Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

The best part is that the show pays the judgement, and both parties get free airfare, hotel, and per diem.

So in other words the guy he's trying to teach a lesson to over won't have to pay anything, will get a free mini-vacation, and get an appearance on TV. Yeah, that'll show him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

SoulChicken posted:

I live in New York and am just about to move to LA for my new job. I am certain that renting is something I am going to do for the first couple of months, so that I don't make some sort of lovely decision about buying a car. Where is a good place to rent a car from for 2 months? Would I still go to Enterprise (like I did when I was job hunting?)

Since you're in a major city, there should be car co-ops that you can sign up for that'll likely be cheaper than traditional rentals.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I may be approaching a decision of when to call it a day with my car.

It's a 1998 Dodge Neon with 260,000km on it, and still on the original transmission (although the switch from 1-2 is a bit out of adjustment, it doesn't shift until the revs are a bit too high). I don't drive it much, but it goes through a quart of oil in a few months of driving, which would be 500-1000kms. The coolant was down a bit recently too and I swear the bottle looked a little dark, but I haven't gotten around to opening the check valve to see if there's poo poo in it. Also the brakes will need some attention soon, especially because there's at least one rotor with some warping to it. Last time I had it in for service work about 2 years ago, they replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, a motor mount, and a tie rod end, and told me I had slightly low compression on one cylinder. And last but not least, a couple of weeks ago, when I went to pass someone on the highway, the car stalled out and wouldn't start up again for a few minutes. On the plus side, the check engine light isn't on.

Anyway, in about a month the car will have to pass my region's smog test, and I'm wondering if I should just junk it if it fails the test. If the head gasket is indeed screwed, then that's probably at least $700, plus whatever else they find, which seems like a lot to spend when the transmission could pass on at any moment. Going car-less is definitely an option for me, so I wonder if I should just take the plunge.

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 23, 2011

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

rt_hat posted:

I'm looking at used/new cars now. I have $15,000 in cash (including the $3500 from the insurance company) that I can use for a new/used car. I'm not in a huge rush (I can get drives to work and home, aside from the hassle).

It sounds like you're planning on committing most of the money you have for getting a replacement car. If having the nice car is important to you, then by all means go for it, but compare what those dollars could do elsewhere (retire 1 year earlier, go on a nice european vacation, x extra sqft on a house you might buy someday). There isn't a right or wrong answer since you can afford it, but make sure the money is going where it's important to you.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

The AC can't run very long before the motor kicks in. The new Prius can run the fans with just the solar panel, I believe.

That would just be fans though, right? I'm not that familiar with the Prius, but going by the pictures on GIS and physics, it would be pretty tough to run an AC off a solar panel that size.