Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Hey so I've been out of cars for a while and bought a Mazda3 with an automatic transmission that I have grown to hate!

Proposed Budget: 13k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Wagon, Hatchback, Sedan, just no SUV or Cute-Ute/Crossover
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, occasional trip and possible dirt bike/broken Italian motorcycle hauler like once every other month
What aspects are most important to you?: Manual transmission, ability to tow < 1,500 lbs.

I lived in Europe for about a year and some change and just short of a year ago I came back to the US and had to buy a car for a job, pronto. I took a deal on a '14 automatic Mazda3 and realized over the last half year that I really dislike the car. I have been driving manual cars for almost 15 years and thought I could get away with an auto, but no dice. Also, the Mazda3 isn't allowed to tow poo poo in the US thanks to everyone pushing useless SUV sales, so that's 0 out of 2 things I want it to be able to do.

I don't like Cute-Ute SUVs like the Rav4 and CRV, actual SUVs are too big for what I'm looking for and trucks are useless for the very few times I'll have to actually tow stuff, so I'm looking for any ideas you folks may have on a car that can check those two boxes. I thought about an earlier Subaru Forester (the newest generation Foresters are too big and manuals are hard to come by) and the VW Jetta Sportwagen (VW folks are basically saying "prepare for thousands in repairs at your price range"). I haven't found a Ford, Chevrolet or Fiat/Chrysler product that is allowed to tow that isn't also a huge body-on-frame abomination that weighs 3 tons and is 21 feet long. Anyone have any other ideas? I'd be willing to consider a mild crossover even, as long as it stays heavy on the "car" side and not full-blown "SUV" side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

powderific posted:

Impreza's and Crosstreks are both rated to tow stuff, not sure what the weight limits are but I'd think a motorcycle hauler under 1500lbs would be OK. The Crosstrek is rated higher, I think, but it's the same car with a lift, body cladding, and slightly bigger brake/rear chassis. You could also just buy a hitch for the Mazda3 and tow anyway.

What's kind of funny is that I'm hearing sharply divided responses from two different groups on this - half say that if your car doesn't specify that it is capable of towing in your owner's manual and you get into an accident, the insurance company will not cover anything. The other half say that's completely wrong, else businesses like Uhaul wouldn't offer hitches and wiring kits for those cars. It's bizarre but I don't want to tempt fate as I live in an area with notoriously bad drivers that often times don't carry insurance themselves, and the last thing I want to do is give my insurance company an "out" if some drunk guy plasters the side of my car while I'm dragging back 200 lbs of mulch in a utility trailer.

The Crosstrek is a great suggestion though, thanks!