Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Harry posted:

This is bullshit. I was looking around for a car recently and the only ones even close to this price range were cars from the late 80's. These aren't super reliable cars and there's a decent chance you're a turn away from a $2000 repair bill.

In fact re-reading your post again, I can't believe you actually think it's a decent plan.

I drive an 88 Honda Accord that I paid $1300 for over a year and a half ago. In that time, I've spent about $250 fixing things that broke, maybe $150 doing routine maintenance and fixing little things that didn't affect safety or drivability. I'm going to spend maybe $350 doing the timing belt, water pump and my CV halfshafts before I make the 1100 mile trip back home for Christmas.

After that, there's almost nothing that needs to be done to the car, and it'll last another 50k easy. There kinds of cars aren't the easiest to find, I did do a lot of looking, but they are definitely out there. By the time this one finally shits the bed, I'll have enough saved up to get something a whole lot nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Harry posted:

Great job on being the huge exception to the rule.

I'll be the first to admit that most older and cheap cars are complete pieces of poo poo and should be avoided at all costs.

You really have to look for the ones that won't require twice what you paid to keep it running for longer than a year. I looked at a whole lot of cars before settling on this one.

The good thing is that good condition late-80's Hondas and Toyotas are fairly undervalued. The blue book difference between a complete rust bucket and one that will do another 100k with little relative maintenance costs is something like $500-750 dollars.