Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Going to see a 2006 Nissan Xterra today. Any weak points I should look out for?

5 recalls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

I'm driving a KIA Soul with 2 kids as a rental for few more days. I'm surprised how much I like it. The handling is my favorite part but my kids are very young and I imagine it would start feeling a bit cramped if they were older than 5.

Things I like:
Road handling. This model has Eco, Sport, and Normal but I imagine these have to do with fuel and power more than anything
Good view in front and sides, blind spots are very small
Spedometer looks really modern. Kinda hard to explain but I don't feel like I'm staring at a plastic wall with dials, it looks pitch black and all I see is floating lights. see image below

Things I don't like:
Engine looks cramped, I'd hate to have to replace anything beyond an alternator. However being a rental I haven't looked from the bottom
Some of the internal pieces feel cheap to me, there's a big huge black styrofoam insert in the trunk.

Not sure what year I'm driving but looks like this, some other images on google suggest that older models don't have this layout.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

take me you ANIMAL posted:

I just paid to get fixed and it cost me $1500 to get everything done (all brakes, fluids, a bearing on the rear axle.)

You need to get your hands dirty or make friends with a mechanic. I dunno about the other 6k but most of your repairs sound really easy. Brakes and fluids should be child's play.

Most of the cars you mentioned are at or approaching 10 years old and I would expect more minor repairs to start popping up. Find a cheaper way to keep up with those or get newer vehicles. I'd keep the Toyota/Scion and look to move the rest.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Thank you. He actually showed me the title when I looked at the thing and sent me pictures of it afterward. I don't know if he's playing dumb or just actually dumb.

He's already tipped his hand by admitting he bought the car to resell. Back out ASAP unless you like flipped cars and mystery titles. That fee is incredibly high hot drat; get a $500+ discount or walk away.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Treefingers posted:

Hey guys! I'm looking to buy my second car, and I just started test driving a few in my area. I don't have a huge budget, but a local dealer has a 2008 Acura TL with 82k miles that I kind of fell in love with. I know it's older, but I just loved the way it looks and drove. Is there any reason to steer clear of this car? Also, 2012-2014 Volkswagen Passats with ~60,000 miles. Yea or Nay?

That 2008 Acura TL sounds like a sweet deal around $9,000. $10,000 probably fine too with that mileage.

I don't know if Passats still want their timing chain/belt replaced but I saw one self destruct because it wasn't done at the exact recommended mileage. I did a little google search and it seems like not only do they still require it, but I got quite a lot of youtube videos results on broken tensioners. MAYBE if they have records for service recently but its unlikely as 60k miles wouldn't exactly qualify. Personally I'd steer clear.

quote:

2.0T FSI Models: The most recent factory recommend interval is 110,000 miles.

quote:

1.8T 20 Valve Models: The most recent factory recommend interval is 75,000 miles.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 18, 2018

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

turing_test posted:

Wow, the Niro gets awesome gas mileage! I'll definitely look into it. I was thinking Honda mostly for reliability and resale value but I know that Kia has come a long way.

Wife's friend had a Honda CRV but her husband forced her into a Niro for MPG. She liked the Honda more. I'd test drive them both if you have time before deciding. That being said the Hyundai warranty is incredible.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Not sure what's with that sticker. But today I did learn the last part of the VIN is the serial number so my guess would be it comes like that from the factory but I can't get google to confirm.

CornHolio posted:

I don't know what to tell my brother to do. His girlfriend wants him to trade it in and get something new(er), but overall that'd be the more expensive option, unless his engine is about to explode.

Rough. Maybe you can get the word out around town that you need a hobbyist to put a new transmission in? After that; fix the timing issue ASAP. If he still doesn't trust the car after being fixed, sell.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

psst friend ICE is dead too

How's that Tesla stock doing?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

I'm just talking about battery cars that face the following challenges:
Take forever to charge
Batteries are expensive and degrade
to a smaller extent, Limited range

Hybrids seem cool though I guess; I bought one. I'm more interested to see more how hydrogen cars shake out.

shovelbum posted:

CO2 is a near term existential threat

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Hmm, you don't think I'll spend $3k in repairs after the original warranty expires? I'm seriously asking, this isn't snark. I haven't purchased the warranty yet.

