Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

obi_ant posted:

So I own/owned a new 2008 Volkswagen 2 door GTI and I'm in need of a new car. Long story short, the car is missing.

The GTI was really really the first car that I really enjoyed. I like the compactness of it, the power and just the overall build quality was great to me. Little things like blinking mirrors were really cool. For the most part it was pretty reliable as well.

Now I'm looking for a 4 door. Safety is my number one concern (gonna be driving around a kid soon). I really like things like push to start, moon roof, power seats. I would ideally like the car to have a back up camera (girl friend drives it), blind spot checking. I can't own a full hybrid because I don't have a house to install one of those charger things.

I'm not stuck to any particular brand, just wondering what specific cars I should look at to do some research. Anything sub 50k total would be great.

I don't really know what I'm talking about. I just came in here to ask for recommendations myself, but in classic internet fashion I'm going to say something like I know what I'm talking about and others can tell me if I'm wrong.

Maybe a Mazada 3? It pretty much checks all your boxes and I think it looks super sharp in hatchback form. (I'd really like to see a Mazdaspeed 3!)

Now on to me.

I've got a budget of...well let's say $25k but that's not really a hard limit, but there's got to be good reasons to go above that, and to tell you the truth we're really liking this used 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback I'm seeing locally for $19k with 22,000 miles.

My wife really likes her 2003 Explorer which is why she's still driving a 2003 Explorer. She's OK with the 3, but also keeps wanting something more in line with her 2003 Explorer and it's amount of interior space.

I guess we both like gadgety boop-boop-beep features, and something that doesn't feel like it's wheezing for power. We've also drove some stuff like a Q5, XC60, and a GLK (all used for between 25k and 30k) and liked all of them, but I'm hesitant because you go a couple years older compared to a non-luxury brand to be in the same price range and I'm not sure how the maintenance will be on any of those.

Fusion Hybrid was nice enough too.

Pathfinder was kind of 'meh'.

I've got this aversion to buying something with higher mileage (say more than 45,000 miles), but I could be talked out of that.

In the past we've mostly kept vehicles for 5+ years. She's had her Explorer for 11 years! However, we've been lucky enough to have had nicely-increasing incomes recently, and I might upgrade whatever we get in say 18 months, so maybe something thats known to hold value well?

Anyway, as you can see we're all over the map on this. Anyone have anything to say about what we should get or if we should definitely avoid any of these?

edit: Oh, I guess its apparent I'm looking at used stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

newish Ford Explorer, game on.

Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of the interior...particularly the drivers seat feels kind of cramped to me. Which I don't like when I'm driving this thing that feels like driving a big lumbering beast.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh by the way if you are really lookin at a 2014 Mazda3 with 22k miles for 19k i got some awesome land to sell you too

We'll see. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow I think. The price is a little on the low side, but it's a private seller and I see several of them with less than 30k for around 20 thousand.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

2014 was 3 model years ago, we're in 2017 now. $14k would be a good price for that car.

Interesting, that's at least 5k lower than I see any available for within 200 miles with a couple thousand results.

edit: oops, I was wrong about the results count. Not that many. Anyway, if I filter results to 2014 Mazda 3's with less than 45k miles, the average list price is over $17k. If I filter to S-series to get the bigger engine the average list price is a hair under $21k. Those prices are about in line with KBB and Edmunds tells me they should be...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Have you actually tried a remotely new Explorer (2011 on) or are you basing this off of your 2003?

I've drove a 2013.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 8, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For Explorer guy, what about :

Honda Pilot (big) or CR-V (smaller)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mazda CX7
Various GM softroaders, i think all the new ones come with CarPlay and the like which is neat.

Those look like good ideas. We'll look into them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Does anyone keep track of depreciation of various vehicle models over time and make that data available to the public?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I don't know if there's a better thread for this, but...

I've got a 13 year old car that I want to sell. KBB and Edmunds says its worth about 4k. It needs about 1k worth of work on the suspension.

Better to get the work done and sell it for 4k, or try and sell it for 3k and tell people about the work required?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I like the way you think

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Those are all things I've drove recently (for the same reason...wife ruled out minivan). Also take a look at the Durango...its my favorite out of the four with the highlander being my least favorite.

I like the Durango the most because of seating position, interior quality, aesthetics and a great electronics interface. I'm sure a Highlander will last longer with lower maintenance purely by virtue of being a Toyota but it was my least favorite to drive and the most boring interior and exterior.

The Honda was inoffensive and uninspiring. The Explorer is good, but it feels like you're driving something bigger than any of these with lower visibility.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Heh, you sound just like me. I hadn't even really considered a Dodge because of feelings about it having a not so great reputation... I just looked at a used one on the lot I was already at on a whim.

I mean I'm no car expert anymore (I used to be really, really in to cars), but the reading I've done indicate that it's fine nowadays and the Durango in particular gets good reviews.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Reviews don't really say a lot about reliability.

