Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary
May 21, 2004
My 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS is having transmission issues. Assuming the worst a new transmission will probably cost $2000-$4000 with labor I'm sure. The car has 167K miles on it and is paid off. Is it worth it to replace the transmission or to use the money for a new car? There's a dealership here with a 2002 Toyota Celica with 104K miles for $8500 that caught my eye. Is dumping the Eclipse for the Toyota a better call? I can pay cash for it, though it will come out of my emergency fund, so no financing will be involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary
May 21, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Depends. Take it to an honest transmission shop, could be a 40 dollar solenoid, could need to be rebuilt or replaced.

If you shop around you should be able to swap with a rebuilt for 1500 bucks. If the rest of the car is in good shape, 1500 bucks to keep it running for another 6 months (or more!) is pretty cheap.

The shop said it needed a transmission rebuild. Maximum cost of $2400, I may be able to instead get a used transmission instead for less money. I'm going to call around and see what other places would charge for the work. The car has been kept in pretty good shape and the engine in it is supposed to be solid if maintenance is kept up. I knew that the transmission would be an issue at some point, it's a known problem with this model.

The way I look at it there's no other way I can stay on the road for another year or two for that little money. Any used car under 10K is going to be 10 years old so I'd be trading a dog of a car that I know the issues with for one with unknown problems.