The $0 deductible 8 year 125k warranty was $3.1k. It's Mopar, not a third party. I didn't buy yet, but got quotes from out of state dealers who don't charge fees/tax listed in Jeep forums.

My co-worker got one of those 8 years and it immediately came in handy when the trans. started making a noise before a long road trip.

I think they said it has 35k miles or something just outside of the factory warranty. I'd get it if I were in your shoes.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Maybe something with body damage at that price? I got an Xterra for $3800 and kinda fits what you're talking about but mine is 2wheel drive, not 4. Tows 4,500lb or so and I sleep with the backseat down often.

Replace the radiator though, pretty commonly contaminates the ATF with coolant.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 10, 2018

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

You can get a Toyota Yaris with a manual transmission. Weird enough for ya? Completes the hatchback checkbox too.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

incogneato posted:

Internet Says Subaru but also Not Subaru

Forester would probably be a good mix for how much city driving you're planning. However for what you'll pay around here; I'd just get a Toyota. I don't know specifically about Rav4/4Runner but they're Toyotas so it's a no-brainer. Only other thing that comes to mind is Ford Explorer which my co-worker swears by.

Jeep Renegade? No, would be an awful choice if you want reliability.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

I never knew that and it should be the other way around if anything since a glass panel will let some light through at all times.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Biff Rockgroin posted:

With the Versa, I've been reading that they seemingly ALL have major transmission issues, which is something I don't want to deal with, but, and I admit this probably sounds idiotic, I'm seeing them all over the place for very cheap so I'm curious, would it be safe buying an '08 or '09 with higher mileage rather than say, a 2015 with low mileage (sub 80k)? My reasoning on that is that from reading it seems like transmission problems tend to occur around the 60-80k mile mark, so an older model with higher mileage would more likely have had the transmission replaced.

If you can drive and find a manual transmission Versa you'd be golden. Whatever you do don't buy one with a CVT transmission, Nissan's CVTs are the worst in the bunch. Wikipedia says they also came with a 4 speed automatic, check the fluid and test-shift as much as possible imo.

If you can spring for the Fit or a Toyota you'd probably be better off in the long run. Hell checkout what hatchbacks KIA and Hyundai have in your price range.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

take me you ANIMAL posted:

I also found a auction house for cars that is copart.com that are requesting an ID to be able to register and bid on hail damaged cars.

Anyone have any advice on this? We are just trying to help get her a car that can get her to and from work until she can get out from underwater on her last loan.

copart car's will likely need a tow or transport home. The battery will basically always be dead, and I think they don't have any plates. They'll also salvage titles when it comes to hail damage. Dunno how frequent their auctions are but she'll also have to wait for one.

I'd recomend searching Facebook marketplace or craigś͇͍͍̼̯l͎i̷̮̖̝̭̯s̛͚͕t̞̩̰

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

.Z. posted:

Impreza/Crosstek: Found it to a be nice ride, I liked it's driver assist features, and it has AWD. But the lack of power is annoying and I'm concerned about some of the reports of cracking windshields + cost to replace due to Eyesight.

This struck me as odd because I've never paid more than $200 for a new windshield. I googled a little and it seems like if you communicate that your Subaru has eyesight they can make sure they get you the right glass.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Guinness posted:

I've been hearing that Tesla currently has multi-month waiting periods for service, especially minor things like QC defects. They've been so focused on scaling up their manufacturing that their servicing capacity and parts availability has not kept up. And of course there's really no one else other than Tesla that can do servicing.

I was driving past an auto-body place the other day and saw 4 Teslas parked next to each other obviously requiring work. I just kinda lol'ed to myself imagining how long they've been parked there. Wish I had grabbed a picture because the dash video is long gone.

Paradoxish posted:

She wants something dirt cheap. Like, under $3k dirt cheap. She likes SUVs.

