyundais and Dodges (Chrysler). Japanese manufacturers and Ford post-US automaker implosion have good reputations for a reason.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 30, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bouruarofuto posted:

Alright perfect, I knew there had to be a catch - just needed a few people to call me an idiot before erasing the fantasy from my mind.

Dang, and I had some waterfront property in Florida I wanted to offer you to go with your awesome old Jag. :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Mazda 6 looks about the same general size as the Camry/Accord I used to drive. I'm much happier with the smaller Mazda 3, but I wanted a smaller car. They are cheaper because the Toyota/Honda tax are still in full effect even though they don't get you as much as they used to.

A lot of people around here say Mazdas have rust problems, I haven't seen it and Maryland loves to dump salt on nearly no snow at all, but full disclosure I guess.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ToxicFrog posted:

f I'm going to be hitting Nissan dealerships anyways to look at the Leaf, is there any reason I shouldn't also be checking out the Nissan Versa? Is the Mazda 3 just better?

It's underpowered, cramped, and just really you don't want one. You can get a gently used Mazda 3 for the same price as a new Versa anyway.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

You shouldn't, that's really shady poo poo and if they pull that up front what do you think that says about how scrupulous they are regarding the car itself and any warranty they may claim comes with it?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Looking at 24k/yr for just work. That drive is a few miles to the interstate then 40ish of low traffic highway. Also should mention I live in an area that get winter--Idaho.

I'm not set on diesel either. Just the first stop on my trip.

To be honest, for driving like that a hybrid won't do much for you. Hybrids do best in stop and go city/congested type driving where they can reclaim a lot of energy braking, at mostly highway type driving it's a wash and you're not taking advantage of what you paid a lot more for. I would really reconsider the notion that you need to get a hybrid or diesel vehicle unless it's a personal reasons kind of thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

There's just a lot of Ford Focuses out there and you can get them for well under sticker.

They are cheaper but not bad or anything. I'm in the Mazda 3 camp though, could not be happier with mine and you will be getting the even better skyactiv version with more doo-dads.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Conservatives hate Priuses?

Well that makes no sense at all so I guess it make sense.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

3. I have an awful 2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara with a hosed up driver-side door (it got bent all the way backwards and is all crumpled and warped and stuff), peeling paint, bad catalytic converter, hosed up steering and probably a ton more wrong with it that I don't know about. Is it even worth trading in or should I just push it into the ocean donate it to one of those car charities?

Thanks in advance :)

I found a dealer chain running a "cash for clunkers" knockoff promo and managed to get $1500 out of a barely functioning 1994 Camry. It was probably actually worth that as a private sale, but this was easier. See if anyone is doing something like that around you if you don't want to gently caress with craigslist. But you would do better selling it privately, even to a guy who plans to just flip it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Belial42 posted:

My 2000 Pontiac Grand Am died a tragic death and I'm in need of a replacement. I have a good friend who's family is selling dear, departed Grandma's 2007 Toyota Corolla with 10500 miles for $7000.

I know Toyota's are considered very reiable, but are there any reasons to NOT go for this car? Are there any issues that could come up from the car not being used often?

Unless grandma had a penchant for ramming it into things or driving it into the lake, that's a hell of a deal.

In other words, do you trust them enough to believe it was never damaged?

e: at that price you could reasonably consider flipping it for more money if that wouldn't piss off your friend.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I need advice on really basic stuff, like budget. I don't know from cars.

Budget: $7K - $10K, but see below.
Body Style: Car, not SUV or minivan. Otherwise unimportant. Automatic transmission.
How will you be using the car?: Commute no more than 40 miles/day to community college or BART station.
aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Safety, reliability.

Wall of text:

We have two twenty-somethings in the household, neither with budgets of their own yet. We need a third car, which the parents will be buying. We live in Silicon Valley. I want to spend enough to get a safe, reliable car with automatic transmission (neither kid drives stick) that can be used to commute a maximum of 40 miles a day on the interstate. I have no idea what a prudent budget is -- $7K to 10K? Any car I pick will be taken to a trusted mechanic for a check-up, because (see header) I know nothing about cars. Does that mean I should buy re-warrantied cars from a car dealer?

My husband's and my habit is to pay cash for new, then drive the car until the annual cost of repairs gets ridiculous; my husband's commuter is a 2000 Audi A4, to give you some idea. (It'll have to get replaced this year.) For the kids, we'll be buying used and hoping to get at least 5 years' use with the usual mid-car-life costs: brakes and so on, but not dead transmissions and burned-out engines.

Newest/lowest miles Prius you can find. I imagine prices are inflated in SF though, so maybe look further out. They're rock solid and safe, and even though interstate driving isn't their best use case, your kid is driving it, so you probably want something slow as hell anyway.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah you're all over the loving map and with your budget you have a lot of options but no focus.

Also FWD is absolutely perfectly fine in snow since that seems to be a concern, I actually have no earthly idea why you would ask for a RWD if snow is a concern either, as they are the worst if you don't know what you're doing. Narrow down the size you want and get back to us. You're ranging from big stupid american cars that are only good at going fast in straight lines to AWD japanese wagon/small SUVs to cheap compacts in that same class to a loving Dart (don't).

None of those may even be what you really want. I am assuming you have no snow experience? Do not assume you need AWD or 4wd. You don't. And they often result in inexperienced drivers landing in a ditch. RWD is for fun, FWD is practical, AWD has its uses but I don't think you're there.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mazda 3 hatches.

