Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynotony
Apr 13, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Mandalay posted:

I walked into a Toyota dealer last week in Orange County and tried to deal. No dice, business seems alright over there.

My buddy leased a 2010 for $200/mo for 3 years last month. He drives over 400mi/mo for his job, and gets 50c/mi. Since gas is so cheap for him, he basically gets a free car.

Today, the same car costs $500/mo to lease for three years, and that makes very little sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynotony
Apr 13, 2003

Mandalay posted:

Leases are full of financial manipulation. The only way that I see this making sense is if he paid a fair amount down.

He paid $0 down. This was when Toyota was having its publicity problem. Like I said the same exact lease is closer to $500/mo today, which doesn't make any sense considering a three year old Prius still goes for mid to high teens.

ynotony
Apr 13, 2003

Faceless Clock posted:

Not really. This isn't an issue I had thought about before I saw that graph.

If you thought about it, it would be obvious. The problem is people don't think about it, even when gas was $5/gallon.

If I asked you objectively which was a more significant change: an increase from 15 to 25 units of anything or an increase from 25 to 35 units of anything, you'd say 15 to 25 because of larger percentage change. You probably wouldn't need more than a second or two.

ynotony
Apr 13, 2003

I have an idiot check question about the whole finance/cash debate for a car. I understand that if you can earn a higher rate of return than the interest level that you should consider financing. This logic makes sense if all things are equal, and you are buying the same car from the same dealer.

But I'm primarily looking at private sale used cars in the ~$30k range, where from a dealer (where I might consider financing) the price would immediately be $3k more. This means buying from a dealer and financing would need to beat the interest rate + $3k at the end of 3 years which seems pretty tough.

Is there something I'm missing? Any other downsides to handing over $30k in cash? I'm specifically looking at ~3 year old BMWs, and my last 3 cars have all been 7-10 year old private party BMWs so I'm quite comfortable with the maintenance and repairs costs for these things. Also after I sell my current car, it would really be closer to an $18k purchase.

I'm leaning towards going private party route and paying with cash because it is the cheapest, but I've never spent over $15k on a car before this.

ynotony
Apr 13, 2003

Yea looking for an 09+ 335i to replace my ZHP 330i. I'm debt free and the $18k hit would be rebuilt in a few months. Right now it is just sitting in a savings account doing nothing while my 401k, IRA, and liquid savings/investments get plenty of attention. Now the wait to find the right car begins... it took 6 months of waiting to find my ZHP!