Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Any opinions on the Buick Verano lease deal out there?

It's $2,200 down, $200 a month, for 24 months, with 12,000 miles a year.

I'm in the situation where I may be moving back to New York (and thus not need a car) by the time that lease expires, otherwise I'd consider buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

nm posted:

I don't want to go all BFC on you, but blowing $20k when you have no savings is a bad idea.
Have you considered hatchbacks and small wagons? That would give you more bang for the buck and would likely be more fun to drive/
Depending on price, I'd look at the Mazda 3 (maybe a Mazdaspeed) or even a fit (the Internet says they fit a cello).

Not really; assuming he has a decent down payment, a reliable car is just one of those things you have to get when you have a real job.

I agree on the Fit. Good car in that price range.

The Mazda, maybe not. Check out the hatch, but you're probably going to run up against that 20k limit. Truecar has the manual i hatchback at $19.1k... chances are tax and tags and fun stuff like "doc fees" would push that closer to $21k.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Anybody got the scoop on Labor Day sales? I'm in the market right now (your basic, reliable Civic/Corolla type of vehicle) and up until now had convinced myself that new cars were overpriced (although I'm finding that that's a thin margin with Civics and Corollas because depreciation is so low) and now my family is trying to convince me that I can save big by looking for deals this Labor Day weekend, that dealers will be dying to get rid of extra stock so they can make room for '13 models. Since buying a car doesn't work the same as buying a TV (30% off!) it's pretty hard to research how much I'd be saving without going to a dealer first. Is the Labor Day hype true? Any experiences either way?

There might be some truth to it. I just picked up a Mazda 3 last week for $2,800 below invoice.

There are some pretty good lease deals out there too.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Weinertron posted:

I would greatly appreciate some new-car buying advice on how people pull off these deals. I previously had thought that economy cars and cars with very few options had less wiggle room on the price, but then my dad picked up a 2013 Kia Soul+ for $1200 under invoice and I have no idea what a good price target is anymore.

I'm doing my best to research, but have no clue how to pick a price target because there's such huge variance. How can you know when it's OK to walk up and offer them 25% under their sticker on it like you did there and when an offer like that will get you laughed out?

There are some good first steps. Check out truecar.com, carsdirect.com, the Edmunds "prices paid" forums, Edmunds incentives page, and cars.com. You want to gauge the market for how hard or soft the model you're looking at is.

From there you can get a sense of what a good deal is on the car.

Then you do what the poster above mentioned, start playing the dealers off of each other. Ideally you can do all of this via email, but I've found that sometimes it's worth going in to local dealers that don't do internet sales and lowballing them with offers that you did find on the net. But make sure they don't waste your time, as they would like to.

Have deep knowledge of what car you want, what incentives are out there, and what other people are paying. That way, while you might not necessarily get a great deal (no one's getting a Fit for $3k under invoice, for instance), at least you'll be sure these assholes don't rip your face off.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm trying to figure out my buying strategy. Should I immediately contact dealers, and say "I've got $16,000, what can you do?" or should I go in first, and then talk price, so I can walk out if they don't meet my expectations?

What you should consider is trying to figure out a general idea of what the car is going for in your area and what the incentives are. Check out Edmunds, CarsDirect, and Truecar.

Even then, hunt around, because you should be able to beat all three of those sites' prices without too much effort. Do as much web research as you can, and try to cast a wide net. Some of the bigger dealers have their inventory online with non-bullshit prices (though many more still want to show you MSRP). I ended up getting my Mazda3 one state over, but I saved $1,000+ over the next best priced local dealer.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Thats actually really good advise from all of you, I'll keep it in mind. The first thing that came to my mind when I was thinking of a new car was a Mazda 3 and I may stick with it, I'm just going to avoid the local Mazda dealership here and drive out to the one the next town over and hope the salesmen aren't as (at least obviously) predatory. That being said, I'm probably going to drive my old Camry for another year and just keep my eyes and ears open.

Where do you live, roughly? I might be able to direct you to a pretty reasonable Mazda dealer.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Claverjoe posted:

How far is the weekend use? Is a scooter or a motorcycle practical for your needs?

