Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KillHour posted:

A GT is an AWD V6 and an R/T is a RWD V8. I'm not sure how much sense it makes to cross shop those trims?
Man, my autotrader/tempest search history would baffle you. Late model tauruses, early 90s lexus V8s, magnum r/ts, 4 cylinder accord wagons from the 90s, hyundai genesis.

Got car add but I dunno what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Any good reasons to get talked out of a 2013 3.8 genesis? I've searched a bit but can't find anything major.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/KMHGC4DD4DU238230?sourceSiteId=10&partner=VSN_0

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

feelix posted:

So I drove the tourx and it just didn't feel right. I don't mind the transmission at all, I just felt really uncomfortable and uneasy sitting in it. I think maybe visibility was the problem? I'm pretty bummed, I don't know what else to look at, it was such a perfect car for me on paper. Subaru and VW reliability/repair costs are a turn off so I don't know if I'm down with one of those wagons. Maybe coming from a Fit, I'll never get a level of visibility I'm comfortable with in any wagon so I should suck it up and look at crossovers. The only reason I'm not getting another Fit is that I get leg cramps all the time being 6'4
I like my sisters fit too. Seat bracket extensions are available for that car, the ones I saw said they added 4-6 inches.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Kilonum posted:

Every car ad I've ever seen or heard has included "Tax, tag and title not included". Not sure how you've gotten this far into the process thinking sticker price was going to include those things, especially if this is not your first car.
His previous car was a 2004 nissan so its either been a long time or he's never bought a new car before. Buying a new car sucks cut him some slack.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
If I live in NY and want to purchase a rust free 95-01 Ford Explorer what would be one of the least headache inducing ways? Find a non-local dealer with one for sale, purchase, then find auto shipping company? Go to a local dealer and ask them to search? Find someone on craigslist locally that imports them for sale and ask if I can get in on that? I don't know where to start.

I AM able to buy a plane ticket somewhere to fly back but I'd rather keep it within a 5-7 hour drive back.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I just miss mine.

Besides the rebuilt transmission I needed it was a solid car with the 4.0. It was comfy, brakes were easy to change oil changes were easy. It was old enough that I didn't care about scratches or dents, I liked having space in the back. Only thing that went wrong in the 3 years that wasn't rust related was a coolant sensor.

A few I saw:
100k miles for $2,995.
98k miles for $3988
115k miles for $4995

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 14, 2021

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Motronic posted:

I had one with those exact wheels in that exact color. But 4 door.

It was a piece of poo poo. Go find one to drive and you'll be reminded that your nostalgia is rose tented.
I just sold it last year. :shrug:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Motronic posted:

Then I suggest you find better cars to drive so you have a basis for comparison. The were mediocre at best in every way for their time. Now they're 20 years past that time.
I drive a mustang so thats not happening. :v:

e: I guess I should've posted this in AI stupid questions instead, my bad. I don't need car specific advice just non-local car buying advice.

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 14, 2021

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Skipdogg is super cool because he gave me a long and informative PM when I asked about SHOs a few months ago. Thanks skipdogg!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
2002-2005 thunderbird.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

5k seems like a lot of money for a 20 year old car with 181k miles from NY modded by someone who thinks words on a windshield are cool.

Can you take a 4 hour trip? https://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/d/auburn-2003-acura/7414333599.html

Cage fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 2, 2021

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cowslips Warren posted:

OK Goons, got a question. In order to avoid being ripped off by the dealer, because going to the dealership is an option but usually not the right one ever, I have an older car, a 99 Honda Accord, and the key fob that came with the vehicle, although I'm not sure if it was factory installed or third party, has started to break.

The alarm system is fine, the key is still fine, it's just the fob itself has started to crack on the buttons. The company is rockledge securities, and their website doesn't look the most up-to-date. So would a locksmith or somewhere that installs car security systems be my best bet?

Edit: there is no direct replacement I see on Amazon or ebay either if that matters at all..
Do any of these look like it?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=PROPLTX+Keyless&_sacat=0

On the Rockledge website I saw they mention PROPLM - Keyless Entry so I googled PROPLM and it looks like PROPLTX might be the model # of the transmitter? It looks like it might be called a Pursuit Keyless Entry?

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 12, 2022

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KillHour posted:

But is there Korean beef on weck or sponge candy? Didn't think so!
Don't forget about the good mustard.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Hadlock posted:

What does this mean

I know what vinyl wrapping is, but not in this context
You can buy a vinyl sheet that resembles a license plate and stick it on your car like a sticker. Only in CA.

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Captain Log posted:

Quick Question - I’m now we’ll versed in the Ford Focus and Fiesta having specific garbage components in them. Is there a year where that stops being an issue?
Its the dual clutch automatic transmission thats the problem. 2012-2016 for focus, 2011-2016 for fiesta. If you pick up a manual you can avoid it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Captain Log has already said they can’t physically drive a manual.
I don't know their history. Saw a random question.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

maybe read the thread where this was already all discussed a little bit or something i dunno
I saw an easy transmission question and I tried to help out! Maybe be less of a butt I dunno.

