Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Hey, I'm toying with the idea of getting a new car. I currently have a 2005 Acura RSX Type S with 120k miles that I bought new and have enjoyed and may stick with, but I'm thinking it's time to start looking at the market for a replacement.

Proposed Budget: $17k-23k
New or Used: New, open to suggestions for recently used
Body Style: Hatchback or sedan, strong preference for 4 doors
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, fun/good handling and power, fuel economy

I've been tentatively looking at the Fiesta ST and Focus ST, and the Elantra GT seems like a cheaper but possibly still fun option. One of my big questions is about the Fiesta ST versus the Focus ST, since it seems like there's only like a ~$1k price difference in them, and the Focus offers more cargo space, more horsepower, and independent rear suspension. Is there any reason to go for the Fiesta beyond fuel economy or actively wanting a smaller car? I'm also totally open to suggestions for other makes/models, those are just the ones I've looked at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Good input, thanks, I'll look into the possibilities for a Mazdaspeed 3. I test-drove a WRX when I was buying my RSX, and I found the clutch kind of unforgiving, is that an intrinsic quality or was that just the unfamiliarity of a new/different clutch? I probably should have mentioned I'm primarily interested in a manual transmission.

edit: re the GTI, I owned a 96 Passat GLX before the RSX, and was kind of put off on VW with regards to reliability (which is why I went towards the Acura). I'm open to considering a VW again though if they're more reliable nowadays. My bigger issue than the quality of the vehicle at the time was getting competent work done on it (I took it into a dealer once and had to literally point out where the check engine light was)

het fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 2, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Throatwarbler posted:

Seems like the difference is more than that.

I was going off of IOC's recommendation of PenFed for pricing, where the ST models differ by less than 1k, and using that to negotiate.

quote:

Consider also the Civic Si and Nissan Juke NISMO FWD.
Will do, thanks!

nm posted:

I will note of the Focus ST, I've heard of some smoking deals on 2013s. Like $5k off the upper trims. One thing I would worry about on these cars is myfordtouch, which is apparently clunky and still has some bugs. I'd actually stick to lower trims to avoid it.
Yeah, I'm definitely wary of the higher trim packages for that reason, I'm suspicious that stuff like that is worth it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Searching on cars.com, a few dealerships in the area have deals on Ford Focus STs for under $20k, and there's a significant gap between those and the next-cheapest Focus STs. Anyone know what the deal is here? Is it scammy or just some kind of incentives from the manufacturer combined with wanting to move inventory at the end of the year?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

IOwnCalculus posted:

Could be a little of column A, a litte of column B. There's nothing saying they have to advertise truly accurately - the "car" may be $19.5k but they're going to basically not sell it to you unless you take $4k in bullshit dealer add-ons. Best bet is to email the dealer and ask them for an out the door price based on the car in the ad, and if it actually holds up to what they advertised, see if anyone else will beat it.
Okay, that's what I thought, I emailed them but I'll follow up with a request for an out-the-door price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Xguard86 posted:

Be prepared for them to not respond at all or just say "come on down!" and refuse to talk about anything. This was the experience my GF and I had while she was car shopping. Maybe it is different for new cars but holy poo poo how frustrating. You end up wasting days driving back forth between dealers.
I got no response in the email request for an out the door price, but went to the dealer since I wanted to test drive the car anyway. They really wanted to appraise my trade-in before giving a number but I was firm that I wouldn't really negotiate without a final price pre-trade-in, and eventually I ended up with a deal that was just under Truecar's target price. I might be able to do better if I shopped around but I really hate that whole process, so I'm happy just knowing I got a decent deal.