Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

So, I recently found out that my wife and I are going to be having a baby, so I need to trade-in my nearly brand new 2012 Toyota Tacoma for an SUV. From the offers I've been receiving, I'm going to end up upside down, but not by a terrible large amount (around $1,000 at most...may be able to negotiate a little better). I am looking to keep my monthly payment around 300 a month, and have already been approved for 2.64% financing at 72 months through my bank for a used (2.34 new), which is better than what I'm seeing at most dealers.

I'd like something new or used with less than 30,000 miles...preferably something 2011 or 2012.

So far I've looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe, which I like...but I'm finding it out of my price range. I've also looked at the Kia Sorento, but I'd prefer to not buy a used Kia if possible. Maybe it's my preconceived notions of the brand, but the prices seem high for a Kia.

One current option I'm seeing is a 2011 Chevy Equinox with 22,000 miles for around 21,000. I think I could talk them down a little to get it in a range I could afford. When looking at reviews online however, they seem to be almost universally terrible (complaints about power, gas mileage, etc.), even though they are ranked highly on Consumer Reports and Edmunds.

A couple questions...

1 - What are the opinions of the Equinox, particularly the 2011 models?

2 - What other options should I be looking at in a similar range. We've looked at the Hyundai Tuscon and the Honda CRV, but both seem limited in storage space, which is something we desire.

Thanks for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why an SUV for one kid?

Don't finance anything that depreciates for 72 months.

My truck is just an access cab without any space for a carseat, so I'll have to get rid of that. The SUV over a car is more a personal preference than anything else. I'm not fond of driving low to the ground after being in trucks/suvs for the past 10+ years.

Unfortunately, because I'm upside down in my truck, 72 months is really the only option for something that is still under warranty.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Grumpwagon posted:

That doesn't make it a good idea, especially in a thread that's ostensibly about financial advice

To be honest, I was really asking more about what type of car I could get with the limitations that I mentioned.

I work in the banking industry and am fairly familiar with the benefits and downfalls of long term loans. I also typically double up my payments, as I make more than enough to afford the 300 per month.

At the same time, I like having the option of paying less for a period if my wife or I lost one of our jobs, or if we had unforseen bills. Rather than eating into savings, it's nice to have the option of just paying the normal payment. I work with a 100% model, when I devote no more than 40% to bills, 40% to savings and investments, and 20% for general expenses.

I have always been the type to borrow for long terms and pay down the principal as I go along. In the end, it typically evens out in my case (and in most cases, I end up saving money in the long run). With all of that said, I didn't explain that in my original post, so it shouldn't have been expected

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 20, 2012