Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright looking to buy a new-to-me car. We will be trading in our 2007 Honda CR-V mainly because it doesn't have enough stowage, it can't tow what we want, is underpowered, and is quite frankly a bore to drive.

Proposed Budget: 30,000 or less. Ideally 25,000
New or Used:User
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) 4-door SUV
How will you be using the car?: We are moving this summer from Texas to Massachusetts. We want to tow our 2006 Honda Accord behind us so we aren't both driving. We don't normally travel with a lot of people. However, we take routine trips with our three dogs (all under 20 pounds), and when you add up our luggage plus all their stuff...it's a lot. Other than that, it will mainly be a daily driver of less than 50 miles a day.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?)rearview camera, bluetooth phone, aux input for the iphone would all be plusses. A winter package (heated seats, side mirrors) would be nice also.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of maintenance, MPG

My wife is looking towards a Highlander in either the V6 or Hybrid. Others I've come across could maybe be the Grand Cherokee (though it seems there isn't as much stowage as others), and Dodge Durango.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why don't you sell the CR-V right before you leave and drive the Accord up? nm is right; don't buy a car for a one-time occurrence. If you really don't want to drive two cars, shipping one will cost you about seven hundred bucks, probably.

I was thinking that-but me, the wife, and three dogs plus stuff that won't go in household goods (guns, jewelry, luggage to get there) just takes up way too much room for my accord.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Definitely noted on the Highlander- I asked the question in AI and someone said it wouldn't be a problem to tow it, but then I asked here and started doing some research and...yeah.

Also, did some more research and if we do go with a highlander, it won't be the hybrid. Seeing the cost difference between that and a V6 surprised me quite a bit, especially when you look at how long you'd have to drive it in order to make up for the cost difference.

I am surprised to hear someone mention bad gas mileage, as the Toyota forums are saying the difference is negligible between the 4cyl and the V6. Though this will probably change, one thing we might consider doing is just shipping my car there, or selling it prior to leaving (it's an 06 accord which is paid off, and I could just get something similar up there).

So doing some more research and figuring things out, it looks like I need to edit my original wants/needs (good thing it's only our second day looking):

New or Used:Used
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) 4-door SUV
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver through the city of less than 50 miles per day. Probably twice-three times a year expect a trip from Boston to North Carolina where we need lots of storage for the two of us and our three dogs (small dogs, all less than 20 pounds each). We will want something comfortable in the snow, since we're moving up to the Northeast. I know tires play a large part in this as well.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?)Definitely looking for a rearview camera, sunroof, and bluetooth/iphone input would be a plus.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of maintenance, MPG, cargo space (needs to be more than a CR-V)

Right now we're looking at the Highlander V6, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the Ford Explorer. Thinking the Jeep doesn't make too much sense because we won't use the off-roading features and it's cargo size is onpar with the CR-V.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

IRQ posted:

Have you driven a Highlander? There's not much more room than an Accord, if any. I borrowed both for a few months over the years and it's really just a jacked up sedan.

And really, yappy rat dogs don't take any space that a CUV would help with. More cubic feet doesn't really matter for them, only lateral space, unless you plan on playing dog tetris.

And 99.999_% of Jeep Cherokees (and all SUVs) are only driven offroad to the extent that sometimes you have to park on the grass/gravel when you go to a concert or picnic.

Go test drive some stuff, you seem to be working off numbers online that aren't getting you the whole truth.

My wife had one a while back, but it was an 04 or 05 model. The dogs need some space. Two boston terriers that are 20 pounds a piece and a 10 pound mutt. They're good with going in the back seat though, so I agree with lateral space for em. We usually stash extra poo poo on the bottom area of the backseat.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Uncle Jam posted:

Towing a big sedan through the Appalachians with a V6 Highlander is going to be way more inconvenient and bad than doing something like stashing all 3 dogs in the front passenger seat. Just ship the car.

