Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artard
Sep 11, 2001
I can get a 36 month lease on a new Impreza for $0 down and $180 a month (12k miles a year allowed). I don't drive for my job but do enough driving in general that I think I'm justified in the premium of a new car for the comfort/reliability. My after-tax income is about $4000 a month. That's a pretty reasonable expense, right? It's a small percentage of my income but with so many people giving out universal NEVER LEASE A CAR EVER statements I'm just wondering why this wouldn't be a good idea. ~$6500 of lease payments spread out over 3 years to drive a new car seems pretty decent to me...

My alternative is to spend $5000-$6000 on a late 90's Legacy but I don't have enough cash right now to buy one outright and would have to take out a loan, and I don't like the idea of having a loan on a vehicle with 100k+ miles and isn't under warranty.

edit: lease, not loan

artard fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artard
Sep 11, 2001
I suppose I could buy a $1000 shitbox in the short term while I save for a nicer car, but I'm planning on doing some road trips this summer and want something that isn't going to leave me stranded. I live well under my means but don't have much savings at the moment because I recently finished paying off my credit card and student loan debt.

I'm stuck on subarus because my family and I have driven many of them and they've always been great, and I think an Impreza is the nicest (new) car you can buy for under 20k (especially when you need a car that can handle adverse weather).

artard fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 12, 2010

artard
Sep 11, 2001
So the huge debate that happened as a result of my previous question was excellent, sorry I didn't reply again but I didn't want to interrupt it. One thing that stuck out though is the assumption that I have 0 cash savings, which isn't actually true. I have an "emergency fund" ie enough money in the bank to live for at least 3 months or so and when I said I had "no money" it was in regards to money I could spend on a car. Also in my current living situation I am spending a ton of money on what would probably be considered "blow" in this forum but am saving at least $1000 a month.

I agree with the people who said it would be much better to save for a year and then buy a 10-12k car with cash but what do I do in the meantime, buy a $2000 car and hope it doesn't break down? I think I'm fairly mechanically savvy and can do things beyond basic oil changes but to me the prospect of being left stranded somewhere by a broken car is far worse than having to deal with actually repairing anything.

So to take this back full circle I present an new situation: my dad's car lease on a 2007 Impreza is expiring at the beginning of august and I have the opportunity to buy it out for $11,500. It has 13,000 miles and is in perfect condition basically. Also my parents offered to give me $1000 for the down payment and cosign on a loan if it gets me a better interest rate than what I can get myself (they can get 5% I think at the credit union). So figuring the $1000 of my own money I'd also put down will about cancel out the taxes and registration fees, my loan amount would be about $10,500 and my monthly payments on a 36 month loan would be about $315. I would plan on basically driving this car into the ground and hopefully keeping it for a decade or longer.

To me, it seems the downside is "what if you lose your job and can't make payments" and yeah, there is always that risk, but I am saving money every month and feel that I'm a pretty employable person at the moment. If I came to a worst case scenario where I couldn't afford the car I would just sell it. Looking at craigslist right now I see 3 Imprezas exactly like this one for 13-15k and they have 30-50k miles on them. Tell me why I'm retarded for wanting to buy this car.

artard
Sep 11, 2001

Bob Log posted:

I'm basically looking to get a loan for 10k (I've understood this is the minimum, don't need more than 7.5k)

?? No bank that I've ever used has a minimum for a car loan.

artard
Sep 11, 2001
Find a credit union that will let you join, they are always the most accommodating for these sorts of situations