System Message

The forum store is down for maintenance and should reopen in the afternoon/evening (Central time). Thanks again to all the beta testers!
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'm gonna jump back a bit to the CTS-V discussion from before. I know it tends to eat rear diffs and tires, and the interior is a bit poo poo, but beyond that is there really anything that would make it an awful DD?

It's a bit bigger than what I wanted but goddamn I love that car.

edit: I have to buy a car within the next week and there's G35s available 24/7, so I'm still sort of looking at the more fun cars while I still have time.

I had a first gen CTS-V that I drove for long trips (~5 hours). Its fine, put that big engine into the super tall 6th gear, turn up the stereo and its very relaxed. The suspension was firm but not punishing, I really liked the car my only issues where:

1) POS rear end. I didn't have mine long enough to fail but it made noises when I traded it in and would hop so hard sometimes it felt like the axle would just fly off. They did sell kits that claimed to help that, so maybe look into it. Or just never drive it like you stole it (its hard to resist)

2)The stick feels very mushy and non-sporty. I read that if you change out the rubber bushings it feels much better, with a short throw mod removing that problem completely.

The best part though is the loving brakes. I had a hard stop once with a motorcycle in front of me and I think if I had been driving any other car short of true sports car I would have taken out the guy's back wheel. Made me feel very safe to have that stopping power on the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

What is the protocol for buying a car from a dealer if you aren't financing? I'm like 5 years out from a buy so I'm saving now.

I would probably go for a CPO or maybe new, I've heard that you actually get better deals these days if you are financing versus just showing up with cash in hand but I'd obviously like to avoid interest payments. Is it possible to negotiate based on some horrifying APR and then pay down the principle 24 hours later or some kind of trick like that, or is it better to just say "I will pay cash" and keep it simple?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Weinertron posted:

so my parents have financed cars with "zero down payment" and then paid them off in full in the first month in order to get the best prices and incentives from dealers.

This is what I was thinking. Let the dealer assume they'll make their money back in interest, then pay down everything right away. Does this cause any problems in regards to repeat business or servicing? Basically, do they get pissed?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Weinertron posted:

Sales guy won't get pissed, he's moving cars. Someone at the dealer might get bugged, but my parents have done this at the same dealer twice and they were still thrilled to sell him the second car the exact same way.

It's a business transaction, only what is written down counts. You're not deceiving anyone, you are taking a loan for a car that has no early payment penalty and then exercising your ability to pay early.

Good to know. I only ask because I've been eyeballing Mini Coopers but there is only one dealership close to me and I'd rather not get the death stare whenever I bring it in for warranty work.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

After driving and mulling over a bunch of cars, I settled on an '07 Mustang GT. It has a whole pile of performance mods, and about 100k (km) on the clock.

The thing is, my financing from the bank was just approved today, so I haven't bought it yet. I'm still waiting for the owner to cough up service records. While all this is going on I realized I could get a 2011 Camaro with 16k for only a few thousand more. It still has a factory warranty and hasn't had much time to get abused.

This is something of a follow-up to a few pages ago. I realized driving stick in my situation gets tiring fast, taking out the CTS-V, and the new American muscle cars were just more comfortable than the G37s I was also eyeing.

Thoughts?

Mods are generally a big red flag but it depends what you mean. An exhaust, grill delete and cold air intake is a different animal from someone who has gotten inside the motor or swapped rear ends or something.

There are a million Mustangs out there, I'd be careful.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Body kit, Roush exhaust, Saleen suspension, CAI, chip. Owner is an old Persian guy who drove it to work in summers (though who knows what his kids were up to). Good condition, but there was some creaking in the suspension that I need to check out.

Stay away. Too many unknowns for you take the risk for such a common car. Surely there is a similar year mileage option without the risk.

That's my opinion anyway, if you're going into it prepared then more power to you.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I did some soul-searching and backed off from it today. Gonna keep looking.

