Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

Josh Wow posted:

Well my transmission ripped me a new rear end in a top hat last night at 3am. Luckily this happened when it did cause I was about to drop $500+ on having my timing belts and water pumped replaced. Problem is how the gently caress do I buy a new car?

I'm loving poor, I only want something that's in the $3000-4000 range and that means getting an older car. Apparently banks won't give you a loan for a car that's more than 7 years old, which is what I'm looking at. So yea, how do you get a loan in this situation?

https://www.penfed.org is how you handle this situation.

At one point in time they were prepared to loan me $18k to buy an '87 turbo t regal. I'm sure they can throw you a few bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
Here's how penfed worked for me.

1) Create a checking account with them so you can enter the military families program.
2) Apply for an auto loan through their online methods, a customer service person will call you.
3) Customer service called and told the amount that I was pre-approved for. I told her that I didn't plan on spending more than $25,000, so they went with that number.
4) A "loan account" or something along those lines appeared in my online banking with penfed, with a ceiling of $25k.
5) The next day I received 3 blank checks that were tied to my "loan account". Once these were in my hand, I went car shopping.
6) Found a car listed for $16,500, haggled down to $13,700 out the door. Wrote a check for $13,700 and drove off.
7) Faxed a copy of the bill of sale to penfed, the difference between the 13,700 and 25,000 disappeared.
8) A month later I started making payments towards the $13,700 I owed.

Keep in mind this was 2006ish, so money was a little bit easier to get at that point. If I remember correctly, the originally approved me for a $70k used auto loan at 4.5%, so the process may be a bit more strict now that money isn't so easy to acquire.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
Catera by chance? AVOID!