Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
I need a car...

Proposed Budget: I’d like to stay between 10-15 thousand, but would probably go up to 20 thousand.
New or Used: With my proposed budget I’m most likely looking at used, which is fine by me.

Body Style: I’d like midsize if possible. Something very Jetta like but definitely NOT a VW.

How will you be using the car?: Most of the time there will just be 1 or 2 people in the car, but I do have nieces and nephews I need to haul around occasionally. My commute is only 30 miles round trip per day. But 4 or 5 times a year I go on pretty long road trips and can easily do 1000 miles in 2 or 3 days. Don’t need any gizmos.

What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability and cost of maintenance is huge for me. I’m in the mid-west USA.

I had a 2002 VW Jetta V6 as my last car. Loved the car… HATED VW service and will not buy another VW ever. That being said I would love a very Jetta like car that is reliable and when something does go wrong it doesn’t cost me big $$$. I’d like a car I can do a lot of maintenance on myself or at a local garage. With my Jetta a lot of things could only be fixed by the dealer service…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Bovril Delight posted:

Is this what the dealer told you? Because lol.

No... this is what more than 1 local garage that I and my family have used for 25+ years have told me. They just refuse to work on Jettas or VWs in general because they simply don't want to hassle that always comes along with them. I could go on and on... I've got probably a dozen horror stories over the last 10 years... but one of the most telling stories is this... I'll make it as short as possible.

Car acting up. Drive to dealership service. The transmission is going out. They give me a price of like $4500. I call around, find an Ammco that will do it for $3000. I tell VW forget it, Ammco is going to do it. I guess VW didn't like this fact. I send a tow truck to VW to get car and take it to Ammco. I get a call from the tow truck driver. He is at the dealership and the service manager doesn't know what he is talking about. It may have been a different guy then I dealt with I don't know. I have to drive to the dealership point out my car to the tow truck driver and we hook up and pull out together. No one ever even comes out to question what we are doing once I got there, which tells me they new exactly what was up with my car, they just lied to the tow truck driver to be dicks. I don't go in to confront anyone, I'm just happy to be getting my car off their lot. Tow truck driver says that is the dumbest most petty thing he has ever heard of. I tell Ammco... again it's the one of the most ridiculous service stories he has heard.

So a week later I go to pick up my car at Ammco. The manager tells me what a hassle it was to get parts from VW through that same dealership. He'd call in parts numbers and they wouldn't know what part he was talking about, etc. Just all around giving him a hard time. He ended up faxing them a picture of the exact part boldly circled before he got anything out of them. Then the Ammco guy says to me... "After hearing your story and going through what I had to go through with them... you should really think about suing them, and if you do I will back up 100% any way I can. You should at least write a letter to corporate, and I'll co-sign on whatever you want. They just can't treat there customers this way."

I never did write a letter or anything. I just said I would never go back to them.

Now the current local garage I'm using has a personal friend of 30 years as the head mechanic and he just will not touch a VW beyond changing the oil and the like. This is the same garage that does all the work on my mom's Lexus, and Ford 250 diesel pick-up, my sisters Neon, etc.

So in short my 3 favorite local garages will not touch VW engines. Period. So I keep getting pushed back to VW service... and I have serious been to every one of them in a 100 mile radius all with varying levels of dis-satisfaction.

Currently... I took my Jetta to my local and they said, "We think it's a timing issue but we won't touch it with a ten foot pole." I go to the last VW dealer I haven't had a problem with yet. I tell them I think it's a timing thing. They say it's probably a fuse. A fuse? wtf? After a week they say it's a CAM sensor... $566... I say fine... another week passes... VW says something else is wrong it has no compression and we don't know why, it will cost you another $300 for us to find out. I say I''l probably just junk it then. He says he wants to work with me and will try to figure something out and call me back.

I come here for help finding a NON-VW vehicle.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Throatwarbler posted:

You could get a new Elantra for somewhere between $15k-$20k. It will have a 5 year/60k bumper to bumper warranty and a 10 year/100k powertrain warranty.

Alternatively, a Chrysler 200 or Dodge Avenger can be had with a V6 for very little, I've heard of people getting a V6 new for under $20k. They'll do everything you ask of, have a V6 power and are very reliable.

Thanks. I'll look into them.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
I'm looking at new Elantras in my area, just on the internet so far, and even though they say they start at $16,900... they are all listed at $19,900...

Do they really have $3000 worth of bells and whistles on them? I don't need bells and whistles.

They have a USED 2011 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sdn 2.4 Auto SE with 38,050 miles. Any idea how much this would run? This particular dealership doesn't list prices for whatever reason.

Currently liking these deals...
EDIT: Certified 2011 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sdn Auto GLS for $14,48
or
New 2013 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sdn Auto GLS PZEV for $17,497

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 19, 2013

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Are manual Elantras super rare or something? No dealers near me have any at all.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
I'm in Ohio.

So I'm looking at a 2013 Elantra A/T with the "preferred package" for $17,429.00. And that's after all rebates, incentives, taxes, & fees, etc..

I can do the same in a manual for $16,429.00.

I'm going to do the A/T, I think... and try to get them to throw in free mud flaps, ($95)... and tell them they have a deal.

Good? Bad?

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Is there really a "best" time of year, or time of month, to buy a car or is that a myth? Like the "we have to sell all the 2013s right now to make room for the 2014s so we are just giving these cars away" thing.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
I'm currently negotiating with a dealer on a Hyundai Elantra. We are going back and forth via e-mail and he just seems to be avoid simple and direct questions and it's driving me crazy. It's making me not trust him. I've met him in person, test drove the car with him a few weeks ago, he has given me a price, that I have basically agreed to, without stating that directly.

The reason I haven't given him a verbal commitment is he seems to be refusing to answer these 2 questions.

- "Is the car we are talking about the one we test drove?"

- "What option package does the car we are talking about have?"

Why would he avoid answering these questions? I'm sure he wants to talk me into more options etc., but it makes me not trust him.

I have the VIN # and have checked the specific car on-line. It lists the "package" this car "has"... but then in small print it says options may vary talk to your dealer. I'm trying to talk to my dealer and he doesn't seem to want to answer my questions via e-mail.

It's kind of the principle of the thing now with me. If I go to the lot and I'm not getting what I think I'm getting I'm just going to be wasting everybody's time.

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 20, 2013

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
I'm looking at a 2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS automatic "preferred package". I've been looking for awhile and haven't pulled the trigger for a million not relevant to this thread reasons...

Anyway, I asked when they would get the 2014s in... they said November... but the 2013s would be a much better deal... I don't doubt this at all of course... but just in general is their any rule of thumb kind of advice anyone has about buying a car late in the year?

If I hold out til October 31st am I going to potentially save a bunch of money as apposed to buying it tomorrow?

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Anyone want to do a compare and contrast, or just give their opinion, of a Dodge Dart?

I was basically sold on the Hyundai Elantra Sedan... but every Hyundai dealer I've dealt with gets shady when we get close to a price. "oh YOU must have misunderstood the price is actually +$1500" seems to be a common theme. It's probably all car dealers but it almost seems like they sent all the Hyundai dealers to the same seminar or something.

Anyway... I'm back to square one... so I'm open to anything like an Elantra or Jetta, but not including them. I noticed some "what happened to VW?" posts above. I had a Jetta for the last 12 years and in my case their service specifically is what will prevent me from ever owning another VW. I loved the car.

So how does a Dodge Dart match up against and Elantra?

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Leperflesh posted:

You do understand that dealerships are independent, right? I mean, if what you're saying is that your Jetta needed an unreasonable amount of service, that makes sense. If what you're saying is that the quality of service you received at your local VW dealership was unacceptable... that should not reflect on your opinion of the carmaker at all really.

As a rule of thumb, out-of-warranty service shouldn't be done at a dealership anyway, the markup is huge compared to an independent mechanic.

I'm also disappointed with the apparently down-market push of the new Jetta, so irrespective of the above, I can't blame you for not wanting one.

I understand that. I tried 5 different dealers for service within a 60 mile radius during my 12 years of owning a VW. I found only 1 to be anything close to fair and professional. 3 garages, non-VW dealers, I use simply refused to work on VWs for a variety of reasons, the main one being lack of cooperation with VW itself in ordering parts etc. I loved my Jetta but always felt held hostage by it as well. I have a million horror stories. When a local garage I have dealt with my entire life, that I trust, encourage me to sue VW with their backing something somewhere is wrong. I'll take my chances with someone else.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Need some math help....

Probably going to buy a Chevy Cruze tomorrow. I'm crunching a bunch of numbers to find my sweet spot price.

What am I getting wrong with TOTAL INTEREST on my Excel sheet versus the Edmunds calculator?

I'm hoping to get my monthly payments around $300... so I'm kind of working backwards to find the right out the door total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Guinness posted:

You only calculated 1 year's worth of interest in your spreadsheet.

Thanks... I'm an idiot.