Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So, here is a stupid situation:

While I was in school I drove a 2001 Ford ZX2. I financed it at the time because I really needed a new car (my previous car, a Jeep, had crapped out), and I didn't want to tap into savings or anything. I got a $4k loan at 4.5% and got 60 month terms, so my payments on the ZX2 are like $36/month.

I just started a new job, and I'm driving more now so I wanted to get a nice new ride. I got preapproved for a $30k loan through USAA, decided on an Infiniti G35, found a beautiful lightly used one listed at $28k. I went to the dealer and proposed that they pay off the remaining $3,300 on my ZX2 and give me the Infiniti. They said they could do it for $31k. I thought this was a bad deal, so I just paid the $28k and kept the ZX2.

Now, I have the ZX2 sitting there doing nothing and costing me $36/month. It still has a lien on it, although I do have the title. I would like to get rid of this thing and pay off as much of the $3,300 I owe on it while doing so. Blue Book for a private sale is around $3,200. Is there an easy way for me to sell this on eBay or craigslist or something despite the fact I have a lien on it? What other options have I?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sanchez posted:

That loan is hilarious, do you have enough cash to pay it off completely? It is impressive that you've managed to get upside down on a car you paid $4000 for.

Yeah the guy I bought it from was...amused as well. That said I don't think I could managed a cheaper car for the last 9 months. $40 payment and $25 insurance!

Over the last month I've had to shell out close to $5k for moving expenses and whatnot, so I'm not very liquid at the moment. The only way I'd have the cash on hand is if I tap into my retirement business and I'm not interested in doing that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have plenty of credit left on my card...would my loan company go for that? I guess they probably wouldn't care one way or another.

Any other unforseen issues in using a credit card to get the lien released?