Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Hi All -

My wife and I are beginning the process of separation, the first step of which is to move out of our apartment and get our own places. This also means we won't be sharing a car anymore.

I've always owned Honda Civics, but my most recent one, a 2008 LX 4-door, has me less-than-impressed. It was certified, so we paid a premium but it was always a hassle to get work done and yada yada. I probably wont get certified again.

So, if I wanted a Honda Civic-sized car that isn't ugly as sin and can potentially take a beating (DC roads and drivers are crappy), what would you recommend. I have every intention of keeping this car long term and driving it into the ground.

$$$: I'm assuming I can sell this Civic for ~12k, that would leave me with about ~$6k to put down. I would love to get a brand new car with 0% financing or something and throw that $6K down and pay it off in a year, but not sure any dealers are offering those deals anymore. I'm pretty sure a lease isn't right for me.

Other option is buying used, but the interest rates will be higher and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of owning a car that is already X years old and I have a loan on it for another Y years.

So.. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Weinertron posted:

If you have the income and good credit, do this and look at the current Mazda 3, Ford Focus, and Hyundai Elantra. If you are really price-sensitive and like quirky looks I think that the current Kia Soul is a hell of a value car right now, and pretty comfortable too.
Thanks for the tip. Looks like Mazda 3 is the only one with a 0% APR offer, unless I missed something. Or were you just suggesting them as comparable to the Civic?

And the Kia Soul.... :3:

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
How are you people finding out what the dealer invoice is? I always thought that was super secret voodoo?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Trip Report:

Thanks to the advice of this thread, I spent today looking at the following cars:
    * 2012 Mazda 3 i Touring
    * 2013 Ford Focus SE
    * 2013 Chevy Cruze 1LT
    * 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS

As suspected, the Mazda dealer was really trying to get the car off the lot. I think the color is a bit odd (Dolphin Grey Metalic, but it looks blue), it's a 6-spd manual and it's a 2012. That plus the whole last weekend of the month and quarter thing, sticker price was $19,550 but they offered me (without any haggling) $15,679. Add in Tax ($502), Tag ($69), Processing ($394) and Freight ($795), it comes to $17,439 out the door. I just did an Edmunds report and it says invoice was $18,683 and True Market Value is $17,337. They said that price was a "cash" price and that if I financed, they could give me 1.99% APR for 60 months, but they wouldn't do a 0% APR deal. To do a 0% APR deal they said they'd add $1500 to the price. Does that seem right to everyone? That's the only thing that felt kinda bullshitty to me.

So, the plan now is to call up a couple of other dealers and see if they'll beat the price. If they do, I'll go back to the original dealer and they said they'd beat any other dealer by $500. Also, I think sunday night 1 hour before close they might be more compelled to take more off.

Any other things I should look into or worry about?

Edit:

It turns out they just gave the me "internet sale price": http://www.arlingtonmazda.com/detai...rtOrderBy=5%2C0 No wonder I didn't have to negotiate at all ;). Definitely planning on getting one dealer going after the other and getting them to knock off a bunch more. How much do you think is reasonable? I was thinking about asking for $1.5K off and meeting in the middle at $750 off.

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 30, 2012

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Thewittyname posted:

These are pretty much the exact cars I'm looking at right now, can you explain why you went with the Mazda? What did you think about the Elantra?
I got the best deal on the Mazda and it felt the coolest / sportiest / tightest to me. The focus just felt really plain and clunky.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Fair_Winds posted:

Proposed Budget:$4,000 or less
New or Used: Used Preferably
Body Style: Truck
How will you be using the car?: Towing, Material Hauling (Lumber, Drywall, Concrete, General House Renovation, and Furniture Transit.), Work Truck that can hold 4-5 people preferably.
What aspects are most important to you? I'm going to be doing a lot of DIY Home Renovations over the next few months/years and need something that can facilitate the boys and I going out to do things. As well as moving large project sized amounts of material. I have no idea what kind of truck is going to be reliable and easy to work on outside my own experience. I've been looking for a 1992-97 F-150 F250 Since my father owned a 97 F250, and I remember all the tear downs and rebuilds for maintenance we did in the winter months. I'm familiar with that and Its almost impossible to find one in good condition in Indiana for a cheap amount. I have found a couple in okay condition, but I can't justify the asking amounts.

What are some other trucks I should consider? Thanks in advance!
This article may be helpful (read past the condescending parts):

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/04/28/what-does-your-work-truck-say-about-you/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Sextro posted:

I wish they didn't give a gently caress. I've been getting daily phone calls and emails from a bunch of local dealers after I just gave the basic info to see their online inventories (including the info that I am in the 4-6 month window).
Give them a google voice number. It’ll allow you to read their texts and voicemails at your leisure or just completely ignore them