Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
After a nice run, I'm probably going to retire my 02 Hyundai Elantra with 200K.

Proposed Budget: Was hoping around $15K. Can go higher for a deal.
New or Used: Best Value
Body Style: Compact Sedan, 2 or 4 door
How will you be using the car?: Everyday life. Going to work. City and highway.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, Price, Longevity. I need some degree of room to carry around a bass cabinet when need be (the back seat of my Elantra currently does this). USB port for tunes would be great. MPG is good. I do not care about being a speedster or having the best acceleration. I want something reliable that will get me from A to B.

I'm currently down to two options, a 2015 Hyundai Elantra or a Honda Civic. I haven't finalized Civic prices yet but I'm seeing some very good incentives on Elantras that lower the price to about 16K new. 2014 and 2013 models are barely cheaper at all.
I think both cars will serve my purpose well. My Elantra has been very reliable to me and that's why I'm willing to go with them again- and the 2015 model feels very similar to the 2002 so it feels right at home to me. I have not yet put my feet into a Civic but I plan to this weekend.

I'm also considering going used with either model, but the used prices don't seem low enough to make it a better value. Still haven't decided.

So... these two choices seem pretty even to me, with the civic having slightly better options but also being more expensive. Anyone have a strong opinion on either one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Ganon posted:

Which options? At that price you're looking at base models, and the Elantra has alloy wheels, sat radio, and 6 speakers that the Civic doesn't.

Base models on both (Elantra SE and Civic LX). The options are actually pretty similar.
Civic has backup camera, spare tire. Elantra has variable speed wipers, heated mirrors, 4-disc brakes as opposed to 2 on civic, sat radio. Everything else is really minor to me.

The cars are so similar I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has a strong opinion for or against either of them. I'm already driving an Elantra so I know what to expect there.