Oh I'm way past the point of thinking of towing with a highlander now. I realized that was a bad idea.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Kinda toying around the idea of maybe selling my Accord and just buying something when I get to New England. It's paid off and I can easily drive it into the ground, but gently caress is it ever boring. It's an 07 Accord Sedan EX-L. Just trying to see what you guys would suggest based on the following:

Proposed Budget: 12,000
Body Style: I'm game for 2-door or 4-door. Most times we go out, it's just my wife and I. If we needed to cart around people, we'd take her SUV. I've driven hatchbacks before and didn't mind them.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver through the city of less than 50 miles per day.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Main thing is ability to hook up my iphone to charge/play music
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of maintenance, MPG.

I'd like something that is a bit more fun to drive than what I currently own. I'm not opposed to driving a stick, either. I tend to own cars for quite a few years, so reliability it important. As much as I'd love to buy a used BMW, I don't know how I'd afford the maintenance on it.

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 25, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Throatwarbler posted:

Miata or RX8 depending on how much fuel economy you are willing to give up for fun.

The idea of a RWD as a daily driver in a place that gets snow seems like a bad idea to me, no? I know snow tires and all that, but I guess I just haven't had any experience with it to feel comfortable (yes I know a BMW would be RWD).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Definitely noted on the Highlander- I asked the question in AI and someone said it wouldn't be a problem to tow it, but then I asked here and started doing some research and...yeah.

Also, did some more research and if we do go with a highlander, it won't be the hybrid. Seeing the cost difference between that and a V6 surprised me quite a bit, especially when you look at how long you'd have to drive it in order to make up for the cost difference.

I am surprised to hear someone mention bad gas mileage, as the Toyota forums are saying the difference is negligible between the 4cyl and the V6. Though this will probably change, one thing we might consider doing is just shipping my car there, or selling it prior to leaving (it's an 06 accord which is paid off, and I could just get something similar up there).

So doing some more research and figuring things out, it looks like I need to edit my original wants/needs (good thing it's only our second day looking):

How will you be using the car?: Daily driver through the city of less than 50 miles per day. Probably twice-three times a year expect a trip from Boston to North Carolina where we need lots of storage for the two of us and our three dogs (small dogs, all less than 20 pounds each). We will want something comfortable in the snow, since we're moving up to the Northeast. I know tires play a large part in this as well.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?)Definitely looking for a rearview camera, sunroof, and bluetooth/iphone input would be a plus.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of maintenance, MPG, cargo space (needs to be more than a CR-V)

Right now we're looking at the Highlander V6, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the Ford Explorer. Thinking the Jeep doesn't make too much sense because we won't use the off-roading features and it's cargo size is onpar with the CR-V.

Quoting to update. We went and test drove a 2011 Highlander Limited and a 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo today.

My wife really liked the Highlander.

Things she liked:

Visibility-she said she really didn't have any blind spots
power seat (her CR-V is a manual seat and she likes all the different ways to make her seat position that much better with up/down, etc.)
rearview camera
handsfree phone
How much room the 2nd row seats have. The CR-V seats are fairly cramped in the front and the back.

Things she didn't like:
It was almost *too* tech saavy if that makes sense. Nothing was automatically intuitive with the electronics and she found herself looking around for a while on how to change a/c modes, etc.
I didn't think it really had THAT much more cargo space than the CR-V. She disagrees.

For the Jeep:
She didn't like the blindspots. It definitely felt more claustrophobic than the highlander, if that makes sense.

So, the Jeep is out. Some cars we are considering and will drive next time is the Ford Edge, the Explorer, maybe the expedition, and the GMC Acadia. Thoughts?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Just an update and looking for more info...still got a while to buy as we'll probably just sell the CR-V once we get up to where we're going, but anyways...

We test drove a bunch of stuff lately. GMC Acadia, Chevy Transverse, Buick Enclave, Toyota Highlander, Acura MDX, and the Ford Explorer.

Ford Explorer is the wife's favorite. It's got all the gadgets she wants, plus it's a cargo room upgrade for us, so it looks like that one is winning. We're looking at anywhere from a 2011-2013 XLT or Limited (these all have heated seats, rearview camera, bluetooth hands free phone, etc.).

