Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Proposed Budget: 10-20k CAD
New or Used: either, but don't want the new car premium if I don't need it
Body Style: 2/4 door
How will you be using the car?: commuting about 50 km a day, occasional long trips out of town up to 600 km, driving in Southern Ontario snow
What aspects are most important to you?mostly FE, reliability, and something I can show up to a meeting with that doesn't look like a transportation appliance. Good climate control is basically all I want. Maybe an aux jack for my phone.

So having read the past 230 pages I figure I'm in line for a bunch of vehicles like a civic or an elantra. I'm having trouble narrowing down what to go sit in at the dealer. The Mazda 3 sounds like it has problems with snow and salt rust.

The last time I drove manual was in Scotland 11 years ago. I'm sure it's all part of the driving experience, but I think I'd prefer an automatic. I'm not entirely against relearning however.

My current car is a 2003 Buick that just got backed into by a mystery truck and a piston failed shortly after. I'll need a new one soon, as this busted piece of poo poo is not good for business.

Thanks fellas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

nm posted:

If a civic or elantra meets the requirements so does a prius. A prius also still sort of defies class lines, ao if you're worried about looking like a filthy poor it works.

Actually, I just want something that is less stodgy than the prius. I understand the appeal, but I'd rather get a coupe or something that is a little more fun.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I relearned to drive a manual and now I kind of want a new Yaris sedan (the Mazda2/Scion iA one). It's relatively new, but is there anything wrong with it?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I took a Prius 2013 for a test drive and hated it. The frugal side of me is screaming to buy the Prius. I took a Civic EX and a Mazda 3 hatch out and they were both great. I'm just not sure that the Mazda3 is going to like Toronto winters. The Civic also seemed to have an unreasonable 2k premium on it for an extra 30,000km and just being a little more run down.

I dunno, I've always lucked out on buying creampuff cars for 2k and now I really want something almost new - but I want it to be a good car. The auto Mazda3 hatch is what I'm leaning towards on based on this thread and pure emotion. Bad idea, good idea?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Yeah, I heard about the rust issues from car guys, the dealer, and my dad. If the rust issues are on the Japanese built stuff, and Mexico builds just as good, then I should buy. I like the way it looks inside and outside, and the price is right. Are there any issues I should be aware of on 2014 or newer Mazda3 hatches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Ok, so I have my eye on a 2015 Mazda3 hatch that has 23,000km on it, basically looks brand new except for a few dents the dealer is going to take out Tuesday or Wednesday, probably from car doors opening into the side or something. One owner, accident free.

The sticker price on the window was $16,995 and he agreed to 15k with some free junk thrown in, then I went home to sleep on it.

Does it sound like a good deal to you guys? The brakes failed on my beater and I really need a car.