Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagershot
Jun 7, 2004

RIP Mike V, 1989-2007. Have fun mounting Bear Bryant up in heaven.

flyboi posted:

Unfortunately insurance won't pay a dime of it :( I've tried everything with them

Let's say that the damage was $524, $24 more than your deductible. Your insurance would pay you the $24, and then you'd be paying $100-$400 extra a year in insurance premiums because now you've been involved in an accident that required a claim, even though it wasn't your fault.

Consider yourself very lucky and just drop it. You're going to come out ahead on this one in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagershot
Jun 7, 2004

Matlock posted:

I'm looking at buying a new car, namely the Honda Civic Sedan LX-S. According to Overstock.com, it runs $17,206. Taking a look around the area, most of the used Civics in the current gen are at asking prices ~$18K and in the EX trim.

Currently, my day job makes me an average of $220/week. Not much, but I live in an area where my rent is $120/month for a decent place and my expenses are really low.

My other work, which includes referral fees and freelance writing, make above and beyond that--but that's entirely variable on a month to month basis.

After tax and title, I'm looking at probably around $19K, of which I have $10K set aside to put down on it.

Also notable, my credit score (due to lack of credit card until Jan '10) is in the range of 660-680.

I'm looking to take out an auto loan for 48 months, paying more than the minimum on months I have a significant surplus of cash.

Any opinions? Am I completely off-base in what I should be pursuing?

I think you're spending too much money on a car. Just for comparison's sake, I just bought a used 2006 Civic EX, financed it @6.69% for 4 years, loan was about $14k. My payments are $325 a month, and my insurance is $80 a month higher than when I was driving my paid off 1997 Integra.

I made about $70k last year, and I feel like $425 for a car payment + insurance is a ridiculous expense. I think that if you bought the car you're looking at, right about the second or third month that you're making your car payment, you'll feel a little sick to your stomach.

If I were you, I'd try to find a 2006 or 2007 Civic in a southern state for $10k to $12k, you're getting essentially the same car for way cheaper without the rust issues. I really like my Civic, I just hate paying for it. :)

Jagershot
Jun 7, 2004

That accord is worth the $14k, easily. Cost of ownership is a little higher than a Civic due to the much lower gas milage, but still pretty reasonable.

Jagershot
Jun 7, 2004

If I were you, Moana, I'd try to pick up one of the 06 or 07 Civics. You can probably find one for $11-$14k. They're pretty sweet, with a lot of features not on the 05 and older models. I have an 06, and other than the cheap interior, I love it.

You save $10k over the new version and it'll last you just as long as you want it to if you take care of it.

Jagershot fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 28, 2010

Jagershot
Jun 7, 2004

Mandalay posted:

....did you just explain how percentages work?

I don't think the vast majority of people think this way, though. I appreciate his graph just as a reminder.

Jagershot
Jun 7, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Every dealer I've been to would apply the diagnostic price to the repair, os it's not always a bad thing.

That's a psychological trick. "You've already invested $50, but you 'get it back' if you get your car fixed here! Please ignore the fact that getting it fixed elsewhere would save you way more than $50."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagershot
Jun 7, 2004

asmallrabbit posted:

How do I go about negotiating a good price, I feel like I am going to be at a disadvantage in that they know I will want the car, there are limited ones available and because its a special edition I don't know if i can figure out what the wholesale price is for the vehicle. I'm still willing to walk if I feel like I am getting screwed so there is that at least.

You are screwed. If you walk in there with the mindset that you "have to have" this car, you have zero leverage. The only thing you can hope for is finding multiple dealerships that have the ability to sell you the car, and get competing bids from them.