We're still trying to keep under 25k, but I could probably afford to go up to about 28k before taxes, etc. (I hadn't figured in tax, title, license, here in Texas prior, which is gonna be about an extra 1500-2k).

Any huge things to look out for in these years?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

skipdogg posted:

My wife has had 2 Explorers in the last few years. We leased a 2012 XLT with the common 202A package (leather, MFT, etc) about 3 years ago and put 25,000 miles on it. Mechanically it was problem free. To the best of my current knowledge the 3.5L Duratec engine and the 6Fxx transmission is a very solid drive train that will last a long time with factory recommended maintenance.

Our biggest issue was the My Ford Touch system. Everything is controlled through it and the 3.x software had some issues that really started pissing us off. It would just crash while you're driving down the road and then you can't change any of the settings on the HVAC or Radio. Sometimes turning the car on/off again would fix it, but twice I had to disconnect the battery to correct the issue. The most recent update seems to have fixed the issues, but we traded the lease in early on a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport and hot drat is that car awesome. We've only had it 6 months but we love it so much we'll probably buy it at lease end unless there's a newer version out.

I love the Ford Explorer and I only have 2 bad things to say about it.

1: The gas mileage is terrible. I never saw better than 15MPG city and 21HWY in that car. We get the same MPG or better with the twin turbo EcoBoost engine in the Sport. It's a big car and the 3.5L has to work hard around town to move that kind of mass. I personally would avoid any of the 2.0L Ecoboost Explorers. There's a reason they only sold them for a year with that power train configuration. It seemed like a good idea, but real world driving was terrible.

2: The My Ford Touch system wasn't that great in the first couple of years. I hope they've fixed the software by now, but it's a very polarizing love/hate thing. I personally like it, I have it in our both of our cars and haven't had problems. Other people hate it with a fiery passion. Make sure if you buy one the software is at the latest version. If it isn't, make the dealer do it, the upgrade process is literally "start car, stick thumbdrive in usb port, leave car running for up to 90 minutes while software updates". Let them do it on their gas not yours. The version we have is Gen2-V3.6.2

We love our Ford Explorer. It suits our needs perfectly as a family of 4 that quite a few road trips every year. My wife loves it and wouldn't even consider changing vehicles when we decided to trade the 2012 Explorer in early. I was pushing for a new Honda Odyssey Touring or a Sienna Limited, but she didn't want to drive a minivan.

Great info-Thank you! I read some of the edmunds reviews and I see plenty of the 'people either love or hate My Ford Touch'. Admittedly, we didn't play with it that much save for changing the radio station and the a/c temp, but it worked fine for the few minutes we were test driving. Might go and test drive another and have the wife really try and mess with the system, though. I am glad to know that software updates are easy enough...so you're saying you can download it yourself to a thumb drive and install them when software updates come? I'll google how to check for the latest version, but I just want to make sure if we buy one, we won't have to bring the car in for every update on our dime...

We are looking at the V6 and I figured as much about MPG. One thing though-I'm looking at a used 2WD to save some money/maintenance costs. We'll be living in New England and I plan on buying some decent all season tires at the least. If we get decent tires, will the 2wd hinder us at all? Keep in mind that we will never ever go off road.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So looking at the explorers again. Some have a tow package while others don't. What's that really consist of? If it's just the fact they put the hitch on for you, it looks like uhaul will do that for around 350, including wiring, etc. yet, it's about 1-2000 extra usually as an option I think. I noticed something about an engine oil cooler-so should I not bother installing a hitch without this?

Bottom line-how much would I be looking at spending if I bought a used one without the tow package and wanted to be able to tow a trailer? (Small uhaul trailer).

