Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Moon Cactus
May 29, 2004
I GOT THE HICCUPS, wo wo wo
Alright guys, time to enlist your help!

Current ride: 2001 PT Cruiser Limited with 158,000 miles on it. This car was inherited from my folks after I graduated college and they bought a new Toyota. The car currently needs a new power steering pump, tires, and engine mount. It also burns oil and has a cooling system leak that no one can figure out. I figure it's time to finally ditch this sucker and get a real car.

Financial situation: I'm in my mid-twenties and have a decent full-time job, though in the next 2-3 years I'll likely be moving more toward freelance work. I've got $20k in the bank as long-term savings, and my credit union will give me a loan for a new car at 1.99 APR - I think it's slightly higher for used.

Location/car use: I'm in Los Angeles, and currently live very close to my job. This is an anomaly, though, and most other jobs I'll be taking over the next 10 years or so will likely require 30 minutes to an hour of commute through very heavy traffic. For this reason, I do not wish to own a car with a manual transmission.

I like taking my car on long road trips and out into the desert or up into the mountains on weekends, but probably don't have the budget for anything too amazing. Also, I've been driving a freaking 1.6 liter PT cruiser most of my life, so nearly anything will feel like an upgrade.

I'm 6' 2'' and I don't like feeling cramped while driving, especially because I go on lots of long drives.

I like the hatch on my PT, but I don't want another wagon that big. I'm looking at small hatchbacks that are fun to drive and also have a reasonable amount of cabin space and decent cabin quality if possible. I don't want to feel on the inside like the car is about to fall apart and I don't want to feel like I'm driving the world's shittiest rental car.

Price: Currently looking between $12,000 and $25,000, depending on new/used and how amazing/reliable the car is.

Cars I'm considering:

Golf GTI - LOVE the power and outrageous feel, but they're expensive - even used - and hard to find in a 4-door hatch with an automatic transmission. They're also a bit cramped and costly to maintain.

Mazda3 hatch - test drove a new one of these, lowest trim package and the sedan, though, so I didn't get the full experience of the car. Liked it, but wasn't blown away.

Haven't driven but I'm considering looking at the Subaru Impreza (though the AWD feels a little silly to have in LA), Prius (hybrids make sense in LA, though they're a bit pokey), new Focus, etc. I like minis, even though they're small, but they're a bit on the pricy side too.

Am I missing any cool/fun options? What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU