Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDM05
Sep 28, 2004

Dillon, Texas
Home of the panthers
Hi, so I've had a common problem with my past few cars, bent tire rods. I know that hitting potholes and curbs don't help things any, and they have all been 100k+ mileage cars that I've probably pushed a bit too hard. No racing or anything, but I could be kinder.

This problem has crept up again, is this simply a matter of driving better? Or is there anything to look for in a new car specs, additional feature, or aftermarket parts to help prevent this further?

Budget: Budget
New or Used: Used unless I can find a 3k-clunker-trade-in deal.
Body style: compact/mid-size sedan.
Uses: Suburban/city commuting. Needs enough trunk for tool bags.
Aspects: See above. Low budget & efficient MPG.

PS: Found This site (on the car I'd love but dunno if it's right). It has a fuel-cost-per-year right on the site and that's wonderful for me, I might even go as far as to suggest it for the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDM05
Sep 28, 2004

Dillon, Texas
Home of the panthers

Weinertron posted:

If you keep bending tie rod ends, keep fixing them. The only way to bend tie rods is to hit things. If a car has decent alignment and no other broken suspension components, a new car will bend tie rods just as easily as an old one.

The cheapest option is definitely going to be to fix whatever you are driving right now if it only has a bent tie rod end. If you keep hitting curbs and breaking them, you could get a jack and jackstands and learn to replace them yourself. You could be getting old used cars which have bad tie rods already, in which case replacing them will make sure they don't break again without abuse. They do go bad with natural wear and tear anyway.

Edit: If you are bending inner tie rods, quit crashing into things quite so hard. That's a harder, more expensive repair.

Dunno about the old ones, this one was an Outer. My car also needs 4 new tires soooooo....