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 14, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just spitballin' some stuff here:

Proposed Budget: Let's say under $25,000.
New or Used: Either or
Body Style: 2 or 4 door. I rarely travel with anyone else. If I do, it's just my wife, and if we need to haul something big, I can take her Explorer
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to and from work, which is about 50 miles round trip, 95% highway. I like gadgets.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and mpg have always been the most important to me, but I want something that will be fun to drive now more than anything. Bonus points if I can stick a bike rack on the back or a roof rack on it for bikes, though that will be used very seldom-just want the option for it.

My whole life I've had an accord or a Civic mostly. I have an Accord which is paid off (the 4 cylinder model) and it's a great car, but drat is it boring. My wife had a Dodge Charger as a rental car and I loved the look of it and loved the whole ten minutes I got to take it for a drive, but I dunno if it would be right for me or not.

I can take stick or automatic, though I'm hesitant to go manual because I'll be in Massachusetts for the next 3 years which means 1) traffic and 2) snow.

Any suggestions?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Proposed Budget: Absolutely no more than $25k out the door
New or Used: Used (to minimize cost)
Body Style: Truck (compact to mid-size, so basically no bigger than an F150)
How will you be using the car? Mainly commuting. Truck aspect will be used for hauling minimal items here and there and putting my bike in the back of it. I don't want an SUV or wagon or anything like that-I've always wanted a truck.
What aspects are most important to you? Creature comforts, reliability, cost of ownership
Why doesn't a Prius meet your needs? Because I hate the way they look

Basically, I've always wanted a truck because I like how they ride and I like having the ability to throw poo poo in the back and not worry about it much. I'm at a point where my current car is paid off and I can trade that in towards something I really want, and a truck is winning out. I just have no idea what's a good one to go for now (Dodge, ford, chevy, toyota, etc). I had a Nissan Frontier for a little bit but didn't like the fact that it was built on a bigger frame (for the Titan, I think) and so it's turning radius loving sucked. I wouldn't mind that turning radius if I had a bigger truck like a Titan or an F150, but it was a small truck with a lovely turning radius, which I didn't like. Also, I didn't like Nissan because it was pretty minimalist in creature comforts (it was a 2010)

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 19, 2015

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nm posted:

What size of truck?
Like tacoma size, 1500, 2500, etc?

Sorry, thought i had mentioned that. Looking at either Tacoma or 1500 size.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I asked something earlier, but didn't get a decent response.

I want a small-midsize truck so I can haul my bike around in it and fit light cargo in the back of it. I don't want an SUV or a minivan or a wagon-I want a truck.

I'll be looking at used so probably earlier than 2012...what are good models to go for? I've always had a thing for the Tacoma, but I have heard they aren't made as well as they were in the past and you pay a premium for them.

Is there anything wrong with Dodge, Ford, or Chevy in the late 2000's/early 2010 models? Should I not think about the Ridgeline for any reason?

I had a 2010 Nissan Frontier, but didn't like it because it was built on a larger frame (Titan) and the turning radius sucked...that's why I'm thinking something like the Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado might better fit my needs.

Also, I would need 4WD, as just having RWD would be a bitch in the snow (New England).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

EugeneJ posted:

Dumb question since I'll probably end up getting snow tires at some point - can you normally pay a shop to change them off after the winter is through?

Where the hell do you store them? I rent and would not have room for 4 tires around my place.

A lot of places in New England offer free changing to snow tires and back if you buy them there. Town faire tire is one of them. Check the major chains in your area and you'll probably find the same.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Needing a used car:

Body Style: SUV
How will you be using the car?:Mainly going around town, hauling 2 small dogs around (less than 20 pounds, they normally hang out in the back seat)
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability is the most important thing, followed by mpg. Ideally it would have bluetooth or at a minimum iPod input
Budget: less than 15,000

Do you all have any ideas? SUV is pretty much a requirement. It will be driven in NC, so no need for AWD or anything like that, but the wife likes SUV's because she's up higher.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fun driving cars. Is it worth getting a mazdaspeed 3 over a mazda 3? Seems like way worse gas mileage.

