Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrot Eel
Jan 22, 2002

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
My 02 Honda Accord that I bought used back in May 04 has finally hit the point of diminishing returns at 155k miles and repairs have gotten frequent enough to trade up. I'm looking for any direction on cars I should be looking at as well as recommendations for a good dealer in Austin, TX. I don't need anything immediately, but I'd like to buy sometime before the end of the year.

Price range: around $22k max, preferably around 19k (I plan to pay around $8-10k of that in cash, if that matters)
Format: 4-door sedan, mid-size, around the same size as the 02 Accord. I can sacrifice backseat and cargo room, but prefer a roomy driver seat as I'm thick-legged and 6' tall.
New or Used?: Doesn't matter, but I prefer longevity (hoping to drive it for 6-8 years with little to no problems), so leaning toward new as used prices seem inflated at the moment.
Gas mileage: Another important factor. Would like something better than the 21/28 I have now as I commute a total of 35 miles a day.
Purpose: generally single passenger daily commute. Sometimes with a passenger, but very rarely anyone in the backseat.

I've just started looking and haven't been keeping up with the industry so I'm completely ignorant of what's what. I've started off looking at Hondas and Mazdas.

I love my 02 Honda Accord, so I thought the new Accord was a no-brainer, but they seem to have turned into overpriced, oversized grandparent cars over the past 10 years. They're much bigger than what I have.

Just based on initial research, the Mazda3 is really appealing due to the mpg/features/price, but the driver seat might be too cramped for me. I'll just have to start test driving. Waiting to see what happens with the 2013 Mazda3. Mazda6 might be ok, but mpg is unimpressive and the length is a lot longer than my Accord.

Thanks in advance for any info, I'm starting with nothing here, so anything helps.

Scrot Eel fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrot Eel
Jan 22, 2002

I don't see to many suggestions for Hyundai in this thread. Is there a general consensus against their cars for some reason?

I was thinking about test driving a Sonata and an Elantra soon, so just wondering.

Scrot Eel
Jan 22, 2002

GroovinPickle posted:

How does one go about finding the true invoice price on a car, and what's a reasonable offer above that?

We're shopping for a Lexus IS 350. autos.aol.com puts the invoice at $37,500 on a car with an MSRP of $40,300. Sound about right?

Go to edmunds.com, punch in your car and options and it'll give you the market price for your area. Try to shoot just below that.