Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

I need a car reccomendation.. sort of. I have it narrowed a bit but further input would be wonderful.
Proposed budget: $2-3k
New or Used: Used.
How will you be using the car? Occasional daily driver, mountain people hauler. I have a work vehicle so this is primarily a spare time/ durable adventure vehicle. I need something with very few trail/road limitations within reason; Think hosed up forest service roads/washouts, not crawling.

Which aspects are most important to you
Reliability, simplicity. I need to be able to depend on it in the middle of know-where, cheap parts and easy fixes are a major plus. I can do a good deal of my own mechanical work within reason.

Capability, I need it to be durable and capable with possible aftermarket support.

Fuel Economy: Its difficult but I would prefer better than 15MPG if possible. Range is good, and paying for premium gas gets old. Not interested in diesel.

Carry people and stuff, 2+ seats minimum.
Engine power: I can sacrifice on this, barring the vehicle being underpowered to the point of being unsafe.

I have a few in mind.
First generation Toyota 4runner 22re etc. 90+ Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 6Cyl. Maybe a second generation 4runner but I'm wary of the 3VZ-E, I would consider a wrangler but XJ's seem to be a better bang for the buck in my low, low budget.

Really leaning towards the first generation 4runner. They look kind of goofy but they are okay on gas, seem pretty drat capable. My dog would like the rear window. My girlfriend wouldn't want to be seen in one-- Ha.

for reference: I'm in the mountains quite a bit, my Subaru doesn't have the ground clearance or ability to use lockers that I may be interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

Any particular reason you chose the LeSabre and Taurus?

Seems like you should be able to get a solid Accord/Camry/Maxima for that kind of cash-- what area are you in?

I would steer clear of the LeSabre at 94k, and the Taurus and get something japanese with mileage over the 100k mark, or around 50k-- so you either get it before or after some of the major servicing should have been done-- timing and other stuff.

If you are hoping to stick with US cars: seems like you could probably get a decent little Ford Focus in that budget, just avoid the first few years.

charliecantsurf fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 20, 2012