I'd just like to second that this option is worth at least exploring. If you can get over the stigma (though it seems to be declining) of a scooter, it sounds almost exactly like what you need.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Velius posted:

I suspect that 5 years ago I'd have bought an Accord, no questions asked. Now I'm not sure about much save that the options are much more extensive. I don't like the Korean options for weird political reasons, but aside from that I am open to suggestions.

You might want to take a look at these two lists to just get some rough ideas as to what you want, as your price range gives you a gigantic number of options. It's from US News, but they roughly track the thread consensus anyway.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Small-Cars/grid/overall/
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Midsize-Cars/grid/overall/

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kefit posted:

I'm concerned about figuring out what price I should pay and how easy it will be to resell the car in the future. Edmunds lists $15259 for private party sale on this vehicle, so the dealer price of $14,999 seems pretty good (I don't expect to get much if anything off this based on email conversations with the dealer). But that's without factoring in damage reported on the Carfax. Just how much of a potential black mark/impact on value am I dealing with here?

Have you compared that price with 2012s that might still be on the lot? For reference, I bought a 2012 3 with Skyactiv (though not the hatch) brand new at the end of August for less than $17k.

I would run from a used car, with damage, for $15k.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I'm planning to finance and for the 2010 the dealership offered 5.99% with payments at 440/month over 48 months and 330/month over 60 months on the list price with $1000 credit and $2000 down. I haven't talked with my bank or credit union yet but does that seem reasonable? And I'm hoping to get the price down to $14-14.5k but I didn't get into things that far. The other issue is the high residual value; a brand new model MSRP is $16980 and totals out to $18758 before tax with Honda financing.

Thoughts?

I like the Fit a lot. It's a solid, dependable car with good mileage, storage space, and it's easy to park. But given those horrendous (from the perspective of a buyer) used values, why not buy new? It gives you the peace of mind of knowing everything that happened to the car plus the full warranty.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Oxford Comma posted:

Goons don't want advice. They want people to validate their questionable decisions.

To be fair, it's not just goons. It's pretty much all advice-takers everywhere.

"I know what I want to do; can you please agree with me that I should do it?"

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Along those lines, there's a web site that will crunch the numbers for you and tell you whether or not your lease is a decent deal:

http://www.leaseguide.com/leasevalue-calc.cfm

When I was looking at various lease options, it seemed like if it wasn't a nationally advertised lease deal from the manufacturer it wasn't worth it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Redfont posted:

What's your opinion on salvage titles?

"No" in large font and bold lettering

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Dolash posted:

Speaking of suckers who want to buy cars for 1k...

Wait, the fuckin' thing runs? If you don't buy it, I will.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

IRQ posted:

Having just bought a used Mazda 3 this weekend (thanks thread!), you won't find a 2012 with low miles for under $20k either.

Sure you will; I bought a 2012 Skyactiv new for around $18k OTD.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

IRQ posted:

Automatic though? The shitlord boss at the dealership tried to sell me a new 2012 Mazda 3 for less than 20k (before all the other costs) but it was a manual. I can't drive stick so it was a no-go.

2012 Mazda3i Touring Auto.

The deals were definitely out there during the model year-end period. But from my experience the variation between dealers for a 3 was immense--like $4,000 between the lowest and highest price for the same model--so it might be worth shopping around if that's the car you want.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I'm looking for a manual myself, but what do you think of the car? I know it's what I'm getting, I'm just looking for the right price.

Sorry for not responding earlier.

I like the car quite a bit, though personally, if all things were equal, I would've gone with the Honda Fit. But all things weren't equal and the 3 was thousands of dollars cheaper. What they say is true, though, about it being pretty fun to drive for a compact.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

BobSaget posted:

The problem I am having is that I read all of this stuff saying that buying a new car is never a good idea financially.

This is the crux of your remorse, but luckily what you read is wrong.

