Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I am in the midwest and like everyone else buying "cars" these days I'm looking at CUVs. We will be upgrading from a 2014 Kia Soul that we have really liked. Reasons for upgrading are lack of cargo space (we'd like to take 2-3 large suitcases and a stroller in the cargo area) and inadequate performance in snow (we moved from Arizona to Minnesota). My wife would like AWD, and I am not going to fight it even though I believe snow tires will be more helpful (we'll probably get those too).

So far I am considering the new Toyota Rav4 (maybe the hybrid?) and Subaru Forester. My concern is that each has been "completely redesigned" for this 2019, which makes me concerned about reliability issues vs. say the last model of a previous generation (like the 2019 CR-V). Does the Subaru really have better AWD than the other brands in this price range/category?

Proposed Budget: ~$30k would be nice, up to $35k if needed
New or Used: Probably new, I don't have the confidence to buy used private party
Body Style: small SUV or wagon, but our garage is small and can't fit a car over ~180" long, ~72" wide
How will you be using the car? No commuting, common weekend 1.5 hr trips, occasional camping, commonly carrying 1 and sometimes 2 bicycles (prefer a hitch rack)
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Yes, but basically the fancy new safety features and Apple CarPlay would be enough. Heated seats would be a major bonus, but I prefer cloth to leather.
What aspects are most important to you? Cargo capacity (while fitting in the garage), handling in snow, reliability, MPG

Sobriquet fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU