Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So I own/owned a new 2008 Volkswagen 2 door GTI and I'm in need of a new car. Long story short, the car is missing.

The GTI was really really the first car that I really enjoyed. I like the compactness of it, the power and just the overall build quality was great to me. Little things like blinking mirrors were really cool. For the most part it was pretty reliable as well.

Now I'm looking for a 4 door. Safety is my number one concern (gonna be driving around a kid soon). I really like things like push to start, moon roof, power seats. I would ideally like the car to have a back up camera (girl friend drives it), blind spot checking. I can't own a full hybrid because I don't have a house to install one of those charger things.

I'm not stuck to any particular brand, just wondering what specific cars I should look at to do some research. Anything sub 50k total would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Guinness posted:

If you loved the GTI why not get a new 4-door GTI?

From what I can tell, it doesn't have all those cool features.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Guinness posted:

Sure it does, if you get the optional driver assistance package stuff.

Pretty much everyone these days is willing to sell you all the electronic nanny add-ons for a price.

Thanks! I didn't know that, I'll check it out tonight. If that's isn't an option that I like, any other brands? Hyundai seems to be becoming a bigger and better name.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Aside from the "ugh a Civic" non sense. Their Touring edition seems to be legit. Any reason why I should steer away from it?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Proposed Budget: $40K.
New or Used: New or pre-owned certified.
Body Style: 4-Door, station wagon, midsize or mini-SUV.
How will you be using the car? Daily driver, although we don't travel very far often.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I'm not too sure about a luxury vehicle, but I do want a car with some bells and whistles.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, reasonable amount of power, gizmos and decent reliability.
If you do not live in the U.S. I live in the US.

I've been doing a little research into a new car and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I currently drive a 2 door VW GTI and since my family is getting bigger, the GTI isn't going to work for us anymore. My wife and I really like the GTI because of how the car drives, it's quick, it has some oomph and was fairly reliable (something major pops-up every 3 years or so). I also liked that the car was fairly compact, 165.8″. It was also stupidly roomy in the trunk, since it was a hatchback, I've been looking at station wagons too. I wished when I purchased the GTI, I had more money for some tech and some other features.

I'm primarily interested in safety. I like features like lane assist, blind spot monitoring, back-up camera, per-collision breaking. Being semi compact is important as well, I live in the city and parking is terrible. I also want some "quality of life" features, power seats, moon roof, keyless start, things like that.

I've looked at the following, and interested in them in the following order...

Subaru Forester
Subaru Crosstrek
VW Alltrack
Audi Q3
VW Tiguan

Any suggestions for someone that stupidly overwhelmed?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

If you drive a GTI now, you’re never going to be able to deal with the Crosstrek’s gutlessness, trust me.

My friend is trying to convince me that it's not that bad. He going to let me borrow it for a week. I fear this from the Crosstrek and the Q3.

mariooncrack posted:

Subaru Outback? It's not that much bigger than the Forester.

The Forester is sorta long too, at 182.1", the Outback is longer at 189.6". I know I'm not going to find anything closer to the 165.8″ my GTI offers, but the difference is pretty significant.

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

Maybe try test driving the Hyundai Kona? I think it's similar in size to your current vehicle. The base model alone comes with lane keep, forward collision-avoidance assist, and driver attention warning. The Limited one will get you your luxuries like power tilt-and-slide sunroof, remote keyless entry and push button start along with a few more safety pick ups.

Thanks. I'll take a look, although as of right now, that interior doesn't look pretty.

Uthor posted:

I traded my GTI for a 2016 3-Series BMW wagon at around $30k. It's not as tossable and I miss the manual, but decently quick. It's really, really nice inside. Lots of space, but, strangely, not a lot of storage cubbies.

Edit: my mom and my cousin both had big engine problems with their Foresters. Anecdotal, I know.

My folks went with a Honda CR-V EX with the technology package that comes with remote start moon roof, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, low speed automatic braking, Android Auto/Car Play, etc. Really nice features for what they paid (slightly under $30k).

Guess the Rav4 just got a redesign that adds a lot of that stuff standard.

I remember you from the comic threads and your icon. We were GTI bros...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Drove my brother-in-law's Crosstrek for a week and some change, while the tech stuff was very cool (compared the my car now), there isn't ant guts to the car and it doesn't have the "driving" feeling that I'm looking for. Time to look at the Sportwagen.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Proposed Budget: $35,000 (but lower the better)
New or Used: New or pre-owned certified
Body Style: I'm all over the place, but a 4-door compact, mid-sized or crossover is where I'm doing my research.
How will you be using the car?: Everyday driving and parking in the city. Once a week I commute, but that's about it.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, Size is important, not willing to go to large on the car since I have to do 100% city parking. If I currently drive a smaller car, what is the transition like going to a much larger car? Will I notice a 10" increase? 20"? 15"?

I currently dive a 2008 GTI and I love the drat thing. It's quick, its compact and it has tons of space in the back. But, I have a kid on the way so I'm probably going to need a 4-door, the 2-door is hard enough for people to get in and out, let alone an infant in a baby bucket. Another reason why I love the car is that it's only 165.8″ in length and being in the city, it has helped me get into spaces that I wouldn't have been able to get into otherwise.

Here is what I've looked into...

Subaru Crosstrek - Drove one for a week, liked the tech stuff in it, but there wasn't enough power in the car.

Hyundai Sonata - Drove one for a week. No power, no guts, interior feels "cheap".

Volkswagen GLI - This car appeals to me, seems to have a lot of what I want, but the length much longer than I'm used to at 185.1″. I hear it's basically a GTI just longer.

Volkswagen GTI - Just get one in a four door? Maybe.

Volkswagen Tiguan - Is this underpowered for the size?

Honda CRV / Toyota Rav4 - 180.6" in length, seems to have all the safety and tech features I would want.

I'm basically all over the place and a bit confused as to what to get. Are there any good hybrid options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a CPO 2018 Tiguan SEL w/ 4Motion for ~31K out the door. Am I crazy here? I really like the Tiguan and the SEL. I wanted the SEL trim because I wasn't planning on buy another car for at least 10 years. My last car was a 2008 GTI for roughly the same price with no features at all. According to KBB it seems to be a good price. But it just seems expensive to me? Is the 31K a good price?