Cage fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 13, 2023

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

dpkg chopra posted:

There was a TikTok where a dealership asked its own dealers what they were paying for their brand new trucks and they all gave answers in 700-1000/month range.

Everyone involved seemed to think this was good publicity for the dealership, so I don’t think we can really expect these people to actually understand the finances at work behind a car sale, they just know that higher monthly payment = more commission
Its worse, the lowest amount in the video was $1000.

https://twitter.com/jessicaray0/status/1563329075153760256

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I’m listening—what’s possibly more fun at $25k and has an analog clock?
e; this is *me* asking for advice now
Motronic was bein his usual dick self but do you want a trophy that says "sportiest car under 25k*** ***with an analog clock***"?

Cage fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 5, 2023

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ethanol posted:

be sure to tell us in a few years what you sell it for :thanks:
Only if you promise not to post until then :thanks: :thanks:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Sub Rosa posted:

The Mercury turns out to be a Grand Marquis not a Sable. Less of a poo poo box?
Yep good car, crown victoria clone. Parts a plenty and easy to work on. Its still 55k miles for $5500? Good deal if it was taken care of. Get it checked out by a mechanic if you can. Its a big comfy couch but the mileage kinda sucks and they like to rust.

Cage fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 3, 2023

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Sub Rosa posted:

Now I'm being told $6000, but still 55k miles. GS version.

Literally a car owned by a Grandma whose sight started to fail shortly after buying the car. Now being sold by her daughter, who is close friends with my girlfriend's mother.
Probably a good purchase (in todays world). Two years ago I picked up a 2007 with 72k miles for $6250.

Are you able to get it inspected by a mechanic before purchase?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Motronic posted:

The mod motor? Are you serious?
She like to run.

I'm on my third one. I like the 305hp verison the most :q:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That looks like a stupid material for a seat.

You can get a new seat cover for ~$170 and new floor mats for ~$80.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264376553311

Or spend an hour or two in a junkyard to find decent replacements, then spend a little time cleaning it up. It'll look way better than it does right now.

I don't know dents or PDR, but might be worth finding someone to see if they can improve it any.

If you're just selling to carvana do none of this.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Nitrox posted:

If it was true, yes.

Maybe that's what the dealer offered him as a trade-in or something. But those cars are selling for way more than that.

A quick search shows me that used car dealers are asking $40-50k for those cars.
You can see in the tweet that its just what Carvana is currently offering for his car.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Nitrox posted:

Car thieves break the back window and then immediately fall down the rear seats to access the trunk. You're correct that lack of visibility will lower the chances of a break in, and most SUVs and hatchbacks have a cover for the rear cargo area for this exact reason. Trunks have no advantage in that regard, so it's probably best not to limit yourself to it.
As a car owner of a car without rear fold down seats you could also just not buy a car that has them. It doesn't invalidate all cars.

So enjoy your lifted crown vic OP!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I already have "not a GM" in my mental list of rental car preferences. It's about to become an absolutely rigid rule.
GM cars are the ones that will light up the reverse lights when you're in park and engine is off?? Yeah, do never buy.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My dad is going to need a new vehicle soon. He currently has a 2011 Rogue that he had to buy quickly after my brother totaled his car and its a piece of poo poo. He doesn't need much but it has to be easier to get into than a car, so suv or similar. So I guess I'm asking whats the current recommendation for "prius but six inches higher" if we want to stay on the cheaper side of things?

edit: he doesn't want Hyundai/Kia because he's afraid of the kia boyz

Cage fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 2, 2024

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Nocheez posted:

Is he buying new or used? Either way, I'd recommend a RAV4 or CRV (although my mother in law had a few stinkers in recent memory).
Used, probably. Unless the prices are all still whacky.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Am I crazy for liking the buick envista? Its cheap and still has a six speed transmission instead of a cvt.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
He doesn't need suv usefulness or awd, and not good acceleration isn't a big deal.

wow your 2nd sentence really changed after editing

Yeah I like the envision too bit its just a bit more than he'd want to spend I think.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

davecrazy posted:

Get yourself to your local Alfa Romeo dealer and pick up a just off lease Stelvio! :)
Thats a lot more expensive than "cheap"!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Welp the old man heard all of you telepathically and went and bought a rav 4 hybrid. Two years old with 20k miles. Hopefully it'll be the last car he needs to buy.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

euphronius posted:

Most boring car in human history
Its my dads favorite car since buying a brand new challenger straight out of Vietnam back in 1970. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

thank you for defending the honor of the RAV-4 or whatever
I'm really liking my dads so far. Quiet, roomy, doors have a solid thunk when you close em. Crazy gas mileage!!