This isn't exclusive to automobiles, it's basically a problem with all "professional" reviews for all products. I just made the exact same observation last week in a gadget thread in IYG. However, here I was specifically talking about perusing owner reviews and comparing relative number/severity of complaints. That's a noisy operation with all sorts of biasing effects, of course.

Also, you can glean some useful information from stuff like long term tests these various car mags do and professional reviewers will often make comments like "unlike the Manufacturer X of the past, Manufacturer X of the past few years have had a much better reliability record"...or something to that effect.

Of course the whole reliability thing is difficult in general. As you mention, quality and reliability can vary from model to model under one make...and then there's the fact that for many models manufacturers put out newly developed versions every few years, so who knows for sure what the reliability of that model is going to be going forward.

Or, of course, we could all drive a Prius.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Also, at least in my area, the inventory is pretty limited.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Chu020 posted:

Here's the list I had come up with for cars to look at
- Mazda CX-5
- Subaru Outback
- Subaru Forester
- Honda CR-V
- Toyota RAV4

The Mazda seemed like the most likely one to still preserve some sense of fun despite the larger size. Any others I should be considering?

FWIW, I've drove all of those recently and the cx-5 is my favorite mainly because it's got a nice sporty feel to it...at least compared to the others.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nm posted:

What about a mazda 3 (or newer 6 if you want more space, though a 3 hatch will carry more stuff if you drop the seats)?
If you care about driving, they're a lot more fun to drive, have pretty decent FE, and are fairly reliable (more so than a used volvo).

edit: If you live in a place with heavy salt, they do rust a bit more than some cars though.

This is a good option. We've decided to not go with the 3 just because the wife likes SUV's, but a fully-loaded hatchback Mazda 3 (2014-) is my number one choice...and I'm comparing it to some vehicles that cost up to 10k more. It's got a nice interior, drives great, good gas mileage.

Personally, I'd always upgrade to the 2.5 over the 2.0 because it's a more capable engine with barely a dent in the gas mileage.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've been actively comparing cpo vs regular used on Mazdas with less than 10k miles for the past couple of months and I'd guess the premium is around $500 or less.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Like $200 better? Or like $1000 better?

Why don't you just compare Costco price to edmunds/kbb/whatever?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sits on Pilster posted:

That's pretty crazy. 2016s or 2017s? I'm only seeing 2017s at Dallas dealers and still a ways away from $14k.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Year=2016&Log=0

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TKIY posted:

and are still better quality than the American products.

This is not necessarily true from the tons of reviews I've read the past few months. Some are, some aren't.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That doesn't follow. Their quality is fine and good and so is a lot of American stuff.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Out of what you're looking at the Mazda 3 is the most enjoyable to drive, and has fine reliability.

edit: I forgot to say that I can't speak towards a Mazda 3 prior to 2014, but the infotainment system in the 2014+ is fine. Probably the best amongst it's competitors, but I'm not positive about that.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 15, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

DNK posted:

Is there a reason you don't want FWD with super torqued acceleration machines? My noob view is that FWD would be preferred due to the engine weight over the axel.

Or am I completely idiotic and asking questions that don't make sense in the first place?

e: I assume cars don't suffer from the "bike flip" phenomenon where their torque is enough to catapult the entire vehicle around the axel. That would be an issue with RW acceleration or front braking...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steering

That being said, some vehicles manage this better than others. I'll always have a soft spot for the '93 Taurus SHO I used to have.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Proposed Budget: 25k-30k (USD)
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Probably small/midsize SUV or less likely: Small truck
How will you be using the car?: Primarily a daily driver/commuter. Occasional towing and general outdoor shenanigans.
What aspects are most important to you? Comfortable for a 6'4 tall person, reliability, MPG.

After 17 years my old dodge intrepid is effectively dead (can't pass emissions). In addition to daily driving I need space to haul 2-3 bicycles + camping gear along some very light offroad work getting to trail heads. A few times a year I also need to tow a motorcycle + a few hundred lbs of racing gear on a trailer to the next state over. This has me looking at the small-midsize SUV market or maybe a used taco if I can find one worth buying in my price range.

So far I'm looking at used the 2015 Ford Edge/Nissa Murano or a new 2015 CX-5. Any opinions on these or any other AI endorsed alternatives?

The CX-5 is excellent. I'd go with a 2016 as they got a slight design refresh and you can get more doodads on it if you care.

The Edge and Murano are both just OK. The electronics interface is better on the CX-5 than the Edge.

I'd get a used 2016 CX-5 before I got a new 2015.

There are some thoughts for you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Teeter posted:

Isn't the CX-5 the one that's more like a Mazda 3 crossover?

I was under the impression that CX-3:Mazda 2 as CX-5:Mazda 3

Thats fairly accurate.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Look at the new Mazda CX-9.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Autotrader.com has by far the greater inventory of listings unless you're looking for niche stuff.

Source: I wrote some scrapers for all the big sites to help with my car search and I've become very familiar with what's on them all.