Before the recession, saying "buying a new car is never a good idea financially" might've had a grain of truth to it. But ever since "cash for clunkers," the tightening of loan availability, and an overall fall in US median family income, the used car market has been absurdly hot. When I examined the options 6-9 months ago, I was shocked: fuel-efficient used cars that were 1-3 years old were selling at levels just below their new price, particularly Hondas.

So don't worry about it. You have a nice warranty, and assuming you can afford the payments, you'll do okay.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

iamnotcreative posted:

1. Dodge Dart
2. Ford Focus
3. Hyundai Elantra
4. Honda Civic

I think you're correct with the pros and cons of each--though Hyundai reliability seems statistically sound--and among those four it's largely a matter of pricing and taste. Personally I couldn't stand the Civic, but it's a respectable car. Consensus here is that you should check out the Sonic and Mazda 3, but if you've already eliminated them from your options that's fine.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

fanpantstic posted:

Ideas? Opinions? Magic bullet cars?

How often will you need that car after you move? Because it sounds like renting a uHaul and buying a bike might be more appropriate to your situation.

Unless you're mechanically inclined or have a mechanic that you trust implicitly it is difficult to ensure reliability on that budget of yours.

(Also, your avatar looks familiar but I can't place it. MAYAEWK?)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

You're setting yourself up to have buyer's remorse no matter what.

If you like the Fusion, have the money, and like the deal, pull the trigger. There's nothing obviously terrible about the car, and if money concerns aren't a big deal, I'd advise anyone who isn't a gear head to go new.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

skipdogg posted:

That's up to you. I personally like new cars and choose to spend a portion of my disposable income on them. It's not a smart financial decision academically speaking. The sweet spot is buying 2 to 3 year old used/cpo vehicles and dumping them after 2 to 3 years.

Is that true anymore? The used car market was ridiculous as of last year, and the depreciation hit on popular cars seemed so low as to justify buying new whenever possible.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

skipdogg posted:

For some cars it isn't. Especially smaller more fuel efficient cars that tend to be on the less expensive side (under 25K). Those are holding value really well.

Other cars though are still taking a big hit. I've been looking at CPO Taurus SHO's and Lincoln MKS EcoBoost models, and the Lincolns have taken a huge hit. 55K MSRP cars going for 27K barely 3 years old with 35K miles on them. The SHO's are hovering in the 27 to 30K range and most of them MSRP'd at 44.5K or so.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. That makes sense--I'd only really paid attention to compacts. Used Hondas were absurd.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It's going to come down to what you're personally happy with, but provided there isn't a 401k or IRA style tax penalty for withdrawal, I'd just sell investments and go into as little debt as possible.

There are, of course, no guarantees on investments, but I'm just not a fan of going into debt for luxuries.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Not much out there is paying more than 2% though. 5 year CD's are paying 1.5 to 1.8 right now...anything shorter than that is closer to 1%.

And you have to pay taxes on that interest.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Arkane posted:

I just leased a car and wondering if I got a good/decent/bad deal. Also wondering what I could have done better in the negotiation process. Cool to post that here? This seems to be the closest that I could find based on a search.

Agreed with others, the time to talk about it was before you made the deal.

quote:

With this, it seems like it is too easy to score an "excellent" or above. The current Acura TL nationwide deal ($319/month, $1499 down) scores an absurd 102.

Contrary to popular belief, it has been (and I think this will be ending within the next year or two) an excellent time to lease a car, particularly if it was a gas-sipper. The used market has been ridiculously hot, pushing up residual values, and nationally advertised deals were often pretty accommodative. That site might've been too lenient, but it's still good for measuring relative value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

CatchrNdRy posted:

Ok now I get 27,120.06 OTD for this Mazda6 (that includes a friggin 399 doc fee.) I'm not an exciting car person, unfortunately. I prefer the horsepower and excitement of personal finance and professional responsibility. I can't get a cool Mustang, I'd have to lift more and grow a mustache and everything.

Now I'm thinking if I can get 20K OTD for this 2012 Camry L with 18000 miles, I can just toss in a bunch of after market electronics.

27k for new 2014 mazda6, vs 20k for used Camry which will need some add-ons.....

Just buy new, you won't want to deal with this other poo poo.