If you're looking at the Focus Mazda 3s are nicer cars, but will run you a bit more as well. I know they have a trim level that will tick all your stereo boxes, mine is 5 years old and does all that, just without bluetooth, and it's only the mid-tier trim.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Can you really even make enough off being a gypsy cab to make it worthwhile anymore?

I thought lyft/uber was just like slugging around DC but you have to pay.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Leperflesh posted:

Buy the one with the best passenger legroom, trunk space, cheaper tires, longer times between fillups, reliability, and resale value.

Without looking it up, my guess is the Prius wins on most of those items.

Do you really make as much money doing Uber compared to, say, delivering pizza or getting a job as a courier or some other constantly-driving job like that?

Also as the owner of a 09 Mazda 3 doing almost entirely city driving do not expect to get anywhere close to the 25 mpg the guy in question posted. I'm closer to like 17. Also it doesn't really fit normal sized humans in the back, which I imagine is important for being a hack cab.

It's perfect for me, but that guy should absolutely get a prius.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, the Yaris is pretty underpowered and not that good on space for a compact (also toyota tax). The Fit and Mazda 3 hatches are great cars and you'll probably get better value out of a Mazda unless you're planning on reselling in the relatively near future. There's also always the Focus but I feel like they're a bit smaller on the inside.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BlindSite posted:

Does anyone know of anything to watch out for (outside the usual any used car checks) with the automatic bk series Mazda 3 sp23s most of the ones I can find from the 06-08 date range have done just under or around 100,000 kms. I'm looking for ones that have good service history but just thought I'd see if there were any gremlins with these.

It has been said that they have rust issues, and seeing as you're using moon miles you're probably in a snowy area, just make sure whoever you have look at it checks for that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Throatwarbler posted:

When did Ford every have a 7 year warranty on anything?

VW does do a 10 year/100k powertrain warranty on the Toureg. I seem to recall it being transferable but I don't know because The VW website is about as useful as their cars.

I knew someone with a Toureg, it was pretty much a dumpster fire, so that makes sense.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

unterdude posted:

Proposed Budget: up to ~15k
New or Used: used, looking to buy from a dealer in SoCal
Body Style: coupe
How will you be using the car?: daily driver, only a ~20mi commute there and back
What aspects are most important to you?: Looking for a fun to drive car that looks nice, 2nd car for me.

Thanks

Congratulations on your Miata.

e: Perhaps that's overly reductive, but yeah it ticks all of your wants and you can get a very nice one for <$15k. Go drive one and see if you like it. Others can probably point you toward american options if that's your thing.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 6, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nocturtle posted:

Can people recommend a specific reliable compact car model? The Ford Focus seems cheaper than the Mazda3, but I'm really just scanning online "best compact car" lists and wishing Long Island had better transit.

You want to unload the car in 2 years and don't seem to give a poo poo how it drives; just go with the Ford. The Mazda is better and more fun to drive, but that's not your focus (pun not intended).

Does your employer have fleet vehicles? Mine does and they are Fords, which seems to be common, maybe you can get a discount through your employer or something, can't hurt to ask. I also get a discount and jumped up in line if I go to the shop my company uses.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Versas are woefully, tragically underpowered and feel pretty cheap inside to me. For not a hell of a lot more you can get a new Focus/Fiesta if new is now your target. Maybe a Mazda 2 if you're ok with how small it is, but it's also pretty underpowered, but you hate driving, so really any of those are probably fine. The Prius recommendation is probably still the best though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

I need a car, but only for the next 2.5-3 months and was wondering if anyone has suggestions. I looked at short term leases, but I only found websites to take over someone else's lease, which is fine, but the leases had 9-12 months remaining, so they were not ideal. I also looked at rental car companies, but I live in an urban area and need the car registered and insured under my name in order to get parking. I've also reached out to some friends and family so something might pop up there.

I'm not opposed to buying and then selling the car after the job ends, and presumably taking a loss of up to $1,000, but that may be over complicating things and might mean I get a less reliable car. I have $5,000 in cash to spend, again if I can get my money back out of it, and I have good credit so I could presumably get financing if that made sense.

I also need this thing on the road 7 days from now. I need it to be reliable. I won't have time to deal with breakdowns or other issues.

Proposed Budget: $5,000 or $500 per month
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Any, better on gas preferred.
How will you be using the car?: Probably average driving 50 miles per day, 7 days per week over the next 3 months.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Nope
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, gas mileage.

For that amount of time you could very easily buy an oldish Honda/Toyota whatever and resell it for the same or better/a little bit less cash, for not a ton of effort for 5 grand. If the effort isn't a problem, try to do exactly that. Something stupid common that holds its value like crazy very reliably is what you want if you can't get away with renting or a very short term lease.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Weirdly specific question, but what's the best way to quickly and painlessly unload a 2005 Toyota Sienna converted to be a wheelchair van without getting hosed over and what should it fetch? It has the hydrolic junk that lowers it and the auto-deploying ramp stuff. 115k miles, well maintained, lived indoors. We no longer need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don't take out a 72 month or a 60 month loan on a used car.

Sometimes you gotta, but don't for the love of crap plan to pay it off for that long. I have one that I'm on track to be done with in 24. If you have poo poo credit you have poo poo credit.