Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
I'm going abroad for 3 months soon, then back in the States at my parents' place for the holidays, then abroad for another 3 months. My insurance right now is $43/month with Geico, and I called them up and it sounds like they'll only lower that to $28/month if I go to their minimal, stored-car plan (putting it in my parents' garage). I'm inclined to just cancel the insurance and start up again in 7-8 months. Is there any downside to this, aside from needing to be driven for the minimal amount I might during the holidays? I think I've seen questions about whether you've had interrupted insurance before when getting my auto insurance - is this going to make problems if I have a 8-month window of no insurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
I guess I'm a case of "go buy a Prius" but then there are statements like

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit2: man, people really buy a prius to drive 6k mi/yr? that seems crazy

IRQ posted:

There's plenty of people who buy them to be smug about the environment.

Twerk from Home posted:

That's like "how to lose money buying a Prius", but we saw a ton of it when my wife and I were searching for a car for her. I'd bet most Priuses average less than 8k miles / year based on what's on the used market.

so maybe not because gently caress driving, I drive the minimum possible amount, like 4-6k miles/year. Bike commute to work unless it's truly awful out, buy groceries every other week. Small-ish town so most bars and other stuff is within biking distance, which is also nice for not drinking and driving.

SO

Proposed Budget: up to $25k-ish, could go higher
New or Used: Either
Body Style: agnostic other than space requirements
How will you be using the car?: Commuting only on lovely weather days (southeast Washington), occasional errands.
What aspects are most important to you: Reliability, mileage, cargo space, I guess looks would be nice

In my job I end up moving just about every year, frequently across the country. Maybe that will end soon and maybe it won't. That means every year I sell everything that won't fit into my car (currently a Honda Accord) and drive away. It would be really swell to have more storage so less has to get tossed, and moving a lot means I buy/sell big furniture and electronics on craigslist a lot. Also, I'm considering getting a big dog.

Prius (2015 model II for $20k with $2.5k cash back offer http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/640585547/overview/) would work for that I guess, but I'm also considering something like a Honda CR-V ($25k sticker http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/640978058/overview/) or Subaru Forester ($25k sticker http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/635055163/overview/).

Saving money is always good so I don't really need anything new, just would prefer reliable, good value, and sufficient cargo space to move things like big TVs and bookshelves.

Does the generic "go get a Prius" advice really not apply for people who hate driving and don't do it much at all?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

IRQ posted:

Selling all your furniture and such every year is silly and super wasteful. If that's your lifestyle then it might be in your best interests to by a compact like a Mazda3, Focus/Fiesta, etc, or something larger but rock solid like a Prius, and tow it behind a rented truck.

It's not silly or wasteful at all. I just don't invest much in physically large material goods. Craigslist makes it really easy to sell things for at least as much as I bought them after a year's use. For the past few years I've averaged a net loss after reselling all my furniture, bike, household stuff, etc. of about $200/year, including the stuff that goes to Goodwill and I re-buy at the next town's Goodwill. That's less than renting a U-Haul for a cross-country trip. In fact, since I was out of town for two months on business at the end of my lease before this upcoming move, I was able to fit everything I own into a 4x5 storage locker, end my lease early, and save $2700 in rent.

Anyway, the Internet says a Prius with seats down has about 40 cubic feet of space, which is a lot more than the Accord's 15 that I've used for my last few moves, so maybe that will be enough.

I'll probably just get a Prius and people who want to mock me for having an ugly car or being "smug" about the environment can bite me.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
Is there actual testing somewhere that says snow tires are worth a drat? I've only used them some, but that amount matched what I'd always heard, which is that they're Bad. Meanwhile, the thread seems down on AWD, which I've found to be Good.