Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I'm about to buy my first car and have a few questions - however, here's this first:

Proposed Budget: Around $17,000
New or Used: Prefer new
Body Style: Sedan or SUV
How will you be using the car?: City driving, very rare road trips.
What aspects are most important to you? Comfort (I'm 6'4", and want QoL features that most new cars have.)
Where?: Edmonton, AB

I'm thinking about the 2012 Civic LX, but that is at the top end of what I'm willing to pay. Again, this is my first car. My income is about $3100/month, living expenses are around $2000 for everything. If I need a used car, what would you recommend?

Can you clarify how financing works? In my city, Honda, Ford, Hyundai, and Toyota have a several 0% financing deals happening right now so that seems like a good way to go, but I'm suspicious that 0% isn't the bottom line/a good idea.

If I go with a bank loan, it seems like TD Bank can't offer less than 4% financing (what I saw online). However, does that mean I can arrange bank financing and then go to a dealer to buy a car full out with "cash"? If so, there are some deals to save $2000 or $3000 for cash purchases.

I'm pretty lost with all of this despite the time I've put in researching it. There are lots of ways to go, and dealerships seem to like the confuse the issue. Thanks in advance for your input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Budget: <$7000
Used/New: Used
Body Type: No preference
Usage: City driving, heavy winter conditions, occasional highway trips. Sitting in traffic a lot on icy roads.
Important Aspects: Reliable, great handling on icy roads, comfortable and warm.

This will be my first car (and first winter driving) and I'm fairly anxious about driving so much on slippery roads. I also hate getting into a freezing car at 6am without seat warmers.

Tenacious J fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 2, 2012

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Budget: < $28k
Condition: New
Style: Any
Use: City commute in snowy Canada, occasional highway travel for long distances (up to 800km).
What's important: I need to fit comfortably (I'm 6'4"), needs to be reliable, safe, good on ice and snow, last many years (up to 10), and is an automatic.

My first thought was to get a Subaru, but the Impreza with a nice trim is close to my top budget and is a little cramped to sit in. It hits all my other criteria and happens to be very fun to drive for me (I'm coming from an old F-150). I like Ford, but hear bad things about the focus. I've also consider the Honda Fit but haven't tested it yet. An SUV would probably work as well, but would have to be a low end one to fit the budget and I'm not familiar with the current offerings.

Some wants, but not needs, are: fun to drive, doesn't look awful (Kia Soul, Ford Flex etc.), good mileage, AWD/4x4, nice tec features. Thanks.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Would the Honda Fit is better quality than Civic idea hold true for the 2015 and 2016 models?

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Proposed Budget: $30,000 or less (I think, see below)
New or Used: New
Body Style: Compact/Mid-size. 4/5-door.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, 100km commute everyday, very snowy winters living in Edmonton, Canada.
What aspects are most important to you?: Comfort, reliability, safety (especially for ice and snow), longevity, mileage, and tech features.
Things I don't care about : Looks and fun (but it does need to be a bit punchy as some highway merge lanes around me are very short).
Why not a Prius? No issue with that I suppose, but it's about money I think. See below.

Financially I'm not yet in a great place, but I'm about to start a new job that pays very well (90k/yr). Until now I've basically been living on minimum wage and have some significant debts. I drive a 15yo F-150 that destroys gas and is mechanically dangerous as hell. I've managed to survive a couple winters so far but I think I've been lucky. New job requires about 100km of highway driving everyday. I think that with all the extra driving I need something reliable and safe, as well as good on gas. I'm thinking buying new is ok and I like the peace of mind. However, I don't have any room on my LoC or CC, or any savings so I'm hesitating about fully financing anything. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Are Prius's so highly recommended because they have the lowest cost of ownership or something?

What about a Prius C? I'm still hanging on to the idea of buying new because I think I'll have an easier time financing through a dealership than a bank right now. And I don't mind paying a bit more for the enjoyment of a new car. But also maybe I'm just dumb with money.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Im looking for a new car for under $30k. Ford is having such a good sale this month too: anything financed for 0% over 84 months + full set of winter tires mounted on rims with sensors + $2000 rebate. I'm tempted to grab the 2017 Fusion SE ecoboost for $29k. This will be for daily commuting 100+km, in Edmonton, AB (heavy snow, ice, and salt).

Any warning or endorsements for this? Get a Prius instead even despite the interest rate? Different Ford model? Honda Fit? Thanks.

Tenacious J fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 25, 2016

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I posted yesterday about getting a 2017 Ford Fusion SE, EcoBoost for a good price. The dealership suggested I might like the Focus more (and I do think it's much more fun to drive), and it's cheaper. Is there anything standing out about it that is bad with the 2016 Focus SE, 2.0L I4 GDI engine (6-speed automatic) model? Thanks.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Crap, but thank you for that. Is the Fusion still ok - With the 1.5L GDTI ecoboost engine?

...how about the Fiesta?

Edit: are you sure the problems weren't fixed in 2013+?

Tenacious J fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 27, 2016

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Winter tires for the winter, stock tires for the summer. Don't use winter tires in the summer.

I still wouldn't buy a Ford DCT. If you take VW DSG as an example, it is far more expensive to service and requires more frequent service intervals. There's very little point other than packaging and a very slight increase in fuel economy (plus Ford getting to brag about their High Tech Transmissions etc).

It's been hard for me to find info on this but it appears the 1.0L ecoboost 6-speed automatic is a conventional automatic, not DCT (PowerShift). Can anyone confirm that? And if it is, it looks like the car would be fine otherwise?

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Ok thank you.

I made the blunder of already getting pre-approved at ford for the 0% interest over 84 months deal, before finding out about the transmission stuff. So now I'm trying to figure out if the Fiesta ecoboost is the Best Buy (or Fusion), or cut my losses and get an Asian car that has an interest rate.

The Fiesta is a fine car for me, just I have minor concerns about winter and don't think it looks all that good.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

It was a hard credit-check, I believe. Don't want too many of those.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I don't mean to spam this thread, but I'm getting decision fatigue on this matter. I need a new vehicle asap, but nothing so far really feels right. Under $28k, daily driving 100km, and Canadian winters. Honda Civic/Fit maybe, but there are no current incentives compared to makes like Ford, or to a lesser extent, Kia and Hyundai. Toyota has a small incentive this month too, I suppose. Any suggestions appreciated, even if only to put an end to my posting. Thanks.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

For what's it's worth, I decided against the Mazda 3 because it has horrible visibility out the entire passenger side of the car when you're driving, including forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Ammanas posted:

Can you explain more please? Im trying to figure this out

I meant that when I was in the driver's seat, the field of vision looking forward, sideways, and backwards out from the other side of the vehicle was very narrow. The side view mirror being on the door didn't help, and it seemed Iike it has a smaller windshield or something, and a support column in exactly the wrong place. When I commented about it, the sales person said she''d been hearing that lately a lot. It's certainly still drivable, but I wouldn't drive it and the IMO the problem is quite noticeable.