Good call. You can always mod it yourself if you get the bug.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

you could always get a trade in quote, and then a repair quote and see which is better.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Since you've already got the Jetta, a B5 Audi S4 with the 2.7l twin turbo should be right up your alley, you can get them for around your budget, they're AWD, and you surely can wrench on them to go faster!

I can't remember if it was this thread or AI but that car was singled out as a horrifying mess.

VVV Haha I guess it was "A Joke" but who can tell.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 2, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Weinertron posted:

anything with an LS1 is perfect for that if you want a big heavy GT car. I'm sure you can find some 4th generation V8 Camaros, Firebirds, and Trans Ams around $8k pretty easily.

One caveat to the this is that those cars have some truly terrible ergonomics and interiors. I got motion sickness riding in a camaro because the windshield is at such an odd angle and theres poo poo like a giant hump in the passenger side foot well for some reason. You might as well gut the thing because then at least you're carrying less weight.

You're basically buying a great engine with the rest of the car thrown in for free.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

Works for me :colbert:

Seriously like everyone is saying I need cars that do/have X/Y/Z or I'll die or whatever, and I'm thinking back to how perfectly adequate that $3000 Kia Sephia I had when I was super poor would be for what I need right now. Seriously I need to drive the drat thing 4 miles a day, and if it breaks down I have mutliple other options to get to where I need to go. The things that make cars good also make them cost more than $10k :P

I never thought I'd say this about an American car but if I was looking for a car that I wanted to keep a long time and drive more than 10 minutes a day, I think I'd get a 2013 Dodge Dart, the reviews are glowing as far as handling and driving it goes, it has cool electronic features and I can get it in creamsicle :swoon: I'm still holding out for an affordable electric car though.

If you're really going to use the car that little, is it really worth buying anything thats not just a decently maintained econobox? Its not like you're going to get a chance to enjoy or hate anything about the car in that short amount of time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ganon posted:

How bad of an idea is a Ferrari Testarossa? '87-88 for $40k.. :getin:

buy buy buy

then spend spend spend on maintenance

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Making misrepresentations to your insurance company about those facts could greatly jeopardize your coverage in case of an accident/claim and are likely to be illegal at the same time. Do not do this.

The two most likely scenarios: they'll do some digging and refuse to pay because of "whatever reason" and you're up poo poo creek. Or, they'll just pay out because the time/money spent fighting you and future dollars lost when they lose your business isn't worth it.

Its pretty much impossible to predict which way it will go.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

my parents had a 2 seater and a normal sized sedan for my entire childhood and never had any problems. I was an only kid and never had gear intensive hobbies so maybe its different with more children or if you're hauling around bicycles or football gear but I'm always skeptical about "needing" a huge vehicle for children.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

We also never drove more than like 3 hours and no one in my family is particularly enormous. If you've got nordic blood or plan on road tripping a lot then I could def understand needing more space even if you've got 1 child.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I drove a rental fusion back 2010 and it was pretty ok outside of the transmission which seemed to run a RNG to decide when/what gear to shift into. Then again I drive a big SUV and was entranced by the fact that it could synch with my ipod and understand me yelling at it....so low standards.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

My friend bought an e46 m3, his dream car, and he hated it. He bought a year old mustang a little later and loved it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

its very possible, likely even, that Mitsu won't exist in the US market much longer. I dont know if thats what hes talking about but they've been 1 fiscal quarter away from being gone for a while now.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

It generally seems like buying a hybrid or electric is more about your preference and making a statement than hard economic benefit. Although I would love to not have to get gas or go less just because it's one fewer errand.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I have heard that you can strike clauses you don't like in the paperwork and then sign the paperwork. So if you dont like the fees, you can strike through them then sign for remaining amount. They will, of course probably want to print a new contract but it seems like a good way to make sure you don't sign what you don't mean to and a way to push back if they're pressuring.

Is that true or Internet talk?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I am a fan of the six in the mustang but if you're going for a challenger, spring for the V8, its really the soul of the vehicle. If you're looking at a musclecar you are not just operating from a BFC perspective of getting a reliable appliance and you will regret not going for the full experience.

If you aren't interested in the R/T, I think something like the accord coupe would be a better choice.

Challengers have been on the market for a while and there haven't been any substantial changes, you could probably find a good condition older V8 for the same price as a newer V6.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

pokie posted:

Oh, I am a dumbass. V6 doesn't even come with manual. For some reason I thought that R/T was V6 too. It's not. I actually meant to ask about the difference between R/T and SRT8. It's a difference of 100 hp and $10k. I could afford it, I guess, but am not sure it would be worth it.

You might find that the R/T is enough and the SRT8 is overkill. 10k for 100 extra horses is cool until you think about the 20 seconds of every year you'll care about that, unless you really care then go for it. However, the SRT8 has larger brakes, which I think is an underrated improvement and I believe a different suspension which may ride better or you might find it too harsh. Test drive both and see if the SRT8 inspires you.

Also, you could always get an R/T and then put some of the difference towards aftermarket parts, get a growly exhaust or an aluminum skull shaped shift knob. It might be more fun to own a slower R/T that you've customized a little over a faster but factory stock SRT8. Buying car parts is about the same as putting your money in a pile and lighting it on fire, but as long as you don't go insane I think its justifiable as part of your entertainment budget.

That last part is some of my own bias because I was toying with the idea of buying a challenger R/T and doing some minor appearance and exhaust stuff.

http://www.mopar.com/catalog/

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

Proposed Budget: 25k

New or Used: Preferably new

Body Style: 3+ doors, compact

How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work, not especially long. Regular driving.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Luxury in name? No. Do I want a bunch of gizmos? Yep.

What aspects are most important to you?: I'm moving to downtown in Chicago within the next year and I want something significantly smaller and more easily maneuverability around the city. I would also prefer it still look a little cool.

Also, nav, backup camera, heated seats, blutooth, my car talking to me, etc...

What about the Kia Soul? Does anyone have an opinion on that?

The Dodge Dart is a new compact car with very well reviewed technology. Maybe browse over to their site and check it out.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

your best bet is to go sit in/drive some cars at various dealerships around town and see what you find most comfortable. Its really hard to say what you might prefer.

The posters here can probably help narrow it down once you know what you like.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Fair enough. I know precisely dick all about cars, so I was rather hoping some makes or models might be better known for being more comfortable for bigger guys (okay, fatasses) like me.

its kinda personal preference. I remember there was a goon who was like 6ft plus 250-ish pounds who drove a Mini and loved it. I am skinny and tall but find the driving position in my giant SUV kind of uncomfortable because to fit my long legs, I have to reach a little with my arms to hold the wheel or I can make my arms comfortable and cramp up my legs, it gets uncomfortable on long drives.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Actually that's nice to know, because I like the look of the Toyota (scion here I guess?) iQ but dismissed it on account of it being small and me being big. Guess I can undismiss it, at least until I sit in it :v:

the only caveat is if you frequently have passengers. You might fit fine but doing so turns the car into a 3 seater. Which is fine if you don't carry people very often but maybe something to consider if you often need a 4th seat.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ingenium posted:

To be frank, what I love in a sports car is the look, but it might come at a bit too much of a cost.

I would highly recommend against a sports car for you, because you aren't going to be looking at it but you will be driving it and living with it. Dont buy a car to impress other people and then hate it, thats dumb.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

The general advice here is that its really difficult to make up in gas money what you spend in the buying/selling process. It usually only makes sense if you've got a really old car that gets very bad gas mileage (imagine 80's suburban).

If you've got the car paid off, I would def not recommend leasing something else and I would imagine any buying/selling will either be a marginal gain for a lot of hustling or a loss.

If you aren't driving it very much, its in good shape and its paid off, I would argue just keep it.