I'm looking to change cars and am debating between the utility of a truck or the sensibility/fun driving of a hatchback manual.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright let's try this again:

Proposed Budget: less than 22,000
New or Used: used
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) 2 door or 4 door. I'd like smaller car than a fullsize one, but am open to either.
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle?
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) Work commuting for 95% of it
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Reliability, fun to drive, comfort, MPG

I'm quickly getting away from getting a truck, because the MPG really scares me off (14/19 is what I'm seeing common place for most 4WD trucks I'm interested in. I want at least 20mpg).

So I'm considering the following cars: Mazda3 or MS3, BMW 3 series, Infiniti G series. I want something that's going to be sporty enough to drive, but will perform ok with the snow and myriad of potholes I'm currently experiencing in Boston. I drive an Accord right now and that thing is beyond boring.

edit: I should add that I like to try and do my own general maintenance like oil changes/brakes/etc. If that's not possible with any of these choices, please let me know.

edit2: leaning towards this: https://usaa.zagusedcars.com/car/Infiniti-G-2011/JN1CV6AR0BM350676 as a possibility. Though I'm not sure I would necessarily need AWD if I'm buying winter tires, I suppose it couldn't hurt.

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 22, 2015

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Throwing this in here since you guys might see a lot of buying cars privately... Just looking for some advice:

Some background: My wife and I are getting a divorce. Both cars are currently in my name but I'm giving her one of them (which is paid off and I have the title for).

Here's the hard part:

Current plates are Arizona (as is the title), and we live in Massachusetts (which is ok because I'm military and AZ is my home of record). She's moving down to North Carolina.

For title transfer, what is going to have to occur?

I see on the title I can fill out the transfer of ownership and have that notarized. Can I just do that, then she can drive the car down to North Carolina and register the car in that state, getting herself new plates? It says the buyer (her) has 15 days to transfer ownership, so I'm trying to see the best way to do this.

I'm trying to think of everything here-she'll be coming off my insurance and establishing her own (with the same company if that makes things easier) policy.

What's the best way to do this? Would it be better for her to drive down there on my insurance (which she could still be on for this purpose) and then once she's down there I send her the title and let her register/get insurance in her own name?

Or should we transfer the title up in MA, get new insurance for her, then she drives down to NC (literally the next day) and gets plates/registers the car down there with title in hand?

Or something else I'm not thinking of?

She'll be towing the car behind a U-haul, so she won't physically be driving the car until she gets down south, if that alleviates anything.

edit: I can't think why it would be any different than if I was in Arizona and sold the car to a guy in NC. Per dmv.org, they would just have to:

quote:

You’ll have some additional paperwork to do when you title and register your car with the NC DMV.

To title and register the vehicle, you’ll need to go in person to your local NC DMV office. Be sure to take:

Paperwork from the seller:
The vehicle title, completed, signed, and notarized.
The Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form MVR-180), if the car is less than 10 years old.
The Damage Disclosure Statement (Form MVR-181).
Lien release, if applicable.
The bill of sale (for cars purchased from dealers).
The current registration (for cars purchased out of state).
Your own documents:
A valid NC driver’s license or ID.
Proof of car insurance.
Completed application forms (also available at the NC DMV):
Title Application (Form MVR-1).
Eligible Risk Statement for Registration and Certificate of Title (Form MVR-615). This is also referred to as Form MVR 615.
Fees and taxes, payable by cash, personal check, or money order:
Title fee: $40.
New registration and license plates: $28.
Highway use tax: 3%.

Am I wrong? I think the only thing left for question would be what would happen to the current AZ plates. I would assume I'd have to surrender those to AZ.

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 3, 2015

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking at Mazda 3's (probably the I grand touring vs the S...s seems too expensive at first look even though I really want the headlights).

Is it good to buy new vs used on these? Just wondering if they tank in resale value or if they hold value well.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nm posted:

The new one is a way better car (than the already excellent old one), so that should factor in.