Worn to hell Hyundai Santa Fe or Nissan Xterra/Pathfinder? I did a search and around here that price returns mostly 200k miles+. I'd keep an eye out for a lightly damaged KIA Soul if she counts those as an SUV.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

KillHour posted:

1. Exhaust note
2. Super car feel / exclusivity
3. Powah
4. Luxury
5. If it's a new car from a not-Italian Marquis, Android Auto (sorry BMW)
Bonus: V12

Comedy ideas:
Put a v12 in a fisker
Find the most luxury slingshot on the continent (GM Ecotec 2.4L DOHC 4 Cylinder, lol nvm)

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 11, 2019

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

I like Facebook Marketplace if you want to buy private party. I think there are a number of dealerships on there too.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Take a look at Facebook marketplace if you're scraping the bottom of the barrel on Craigslist.

Didn't see the ideal budget but you've got a lot of options with 6k. How about a KIA Soul? They're pretty fun and popular, don't have much downtime that I'm aware of; I don't think many make it to 200k miles though. Get a Honda if he wants something super long term.

I found https://www.carfax.com/value/ today and imo it beats the hell out of KellyBlueBook which prices stuff way too high and all over the place.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

I don't know jack about Genesis but if you offer 2.5k to all the 2008ish Infiniti sedan owners you can find, one will say yes.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

I'd at least check that Acura TSX out. Seems like there would be a hidden reason for being so cheap but I don't know a thing about hail. Everything else seems too expensive to me for a sedan.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

22 Eargesplitten posted:

He wants to be a car guy, but doesn't take care of his cars.

If you take an Infiniti to a shop for anykind of work expect to pay a lot. Otherwise if you're signing up to do his maint/repairs, it's manageable.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Presenting Nipples posted:

I'm looking hard at this car. I am curious if I can talk the dealer down to $8K, the KBB is $16K; however the title is rebuilt.

It seems the general recommendation is to take it to a mechanic and body shop before buying. Anything else I should be doing? Am I an idiot (probably)?

fyi here is how it looked at salvage auction:

In the other pictures, you can see the driver airbag was deployed. I personally would check it out closely in person before buying and if possible verify the airbag was replaced.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Presenting Nipples posted:

I've kind of settled on the thread's earlier recommendation of a GTI after doing a lot of research.

I'd check out the rails on that Scion and go with that over VW in a heartbeat. You could probably make a fuss over the crashbar or title and get a 1k discount or so. But I'm kinda in love with that coupe style and repair job. If you can detect bondo on the hood there's another discount for ya.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

I had a 2009 Vue and it was pretty poo poo but probably an ok Grandma car. Hybrid 4cyl so it was also completely underpowered.

nwin posted:

Hereís our wants:

Price: under 27k
Type: suv (we have a kid and thatís what my wife prefers to drive)
Wants: apple CarPlay integration, good visibility, maybe something that doesnít require an expensive windshield if it gets cracked, blind spot monitoring.

2007-2017 Tiguan 2L TDI 4cyl

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Sounds like a toogoodtobethewholetruth deal to me. If its a private sale bring an engine scanner. Run the VIN through carfax.com/value if you need more baseline price

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Ideally bring a block tester for a Subaru of that period...

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

You can get a 2nd generation Scion XB for 4-5K if you want a wagon, 2007+. Less for the 1st generation.

If you want an SUV you may be able to find a Ford Escape in that price range.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Been dumping too much repair money into our 2006 Odyssey these past few years

Body Style: 4-door with 3rd row seating.

Ford Flex may be a good fit. They're mechanically sound, have a nice interior, but the trunk space may be a tight.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

When water gets in the wiring, it often won't kill the circuit immediately, but it'll start corroding and 1,2,3 years down the road the car could have unbelievable electrical gremlins.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

FistEnergy posted:

If you like the Kona but (like me) you think it looks a bit too weird due to the prominent plastic wheel wells, the Thunder Gray paint matches the plastic very well. I'm very happy I went with this option.

https://ibb.co/ScScTNn

This looks cool and I think you are cool too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

BigRoman posted:

I'm putting a little over 20% down on a 60 month loan at a pretty decent rate. I'm confident I can make the monthly payments on this.

If you need to finance a car for more than 36 months; you can't afford that vehicle. imo

Edit: Don't take my word for it. Go see how much your bank/CU will pre-qualify you for.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 28, 2020