It's too bad the actual UI and functionality of their site and apps sucks so bad.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, I should have qualified that what I said probably only applies to vehicles less than 5 years old or maybe another way to say it is vehicles that a dealer would have on their lot.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

You also have to consider possible tax benefits. In AZ, and as far as I know many states, sales tax is calculated on the net sale price after trade, so you get a bit of it back.

In MO at least if you sell it privately you have 180 days to buy another car and not pay sales tax on that amount.

After taking our 2003 explorer in good condition with average miles to 4 different dealerships we went ahead and sold it outright instead. The best were going to get out if it on trade was $1800. We sold it for $3900.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Any advice on buying a vehicle from a out of state dealer?

Say I find a car online that I want to buy...just a normal 1-3 year old vehicle of whatever sort...but I'll have to fly or drive a day to get it. What kind of things should I try to do with the dealer beforehand to avoid getting there and there being some sort of holdup in the purchase?

I'm picturing getting to the dealer, the vehicle being what I expected, sit down to sign the papers and oh no the dealer has a hidden $500 fee, or they can't figure out how to sell to someone out of state, or what the gently caress ever and then I've got to pony up more money or go home empty handed having wasted the time/money on the trip.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How far are you planning to go and how common is the car?

In some ways, you're talking about the cost of doing business for things that are more rare (S2000s, old Lancias, etc). I would avoid the hassle if you are buying a common car. You are also likely to be responsible for much of the paperwork yourself.

It's a common car with an uncommon combination of options.

I'm looking for a used 2016 Mazda CX-5. Not rare at all you say? Wife wants activsense on it (adaptive cruise, smart braking, etc, and only available on the 2016). Right now there are about 20 CX-5's with activsense for sale in all of North America and the closest one is 300 miles away, and the closest I would consider because of price and other options is 600 miles away.

There's multiple new ones close by, but a used one with 8k-12k miles is ~5 grand cheaper.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Weird that there's that much depreciation already.

Ask the dealer to draw up the final purchase paperwork and have them send it to you in advance?

This summer while really looking into buying a car I've found that higher-optioned models of most manufacturers seem to depreciate a good amount more than entry level version of the same model. At least for the first year/first sale.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

everdave posted:

plus I assume you will save destination fees and "doc" fees? What is the price on new vs used? I am just interested

Used ~28,000. New ~33,000.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

everdave posted:

Do you have info on this vehicle? 5k is 5k but I'm not gonna save that if I'm stepping into a rental. Right now there are so many off lease and previous rentals flooding inventory it is crazy town with used models going for near or ~2k difference between new. Why are these features so important to your wife?

There's not a particular one that I'm eyeing, I'm just not going to wait forever for one to be available next door to me either.

She likes the safety aspects and they're just cool, though it really doesn't matter to me why she wants them...

We're getting a little bogged down in the details when I was really just wondering if there was any general advice about buying cars long distance.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nm, kyoon, everdave: all good info, thanks.

everdave posted:

No worries man I was just wondering because I see NEW cx5 for as little as 20-22 (yes I know seriously under your spec) that is a big difference. If you can find a dealer long distance who won't f you there is no downside to fly and buy the warranty is good everywhere

Yeah, it's crazy how much options add on to the price of a car. It's not uncommon to see one model of car with a price range spanning 10grand depending upon the options.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 1, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Drove it. Did not like it, even thought I really like how they look.

I like everything about the Flex except how it drives. It drives way more like a boat then any of its competitors.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I bought the Ford Edge. We had previously test drove the FWD version, but the AWD drives like a much better car. I got a very optioned out SEL for the same cost of the less optioned Pilot EX.

The interior volume isn't a major difference, plus I like the turbo 4 better than Honda's V6.

Nice car. Good going!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've specifically told dealers twice that there's no keep-a-building fee because that's part of their vehicle price and that they just want an excuse to charge more or they've got bad bookkeeping if they can't figure their overhead correctly. I then walked out.

One time they dropped the fee, another time I bought something somewhere else.

Always be willing to walk!

Doc fees are frickin idiotic.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I pay a couple bucks a month for roadside assistance on my cell phone plan. Between wife and I it easily pays for itself every year with lockout assistance, jump starts, towing, gas delivery, whatever.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Yes? I hate the new touchscreen everything.

It doesn't have to be touchscreen to not look like a piece of poo poo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Very nice!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Have you drove one? They're quite enjoyable to drive. I mean, no, they're not drag racers, but drag racing is boring!

In other news, if any of you are looking for vehicles through autotrader can you PM me your search URLs? I'm working on a project to take people's autotrader searches and do statistics on prices and alerts on listing changes...

I'm not promising you anything will come out of it, but it might. I'm just needing to gather some data from real searches to make sure I'm not missing any edge cases when scraping their data. Of course, autotrader doesn't like people scraping their data so if I actually make something other people can use besides me it will probably just be limited to people in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

How does even an expert know if all the airbags work?