Even then the 2014?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah my credit is perfect so I'll probably go that route then...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What's the best website to see what I should pay for a new 2015 mazda 3? Looking at hatchbacks, either the i touring with the technology package or the i grand touring.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ended up buying a Mazda 3 today, 2015 i Touring.

Anyways, I financed through the dealer because I hadn't gone through my bank yet, and the salesman told me I could refi, but to wait until things settle down with the paperwork, which he said wait 3-4 months.

Is there any reason to wait that long? I was figuring just get it done this week because why not? It's at 3.49% APR right now and I can get it through my bank at 2.25%.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Remy Marathe posted:

Your bank effectively buys out the loan, right? In that case the first financing institution you borrowed from at the dealership will probably get less than the minimum interest you agreed to when you signed off on the loan, so you'll be subject to a certain flat-rate charge. The question then is whether the 1.24% interest you save over the course of x months is less than that fee.

It took my wife's lender about a month and a half to get her new account together and bill her for her first payment. I had an account, balance and everything up within a week because it was through a major lender. 3-4 months to "settle"? If they can bill you, poo poo's settled, and there's no way they're going to miss out on collecting their first payment.

As a general rule you should never let a salesman explain financing to you or tell you what you can and cannot do.

Yeah I hear you, that's why I bounced it off this thread.

I figured it had something to do with how much money the dealership would get. I'll read through the fine print tomorrow and see if it says anything about that. Otherwise, there is no pre-payment penalty or anything like that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Remy Marathe posted:

Watch for the section regarding "Minimum Finance Charge" in the gray small print on the back of the loan document. It's not technically an "early repayment fee" or penalty, but it'd be effectively the same.

There's no section called minimum finance charge...I read through the whole thing and it all seems pretty legit. Any other terminology I might be missing?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bovril Delight posted:

Most lenders I've dealt with have no pre-payment penalty of any kind, so no, nothing is stopping you from refi'ing immediately, except the dealer usually loses their kickback from the finance company if you don't stay for 30/60/90 days, or whatever their agreement is.

Yeah but that's nothing for me to care about after the documents been signed right?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Proposed Budget: under 25k
New or Used: either
Body Style: Small truck or SUV
How will you be using the car?: commuting mostly, going up to the mountains for skiing (2 hour drives), hauling my bike places to ride
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Definitely want bluetooth, back up camera, and preferably blind spot sensors
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Reliability, fun to drive (meaning I want something more fun than a Prius. I like having a little get up and go when entering the freeway, etc.)

I bought a 2015 Mazda 3 hatchback, which has been fine, but the clearance in snow really sucks. It fits my skis and my bike with the back seat down and gets great mileage. So besides the clearance issues in the snow, the other problem is I bought a manual because it was more fun to drive. After having had it for 2 years driving around Boston, stick shift is starting to suck, so I'm looking at trading it in for an automatic with whatever I get.

Right now I'm between a Mazda CX-5 and a Toyota Tacoma, but am open to other cars, new or used, that might fit the bill. The rankings of cars at UsNews sucks because it seems like no vehicle I look at is great at anything. They constantly go back on themselves saying things like "The CX-5 is fun to drive and has great gas mileage, but their reliability looks like it's going to suck. Look at the CR-V for a more reliable vehicle". Then you look at the CR-V and it says that while it has ok gas mileage and is very reliable, it's not fun to drive. Maybe UsNews doesn't go back on themselves, but they definitely seem to go the route of buying a laptop, ie: Cheap, Light, Powerful...pick two.

I only have thought of a Tacoma because I've always wanted one. I had a 2010 Frontier, but I didn't like driving it because it was on the Titan chassis and was a lot bigger than I wanted and a pain in the rear end to park and maneuver, which led me back to wanting a Tacoma. Honestly, something like a Ford Ranger (I had one growing up and it was a tank) or other would be great in that size, though I'd probably get it in an extended cab. I don't see the need for a 4-door truck yet, plus the shorter bed seems useless to me. The CX-5 I'm thinking mainly because it has all the creature comforts my 3 does, but a bit bigger.

