Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

My 2006 Tacoma needs to be replaced as it is too small for my family for our weekend/camping excursions. I love my truck and have had it since 2005. It's the most reliable thing I've ever had. The biggest thing I need is a quad-cab/crew-cab. But since I have to replace it to get that, it's worth looking at adding some other capabilities - mainly a reasonable towing capacity. I don't foresee the need for more than 7,500lbs so I don't need a giant 1-ton diesel. I probably can't afford it either.

Having an open bed for hauling dirty loads around happens frequently enough that I don't want an SUV or Van or anything like that. But I'll probably get a removable soft-top thing for so I can move things without worrying about rain.

Proposed Budget:$30k-$40k
New or Used: Used (because new is like $50k)
Body Style: 1/2-ton (though I'm not averse to a 3/4-ton or 1-ton if there's a good case) Crew Cab Pickup, 6ft+ bed length
How will you be using the car?:
Daily driver + camping with the family, occasional loads from the hardware store, dirt/mulch loads, maybe eventually towing a camp trailer.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?
My wife really likes heated seats, I have become pretty reliant on Car-Play, Remote-start would be great. 4x4 is a requirement here (Oregon) in a truck.
What aspects are most important to you?
Reliability. I am selling my 16 year old Tacoma because it's too small now. Otherwise, I would drive it for another 16 years. Mileage/Economy is my second concern. I understand that newer full-size trucks can achieve better mileage than my Tacoma because of new technology so that would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

skipdogg posted:

Do you have a brand preference?

I'm a Ford homer, so I would be looking at 2017 or newer F-150 Lariats. Don't know what the truck market is like in Oregon, but here in Texas it might be hard to find a used 2017 Lariat at that price point, especially with a longer bed than the 5.5ft one commonly purchased. Stupid things hold their value really well around here. 2017+ gets you CarPlay, the 2nd gen 3.5L Ecoboost (or one of the other engines 5.0 NA and 2.7TT). Lariat package will get you a lot of fancy bits like BLIS, LED headlights, remote/push button start, Leather, power seats etc. Double check the window sticker though, there's several packages.

I'm not familiar enough with the other brands to know when they got CarPlay. All the full size trucks are pretty decent though, in my experience it mostly comes down to brand preference. There's lots of Tundra's around here, since they're made here in Texas

No, other than I've heard nothing but bad things about the Nissan.

I test drove the 2021 F-150 PowerBoost for the heck of it and it was super nice. It was a Lariat with lots of cool features. A friend of mine works for a company that has a lot of fleet trucks and he cautioned to avoid the 3.5L because they've had to rebuild a lot of them so even though the mileage might suffer a little, I'm under the impression that the V8 might be more reliable.

Ram and GMC seem to all have CarPlay from 2017 on. If not, for a few hundred bucks I can always add an after-market stereo.

As for Oregon, there's a lot of used trucks on CarGurus. Overwhelmingly, in fact. I have a lot of choices.

Wizzle fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 23, 2021