Also you might be experiencing something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs#Loss_aversion_and_the_sunk_cost_fallacy

you overpaid (in retrospect) so you want to fix it, but that money is spent and doing more isn't going to help.

I'm not an expert though, someone may have a better argument and say sell.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 11, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Thats what a test drive is for, see what you like since a lot comes down to preference rather than actual superiority. For what its worth, I haven't heard anything negative about a Fit and many people seem to love theirs with a passion bordering on illogical.

The Subaru probably gets worse gas mileage due to the extra weight of the four wheel drive. If you don't care about that, I wouldn't go with that option.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I had a crew cab short bed F-150 for a time and its fairly handy. Plus, fitting four people plus their stuff was more useful to me than more room for stuff but only 1 passenger. Although you could probably accomplish the same thing by folding down/removing an SUV's rear seats.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Don't get a smart car. Its got terrible ratings in all categories and is far outclassed by all the other sub compacts on the market.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I've got a 2012 Dodge Avenger as a rental right now and I'm really trying to find anything positive about it.

ya but now imagine it doesn't have a back seat.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I tried to find the article but Autoblog ran a story on the top cars bought by people in heavy debt or had bad credit. They took the list bought by those people, subtracted the top selling models overall and the avenger was number 1.

The idea was that no one actually wants an avenger but they buy them because they cant afford or qualify to finance something else.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

compton rear end terry posted:

Mustang
Pros - :911:, big aftermarket
Cons - not good in the twisties

Two points:

first: modern mustangs handle decently well. Good enough that i doubt it will slow you down.

second: pro fixes the con. Some fairly cheap aftermarket parts can get a car that handles as well as basically anything you can realistically drive on the street and carry people/things in.

It probably won't match your miata just due to weight and dimension but its no boat. Personal anecdote but I have a friend that just sold his 350z for a 5.0 mustang because he found it more fun.

I've driven both cars and the 350 is pretty drat cool but the mustang has that "hand of god" torque curve that is pretty hard to turn down.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

as an aside: your expense difference between premium and regular fuel is going to be pretty negligible unless you're doing some pretty crazy miles. So don't make that a big deciding factor, especially if you somehow end up choosing a more expensive vehicle because of it. (this usually only happens when people are considering a hybrid).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

skipdogg posted:

For some cars it isn't. Especially smaller more fuel efficient cars that tend to be on the less expensive side (under 25K). Those are holding value really well.

Other cars though are still taking a big hit. I've been looking at CPO Taurus SHO's and Lincoln MKS EcoBoost models, and the Lincolns have taken a huge hit. 55K MSRP cars going for 27K barely 3 years old with 35K miles on them. The SHO's are hovering in the 27 to 30K range and most of them MSRP'd at 44.5K or so.

I was looking at SHO's and ya its crazy how much car you can get for comparatively cheap. However, I think there is a big upgrade between model years (whenever they changed the grill and put in bigger brakes) so I can see that causing a big price difference.

If I could I think I would buy a SHO, put it on police steelies with an aftermarket exhaust and chip and roll around like robocop.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I want to do a straight trade of my current compact car for a light duty truck. I don't want to put any cash down, just a trade only.

How does this affect the purchase of the new car from a dealer? Would i be better off selling the old car private party and just paying cash instead?

yes unless the time and annoyance is enough that you'd be willing to take a decent hit as basically a convenience fee by trading it in.

I also really doubt you'd be able to swing a no-cash trade unless you're talking really new for fairly old and leaving a lot of money to the dealer.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

You seem like a guy with good spending habits. Have you considered waiting and saving the difference to cover the car? Or maybe go CPO.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

learning to drive manual is like a one weekend task to get basically competent and like a month in its subconscious.

Also as long as you aren't insane and jam it into 1st at 70mph or something, the most you're going to do is shorten the clutch life while learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Fiat abarth? Small zippy might be a good fit.