Open to any suggestions I'm not thinking of or other places to look at reviews though.

nwin fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 26, 2017

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

mariooncrack posted:

Subaru Outback or forester?

I've had an outback before-no thanks. Forester might be worth a look though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

khysanth posted:

I mean, they are essentially the same. One is taller, one is wider/longer.

What year Outback did you own?

A 2004. I just didn't like the wagon look and it felt pretty sluggish. At the time, foresters looked more like an SUV. Looking at the newer ones, that doesn't seem to be the case.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ok so back to recommending cars.

One thing I really like in my Mazda 3 is the blind spot detector.

I'm looking at Subaru foresters, Honda CR-V, and cx-5 as possible replacements.

The cx-5 definitely has blind spot detection, which is great, because there was a huge blind spot I noticed when I was in the car itself in the left rear.

The 2015 cr-v was weird. It had a blind spot camera on the right side that went on anytime I turned my right signal on, and then the driver side mirror had an extension on it to let you see the blind spot. It had a big blind spot in the same space as the cx-5, and I didn't like the mirror/camera at all.

Anyone know if they changed their technology for 2016 at all?

Regarding the forester, I haven't driven one yet, so I don't know what years might have something similar to the Mazda. However, if there's no blind spots, then I don't need the camera. I just haven't been in on yet to tell. Any thoughts? I also know that the Latest forester had eyesight, but does that also do blind spot detection?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well, all cars have blind spots. The traditional way to get rid of them as much as possible is to set your mirrors to the SAE standard. here you go: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

Don't know what your other requirements are, so I can't comment on other cars, really. I believe the package with Eyesight has LDW and blind spot monitoring. Tough to go wrong with either of your choices, the CR-V is a top seller for a reason, as is the Forester, and the CX-5 is very competent as well. If you like the way your Mazda3 drives, you'll probably like the CX-5 best.

Thanks, and you're right on the SAE standard. It's just not something I'm used to doing.

I posted my requirements about a page ago in the thread, but I like my Mazda 3, it's just a stick shift that I'm sick of driving in the city and I want something with more clearance. Reliability is a main concern of mine, with being fun to drive a close 2nd.

The cr-v wasn't as horrible a drive as I was anticipating based on reviews I had read, so that was surprising.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pain of Mind posted:

I had the exact question in this thread about the same 3 cars about 6 months ago (and I still have not bought one). I feel like I am leaning towards the 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring FWD. I like the appearance of the 2016.5 over the 2017, it is also has slightly more cargo space and better MPG, and I could not figure out any main feature differences between them. I feel like for that I either need to commit sooner while dealers still have them, or hope my car lives long enough to get them coming of a lease, which seems unlikely and I am not willing to spend money on my car. I had a coworker who had the same decision and went with a Forester because he liked the visibility of it compared to the other cars. I have not test drove a forester yet, for some reason I thought it had worse MPG, but looking at some trims just now it seems pretty comparable to the other cars, so maybe I should still consider it. The CRV seems best on paper, and maybe I will look into the 2017, but it looks like a 2/3 scale model of a 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan.

I just test drove a Forester today (2015) and loved the visibility. You can't get blind spot detection unless you go towards the new models, but there's so much visibility I feel like I don't really need it. The Mazda definitely gives you the most bang for the buck as far as features go. I'm leaning towards the Subaru at the moment.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking at some used 2017 Subaru Foresters and wondering if there is a cause for concern here.

The first has less than 1000 miles on it and here's the carfax, showing it's been transferred 4 times. Once to the dealer, then sold as a corporate car, then auctioned, and now at Subaru dealer for sale:

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=JF2SJAEC7HH407746#undefined

Any clue why this would happen? Also wondering if the factory 3 year/36k warranty would apply. It doesn't list on the Subaru dealer's website that it's certified pre-owned and Im wondering why not.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Looking at the Carfax I think there's a high chance the car was used as a loaner by Ira. See if you can pull service records, that should give you a decent idea of its status.

