Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, you guys know about cars right? I'm not sure exactly where or how I should ask this, so let me know if I need to shift to another thread or something.

After 17 years of driving where I scratched one car once, I managed to wreck my 2009 Dodge Caliber SXT on Friday. I still haven't heard back from anyone, so I am holding out hope that the shop is trying to work some magic math to keep the insurance from totaling it.

If it does get totaled, I'm still on the hook for approximately $1500 to $4000 depending because I am having a very hard time pinning down the value of the thing because I didn't think I would ever need GAP insurance.

Anyway, at the moment I have about ~$1000 - ~$1200 at the moment.

I figure my options are:

- Down payment on a used car and just eat the rest of the old loan over the next year or two.

or

- Just outright buy a car for about that price.

I'm not looking for anything in particular at the moment, just transportation that can get me to and from work regularly without trouble (approximately 14 miles a day). Help me run errands and go into the city a couple times a week (approximately 40 miles at a time). Have a much longer trip every week or two (80 miles). And travel to Maryland to visit my family about twice a year (1200 miles round trip, but could be substituted with a rental if needed). I live between Cincinnati and Dayton, it's a very hilly region, in a pair of river valleys if you're not familiar with it.

Lower maintenance costs and MPG would be a plus. I can do some basic repairs and maintenance on my own, but I live in an apartment, and anything that takes more than 6 hours on a Saturday or needs specialized equipment is out.

I should also point out I have poo poo for credit, so I can't get great loans.

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bird with big dick posted:

My mother is an amazing car price negotiator and it's because she's a cranky old lady and doesn't give a poo poo about cars. Which aren't really things that can be taught but the easiest way to emulate it is to just randomly get up and walk out of the dealership with a pissed off look on your face.

My mom thinks she's an amazing car price negotiator. She has bragged to me about getting the clear coat for free because she got the extended warranty on several car purchases :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

and cars in 1979 rusted like a mother fucker, the only things that are near as bad in the modern era are like mid 2000s Mazdas

Someone has never made the mistake of owning a Dodge Caliber :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

shortspecialbus posted:

I've had no complaints working on my WRX. Oil changes are hilariously trivial with the filter on top of the engine in the front. Getting the front bumper off to deal with things in there is also really easy.

The only real complaint is that some of the bolts (namely the bolts holding the downpipe onto the turbo, and the passenger seat bolts) are cross threaded from the factory and an absolute bitch to deal with as a result.

That said, that's more of a comedy answer than a good one. There's a lot that can go wrong on it and some other things are a colossal pain.

I haven't done anything but oil changes on my Crosstrek, but I'm in love with the engine bay.

I migrated from a Dodge Caliber, where the alternator was under the engine, and the AC compressor needed to be removed to access it, making it a two day operation at the shop. With the Crosstrek, I can see it, and although I'll probably still take it to the shop, I could probably do it myself.

It takes having a bad car that's lovely to work on to see a good car that's easy to work on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inner Light posted:

Toyota won't replace their own infotainment screen? Try another dealer. That doesn't even seem.... allowed under the car parts car companies are required to keep around / repair, but that's a new one to me.

It will be expensive though!

Maybe it has something to do with the microchip shortage?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wesleywillis posted:

How many enthusiasts out there are always wishing for a bare bones car with this, that the other thing, and a "hose out interior".

I always assumed that's why taxis had vinyl seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hadlock posted:

We declined gap insurance on our car as we plan on keeping it beyond the term of our loan, also we don't have a history of wrecking our cars, and also also, could absorb the ~$1500 deficit on the off chance that happened

Poverty tax, as zedprime pointed out, rings pretty clear and true from where I'm standing, but I'm sure there's other takes

When I wrecked my old car shortly after I got it, I immediately wished I had gone for the gap coverage. Insurance paid for it, even though in the end it cost several thousand more than the estimate and took a month to fix, I bet they had wished they had totaled it in the end.

EDIT:
THat was the only time I crashed a car in my then, 17 years of driving.