Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I currently drive a 2002 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4L. It has been a great truck when I moved 4 times in 2 years, but now it's outlived it's usefulness. Specifically, all I do is commute now, and the 12 mpg is killing me - I spend about $170/month on gas @ $3 a gallon. Secondly, I live downtown and driving it (~50 ft turning radius) is a pain. It is 100% paid off, and has 90k miles on it and will need it's interval service shortly.

I've settled on a Subaru Legacy for my next car. It's AWD (I live in the midwest,) has a great all weather package, and is fuel efficient. Secondly, I test drove it and it felt the best overall. Finally, the manual is 19/27 and auto is 23/31, essentially halving my fuel costs immediately.

I only want the 2010+ redesign for the larger size. The rental returns are starting to come in (our Toyota Camry was one and we sold it at 286k miles) and they have a better than factory warranty (6 year/100,000 mile powertrain from date of purchase, IIRC.)

I estimate I can get $7500 for my F-150 at trade in. I am weary of getting a rental return, but the warranty provides good peace of mind. What is really worrisome is the fact that 2010 was the redesign year, and I was raised to never buy the first model of anything. However, if I don't get a 2010 it means I would have to buy brand new, which is something I've never done before. Also, I could get 1.9% financing which is nice, so 22k total - 7500 trade in - 8000 down payment = 6500 or $214/month with a whopping total interest paid of $222 over 36 months. However with the fuel savings (again at $3/gallon) would make this like $150/month. I am up for any kind of adjustment of these numbers, as well.

Does this make sense financially or ...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I've been trying to sell my car. Get some pretty ridiculous offers, but this one has got me all :arghfist::eng99:

Yes, my Evo is the best car you could get for your situation. Yes I should let you lowball me 35% and be complicit in letting you put your life savings into a car.

I literally laughed out loud at that. Before I even read your response, I was thinking the same thing. Hold out, and good luck!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Proposed Budget: Approximately $25k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Truck 4x4, prefer a crew cab for the longer bed. I am in a catch-22 because I like lower to the ground, but want 4x4 which makes them all taller.
How will you be using the car?:Commuting, hauling motorcycles in the truck bed to various racetracks
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, MPG

What's the latest and greatest amongst the big 3 Pickup Trucks, circa 2011ish?

Enterprise is currently giving me a Ram 1500 Big Horn edition which I actually really like, but it's priced out of my range. Furthermore, it's really tall for loading/unloading motorcycles. I test drove a few F-150s, they were surprisingly not as as nice as expected, but still good.

http://www.reedford.com/used/details/1FTFW1EF3BFD27780/2011_ford_f_150_xl_Oklahoma_City__OKC

This is one of the ones I test drove, they mislabeled it - it's an XLT trim. I really liked it except it has high miles, had a shudder at 55 mph, and a belt was squeaking. Obviously it will need it's 90k service, but with the exception of high miles, it's nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of a price adjustment.

I test drove a 2013 Chevy 1500, was not impressed, but it was a base model.

How's the planned reliability for the late model trucks? Any ones to specifically avoid or look at? Why don't they make Crew Cabs anymore? This longer cab and shorter bed is the exact opposite of what I need in a truck. I am coming from an 02 F-150 4x4 which was so small compared to the giant behemoths of trucks they sell today, and they've made a lot of overall improvements in the 13 years of truck design.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I should have mentioned that. I still need a back seat to put groceries/work equipment, etc.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

MrKatharsis posted:

Care to explain why someone in Oklahoma City needs 4wd?

Well, someone might want 4WD in OKC because 1) they need it for work 2) they prefer 4WD when dealing with inclement weather 3) they like the look 4) they need the additional clearance a lifted truck provides 5) they travel on non paved roads 6) prefer it with towing 7) they move frequently and want a vehicle that's capable no matter where they go 8) future proofing any of the above

etc

But I don't understand why you're asking me this because I don't live in Oklahoma City.