Yeah I went to the dealership and they think what happened was one dealer bought it from another one and then used it as a corporate car for a while.

In other news, how can I find out what my car is actually worth through trade in?

I have a 2015 Mazda 3 hatchback itouring 6-speed with 29k miles. Admittedly, i hosed up the bumper scraping it pretty badly to the point it would need total replacement which is about $8-900. Everything else about the car is completely fine in my opinion, including new tires that are less than 2000 miles old.

The dealership I just went to offered 9500 initially, and said they wouldn't go higher than 10000, saying my car was in "fair condition" not including the damage and used some site called VIN Viper. Blue book puts me at $11,400 in good condition for trade-in, and clear book estimates it at like 13-14k for some reason. One of the guys at a Mazda dealership said the car was in high demand if I ever wanted to trade it in, but I'm thinking that was just salesman talk at this point.

That Subaru is definitely exactly what I want and they said they don't negotiate on the price of their cars, so I'm just trying to see what my car is actually worth.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Rule number one: unless you're at a Scion or Saturn dealership, everyone negotiates on the price of cars.

If you plan to sell the car on CL, fix the bumper first. (I recommend my main man Dave Winters at Woburn Foreign Auto Body) I still doubt you'll get more than $12K private party, and you'll have to fix the bumper and then deal with CL people. But you can try to negotiate that trade value all day long if you want - they're going to get a certain amount of margin out of you between the car you trade in and the car you purchase, but you can cut that to the minimum if you are willing to work - and if you're willing to walk. Subaru sells like a hundred thousand Foresters a year, you don't need to buy this one.

Thanks for this...I've seen so many dealerships tout that they are 'no haggle' I was beginning to believe that was bullshit.

I sent an estimate request for your guys in Woburn, so hopefully I hear back soon. Another potential thing I was looking at was buying a bumper off ebay that says they do color matching for paint and just installing it myself.

It goes for $329 and doesn't seem too hard to install-thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Painted...GVX~OtF&vxp=mtr

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It won't match and unless you've done a cover before you're liable to do a lovely job.

I called up your place in Woburn and they said a ballpark estimate would be starting at $800 and go up from there.

At this point it seems like I should just take the guys original offer to get $10k for the car, since he told me $800 to replace the bumper.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking at new cars to replace our forester. Here’s our wants:

Price: under 27k
Type: suv (we have a kid and that’s what my wife prefers to drive)
Wants: apple CarPlay integration, good visibility, maybe something that doesn’t require an expensive windshield if it gets cracked, blind spot monitoring.

Something similar to the forester is fine. I love the visibility it offers, but I despise the CVT. I’ve heard some aren’t bad, but ours has such a delay, especially going from reverse to drive. It’s also not great from a standstill. The reason I mentioned the windshield is our Forester has eyesight, which is fine, but I don’t use any of the features. We live in Virginia where glass isn’t covered by insurance so when a rock hits the glass you get to pay for the glass plus the calibration of the cameras, so that sucks. I wouldn’t mind finding something without the smart safety stuff but it seems nearly impossible. The only safety stuff I like is blind spot monitoring and a backup camera.

We’re currently looking at Honda CR-V EX model year 2018 or 2019. It has the turbo engine and from what I’ve heard, the CVT isn’t bad in it, but we’d need to test drive to make sure. Also with the EX comes all the safety features, but I think you have to actively turn some of them on (like the one that keeps you in your lane), so that’s good at least.

Any other suggestions? We’re thinking a Mazda CX-5, but their infotainment doesn’t really amaze me...I had a Mazda 3 for a bit and using the knob on the center console to do anything was kind of annoying. The integration I’ve seen with CarPlay seems pretty lovely to.

I wouldn’t be against a used model either-I can always just throw an aftermarket CarPlay radio in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

vincentpricesboner posted:

The CR-V's current CVT is very, very good for a CVT (compared to other CVTs). Its not a must avoid like the first gen Chrysler/Nissan ones.

Is the oil dilution issue still a thing?