Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
When exactly was the watershed moment for Hyundai getting good?

I used to think it was around 2007, with the introduction of the i30 (Elantra Touring in the US), but I've been hearing that other 2006-2007 models are underappreciated as well and the NF Sonatas seem to offer quite a lot of car for comparatively reasonable money.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

We want to get a new car.

Currently we have a Volvo V40 from 1997 or whatever. I like it and enjoy driving it, but it just guzzles petrol too much and is just old and crappy. I want something cheaper. I live in Holland where diesel is taxed pretty heavily, and insurance depends on the weight of the car, so I'm thinking a simple regular petrol hatchback, second hand for less than about 5000 euros. Definitely manual transmission, I don't like automatic much. It doesn't have to be fast or anything, just efficient, but preferably with enough space in the back to store a pair of suitcases and comfortable enough to occasionally drive long distances. I will be using it on the highway maybe once a week, but mostly I will just use it to get groceries and stuff. I live in a rural area.

I'm 6'1, but I guess I'll have to trade in some comfort anyway if I want an efficient car.

Currently I'm considering:
Toyota Aygo
Volkswagen Polo or Up
Peugeot 107 or 206
Citroen C1

I'm mostly leaning towards the Aygo or the 107. Of course there are many websites here where I can find out which one is cheapest exactly, but I want to hear subjective accounts. Is there a particular car which you liked or hated? Are there things which I'm overlooking or models I should consider?

Your criteria are nearly identical to mine and I have spent way too much time researching them during the past couple of months. 5000 Euros buy you a lot of a small car and there's a lot of cars to choose from. Polo (as well as the other cars sharing the platform - such as the Seat Ibiza and Škoda Fabia) is a solid choice. The Aygo, 107 and C1 are the same car and are a good choice as well, even though they are quite small. Make sure to drive one and to ride in one before you decide.

You might want to consider a 2001-2007 Honda Jazz (that would be my recommendation) or a 2005-2008 Ford Fiesta. I would not recommend the 206 and have no opinion on the Up, as I don't think you can buy one for 5000 yet.